Collapse
22 results in 0.0302 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• Joanna
    replied to Gemstones and wood
    I've been using black Onyx beads for bird eyes for a while. You can buy strands of many different sizes (and varieties of semiprecious gemstones) at fairly reasonable prices. I drill a hole around the same size as the bead and fill it with jewelry glue and set the eye in.

I would...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Joanna
    replied to Burls - drying questions
    Dale, where about in Wisconsin? Maybe my husband found these in your neck of the woods. We live up by the big Lake, but he got a lot of these in the Green Bay area.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Joanna

I imagine you have plenty of room to store them for me, after all I did say I needed them out of my sight (So I could resist the temptation of working with them before they are dried down)

Funny you should mention ebay. Last month, I was splurging on a few...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Joanna
    Thanks for the replies. I'll have to look into the Greenwood sealer and Anchor Sealer. I'm a cheapskate, so that's why I was thinking cheap, old latex.

They have been cut around 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 thick. It take a few extra passes with the planer to get the chainsaw marks out so I made...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Joanna
    started a topic Burls - drying questions

Burls - drying questions

I've been fortunate enough to have a husband that's been bringing me home a bunch of different burls (cherry, maple, oak). I do intarsia so the useful sizes for me are around 1 inch thick, so what we've been doing is slicing most of them with the chainsaw ( I do have one large enough for his band mill,...
    See more | Go to post

• I actually have grown to like the sanding part over time. It's when the true character of the wood starts to pop out.

I think a big part of it is getting the right tools, equipment and sand paper.
    I have a 1 x 42 inch belt sander for the heavy duty shaping, several random orbit...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Joanna
    replied to mahogany wood
    The mahogany I mainly work with is from South America (goes under the name Genuine Mahogany) and it is fairly soft.
    I did get a piece of African mahogany a while back and it was definitely harder (more of a brownish red color VS the nice rusty red of the S. American type)

I've...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• I hoard every brown paper bag I get. Works great for the final buffing too. I know a cabinet maker who using them all the time and his finish is silky smooth.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Joanna
    replied to Blade Question
    the down side is diamond blades need to be run with a lubricant of some type, water or special cutting oils, or the diamond coating wears off right away once it gets too hot. Been dreaming of how to make this work for a while since I've been bitten by the lapidary bug last year. Would love to work...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Joanna
    replied to I've Done It Now
    Way to go! Hopefully you'll find yourself with the so called dreaded problem of keeping your inventory up We don't have any craft malls around here so I've never done them, but I've been in some artist coops and sell through consignment gift stores.

The invaluable advice I've gotten...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Joanna
    replied to What type of wood do you like
    Yep, My main work is intarsia. I really don't consider most of the woods I work with exotic, the only two I buy is mahogany and ziricote (use to use wenge). The rest is milled on our sawmill. I guess I think of exotic as from other countries. Most my wood comes from WI, MN and MI, and sometimes...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Joanna
    replied to What type of wood do you like
    My favorites change from month to month. Lately I've been working with some mesquite lumber which I think is sort of unique. It has some interesting grain character, easy to cut although it is on the heavier side and wow, my garage smells wonderful. Sure can't over look walnut either, very nice to...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Joanna
    replied to Dewalt788
    My Dewalt lasted me 1 year and 2 weeks, when the motor went and the warranty ran out. Cost around $200 to fix, but the worst part was I waited around a month and a half for it to be fixed Got it back, it ran for another 4-5 months and the speed control went haywire! It is now a expensive coat...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Joanna
    replied to Pricing your Work
    ALL expenses (health, vehicle, garage and house insurances, food, entertainment, not a big one there, new vehicle, dentists, clothes, all shop expenses, land taxes, etc.) were paid from scrolling untill I got married 2 years ago. If it didn't, there was no one else to pay it.

I had...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Joanna
    replied to Pricing your Work
    Wow, I have to take exception to the idea that it's not possible to be a full time scroll saw artist without hiring people (that would be like a painter hiring someone to help them paint pictures!) or wholesaling. I know several people, myself included (8 years full time), that pay all the bills and...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Answered
  • Show
  • New Topics
Clear All
No content found
Show More

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
  • New Topics
Clear All
Please log in to your account to view your subscribed posts.
Directory Topics Posts Last Post
Magazine and Members
Welcome Members
A place to introduce yourself and chat about things not necessarily relating to scroll saws or scrolling.
Topics: 3,846 Posts: 28,065
3,846 28,065
Ennobee
by Ennobee
Woodworking Show and Open House
Fox Chapel's Open House and Woodworking Show. www.wood-show.com
Topics: 64 Posts: 666
64 666
Rolf
by Rolf
Author Questions
Post your questions for various Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing authors.
Topics: 320 Posts: 2,390
Last Post: Clock parts ?
320 2,390
Rolf
by Rolf
Off Topic
Here you can discuss anything off topic or just plain chat!
Topics: 9,748 Posts: 106,053
Last Post: Frustrated
9,748 106,053
Daddy's scroller
Sub-Forums:
Jokes (470/1,313)
Special Publicity
A place to post achievement you are proud of: Magazine or Newspaper write ups, shameless self-promotion, etc. Please do not post scrolling projects here.
Topics: 234 Posts: 3,045
Last Post: Man Cave gift
234 3,045
Hobie1dog
Publisher Feedback
Post any feedback you have on Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts magazine or Fox Chapel Publishing Books
Topics: 1,174 Posts: 12,302
1,174 12,302
Upcoming Events
Post announcements of upcoming shows or events.
Topics: 234 Posts: 2,072
234 2,072
Scroll Saw
Beginners Scroll Saw
Post your beginners scroll saw questions here.
Topics: 2,314 Posts: 23,390
Last Post: Bigger Projects
2,314 23,390
Chance13
General Scroll Saw
Post your scroll saw projects that don't fit into any other category or general scroll saw questions here.
Topics: 6,445 Posts: 59,233
6,445 59,233
Sandy Oaks
Works in Process
Post photos and descriptions of ongoing projects
Topics: 1,812 Posts: 20,448
Last Post: House warming sign
1,812 20,448
garryatpa
Scroll Saw Business Side
A place to discuss the business side of scroll sawing, including selling patterns or selling scroll saw artwork.
Topics: 901 Posts: 10,458
Last Post: New season starts
901 10,458
will8989
Scroll Saw Puzzles
A place to post completed puzzles and discuss puzzles and puzzle-making on a scroll saw
Topics: 2,271 Posts: 22,716
Last Post: Creative Station
2,271 22,716
Rolf
by Rolf
Wooden Toys & Scale Models
Post wooden toy project and scale model ideas and projects here.
Topics: 600 Posts: 7,055
600 7,055
Intarsia, Inlay, and Segmentation
A place to post photos and questions about using different colors of wood to create an image.
Topics: 2,481 Posts: 35,055
2,481 35,055
Bowls, Boxes, Compound, and other 3-D Projects
A place to discuss three-dimensional scroll saw projects such as bowls, boxes, and compound-cut designs.
Topics: 2,118 Posts: 21,454
Last Post: A few bowls
2,118 21,454
garryatpa
Fretwork and Portraits
A place to post your fretwork, clock-making, and portrait projects and questions about fretwork, clock-making, and portraits.
Topics: 4,385 Posts: 44,271
Last Post: cross by Sue May
4,385 44,271
meydenhart
Wood Finishing and Painting
A place to discuss your finishing techniques or products.
Topics: 1,123 Posts: 9,711
Last Post: Finish on Aspen
1,123 9,711
jim_mex
by jim_mex
Tools and Blades
A place to discuss tools, blades, and other mechanical issues.
Topics: 4,270 Posts: 38,509
4,270 38,509
Wood and Materials
A place to discuss wood and other materials for scrolling.
Topics: 1,205 Posts: 10,280
1,205 10,280
Info Exchange
Post scrolling tips and ideas here. The best of the best may be used in the magazine.
Topics: 622 Posts: 5,666
622 5,666
cwmagee
by cwmagee
Patterns
New Scroll Saw Patterns or Designs
A place for designers to show off their new designs or patterns.
Topics: 255 Posts: 1,475
Last Post: Two toy airplanes
255 1,475
Ennobee
by Ennobee
Scroll Saw Pattern Requests
A place to request a scroll saw pattern from the resident designers.
Topics: 2,964 Posts: 15,446
Last Post: Manta Ray
2,964 15,446
Linda In Phoenix
Free Scroll Saw Pattern Vault
A repository of free scroll saw patterns sorted by type.
Topics: 38 Posts: 135
38 135
Scroll Saw Design Tutorials
Tutorials and methods on making scroll saw patterns.
Topics: 89 Posts: 648
89 648
FAQ
Message Board FAQ, Suggestions and Feedback
Post your questions, suggestions and feedback on using the message board.
Topics: 538 Posts: 3,562
538 3,562
Working...
X