Search Result

Collapse
18 results in 0.0078 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• Re: Finishing technique

I should have mentioned that the table these carvings were placed on for the photos was one of the pieces of raw oak I finished with tung oil. It is our dining table and has survived the teen-age years of two boys.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Re: Finishing technique

I have tried the boiled linseed oil a couple of times. It is ok on a smooth carving where it can be rubbed in. My preference is to use tung oil. It works well even in rough areas and crevices. I use the Formby's low gloss (high gloss has more varnish) and put on...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Paul_Guraedy
    replied to Micro gouge
    Re: Micro gouge

Thanks Nancy. I use these small tools a lot and may just go ahead and buy the stubai. Although the Dockyards have done me well, I have been extremely careful with them. Think I will see if the Stubai is a little more substantial.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Paul_Guraedy
    replied to Micro gouge
    Re: Micro gouge

Dockyard is what I broke, but only the veiner. I do not want to buy another whole set to get the one tool. I have tried to find a good photo of the stubai but cannot find one. I am concerned that the shank be as thin or thinner than the gouge. May just have to order the...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Paul_Guraedy
    started a topic Micro gouge

Micro gouge

I broke one of my micro gouges recently and am looking for a replacement. The ones I have now came in a set and I do not want to go that route again. I am looking for something like a #11 veiner in .5 or 1.0mm. I have seen pictures of a couple but I want one that has a shaft as thin as or thinner than...
    See more | Go to post

• Paul_Guraedy
    started a topic Deep and Shallow Relief

Deep and Shallow Relief

I got into relief carving by chance. The instructor I wanted at the Woodcarver's Rendezvous was full. I knew of John Engler's reputation as a painter so decided to sign up with him. I got two things from this session. First, I found that I enjoy relief carving and, second, that I love the way watercolor...
    See more | Go to post

• I am still having trouble understanding the necessity of the ranking. The number of posts are shown on the message board. Why do we also need another methodology?
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• I was designated as junior member and am now member. Did I get demoted?
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• To use terms like junior and senior, which designate rank, will lead to a lot of posts simply to reach a goal. A lot of talk does not necessarily mean a lot of useful information. Ranking implies ability, but as what talker or carver? We should not go so far as to list anyone as master carver. Even...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Paul_Guraedy
    replied to Painting supplies
    Re: Painting supplies

The method that I use for watercolor painting was learned from John Engler (relief carver/painter from Springfield, MO). I liked the transparency of the paint and the fact that the final color is developed through the use of several washes. I think this gives much...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Paul_Guraedy
    replied to Painting supplies
    Re: Painting supplies

Just returned from the Woodcarving Rendezvous (Branson, MO) and was looking over the messages. Came to this one and received some good information. But, also noticed that two on-line suppliers were not listed. Cheap Joe's and Daniel Smith. I would suggest getting...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Paul_Guraedy
    replied to Butternut
    Re: Butternut

Nancy, thanks for posting Dale's phone number. I had a card of his at one time, but, can't find it. Intended to get one next spring at the seminar. Most of my basswood and all of my butternut (I buy more than I need each spring and stash it back) has come from Dale. It is...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Paul_Guraedy
    replied to Butternut
    Re: Butternut

I would watch the price. Auctions are notorious for both incredible savings and prices waaaay too high. If the price is right, I would buy it. Even if I did not intend immediate use.

It carves well with both power and hand tools. Finishes a beautiful light...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Paul_Guraedy
    replied to Wood Differences
    Re: Wood Differences

Tupelo comes from the tree that we called 'Tupelo Gum' in Louisiana where it grows and I was raised. Cypress 'knees' are the roots of the Cypress tree that grow up through the mud and water in the swamp to allow the tree to breathe. Tupelo is very much like basswood...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Paul_Guraedy
    replied to Relief finish?
    Re: Relief finish?

One of the things I like about tung oil is that it changes the color of the wood less than anything else I have tried. I started using it in the late 1970's on unfinished oak furniture that I was purchasing. Over the years this wood has aged to a rich golden color....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Time
  • Answered
  • Show
  • New Topics
Clear All
No content found
Show More

• Time
  • Show
  • New Topics
Clear All
Please log in to your account to view your subscribed posts.
Directory Topics Posts Last Post
Magazine and Members
Welcome Members
A place to introduce yourself and chat about things not necessarily relating to scroll saws or scrolling.
Topics: 3,912 Posts: 28,571
Last Post:
3,912 28,571
Brueckwald72
Woodworking Show and Open House
Fox Chapel's Open House and Woodworking Show. www.wood-show.com
Topics: 68 Posts: 680
68 680
Author Questions
Post your questions for various Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing authors.
Topics: 328 Posts: 2,440
328 2,440
tgiro01
by tgiro01
Off Topic
Here you can discuss anything off topic or just plain chat!
Topics: 9,909 Posts: 107,269
Last Post:
9,909 107,269
NC Scroller
Sub-Forums:
Jokes (476/1,332)
Special Publicity
A place to post achievement you are proud of: Magazine or Newspaper write ups, shameless self-promotion, etc. Please do not post scrolling projects here.
Topics: 234 Posts: 3,046
Last Post:
234 3,046
bstark
by bstark
Publisher Feedback
Post any feedback you have on Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts magazine or Fox Chapel Publishing Books
Topics: 1,183 Posts: 12,424
1,183 12,424
Rolf
by Rolf
Upcoming Events
Post announcements of upcoming shows or events.
Topics: 238 Posts: 2,102
238 2,102
Scroll Saw
Beginners Scroll Saw
Post your beginners scroll saw questions here.
Topics: 2,347 Posts: 23,722
Last Post:
2,347 23,722
NC Scroller
General Scroll Saw
Post your scroll saw projects that don't fit into any other category or general scroll saw questions here.
Topics: 6,525 Posts: 59,785
6,525 59,785
Works in Process
Post photos and descriptions of ongoing projects
Topics: 1,843 Posts: 20,695
1,843 20,695
Scroll Saw Business Side
A place to discuss the business side of scroll sawing, including selling patterns or selling scroll saw artwork.
Topics: 922 Posts: 10,669
Last Post:
922 10,669
will8989
Scroll Saw Puzzles
A place to post completed puzzles and discuss puzzles and puzzle-making on a scroll saw
Topics: 2,301 Posts: 22,881
2,301 22,881
Rolf
by Rolf
Wooden Toys & Scale Models
Post wooden toy project and scale model ideas and projects here.
Topics: 607 Posts: 7,094
607 7,094
Rolf
by Rolf
Intarsia, Inlay, and Segmentation
A place to post photos and questions about using different colors of wood to create an image.
Topics: 2,514 Posts: 35,316
2,514 35,316
tgiro01
by tgiro01
Bowls, Boxes, Compound, and other 3-D Projects
A place to discuss three-dimensional scroll saw projects such as bowls, boxes, and compound-cut designs.
Topics: 2,196 Posts: 21,836
Last Post:
2,196 21,836
alexscrollsaw
Fretwork and Portraits
A place to post your fretwork, clock-making, and portrait projects and questions about fretwork, clock-making, and portraits.
Topics: 4,395 Posts: 44,334
Last Post:
4,395 44,334
Sandy Oaks
Wood Finishing and Painting
A place to discuss your finishing techniques or products.
Topics: 1,135 Posts: 9,799
1,135 9,799
Tools and Blades
A place to discuss tools, blades, and other mechanical issues.
Topics: 4,353 Posts: 39,083
4,353 39,083
Wood and Materials
A place to discuss wood and other materials for scrolling.
Topics: 1,217 Posts: 10,383
Last Post:
1,217 10,383
will8989
Info Exchange
Post scrolling tips and ideas here. The best of the best may be used in the magazine.
Topics: 626 Posts: 5,693
626 5,693
Rolf
by Rolf
Patterns
New Scroll Saw Patterns or Designs
A place for designers to show off their new designs or patterns.
Topics: 257 Posts: 1,477
Last Post:
257 1,477
Ed Lesko
Scroll Saw Pattern Requests
A place to request a scroll saw pattern from the resident designers.
Topics: 2,972 Posts: 15,483
2,972 15,483
Free Scroll Saw Pattern Vault
A repository of free scroll saw patterns sorted by type.
Topics: 39 Posts: 136
Last Post:
39 136
houtje
by houtje
Scroll Saw Design Tutorials
Tutorials and methods on making scroll saw patterns.
Topics: 89 Posts: 648
89 648
FAQ
Message Board FAQ, Suggestions and Feedback
Post your questions, suggestions and feedback on using the message board.
Topics: 544 Posts: 3,595
544 3,595
Rolf
by Rolf
Working...