Lineworker on Basswood blank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lineworker on Basswood blank

Just finished cutting this pattern on a Basswood blank. Have done this pattern on plaques for lineworkers but thought this would be something to try.
    How have others finished basswood blanks? I think it needs a little tint.

Attached Files

I used those basswood blanks a lot some time ago, I found that unless you first use a coat or two of sanding sealer, they do not take stain real well. Often they turn out blotchy - technical term.. And sometimes they still do after the sanding sealer

I used poly on the live edge too, that held it together better than anything else
    Jim
    Texas - The Republic
    With the exception of hand guns and Tequila, computers have caused more problems than anything else

Comment

Nice work! Who did the design?
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

When I made bowls from basswood and aspen slices, I had a terrible time with blotching, even with super blonde shellac. The blotching was just as apparent on the bowl sides, which were straight grain, as they were on the bottoms, which were end grain. I actually sanded away all the shellac for a fresh start, since the appearance was not acceptable.

My solution was to use shellac on the bark, both the rough outer areas and the darker edges of the faces. This stabilizes the bark, minimizing its tendency to break off in pieces, and heightens the contrast between the dark and light areas. For the light areas, I used several coats of water based poly, which gave a lovely luster and no blotching. I experimented with wax, and found the effect was too minimal to make much of a difference.

I think, given the complexity of the fretwork on the slice (beautifully cut!), that darkening the bark areas to heighten the contrast might be sufficient. If you want a more "finished" look, adding a coat of Minwax Polycrylic should do the job. However, before proceeding with any finish, try it out on the underside of the slice for a real-time preview.

Hope this helps, and please post the results once you've made your decision!
        Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
          Nice work! Who did the design?
          The pattern was done by Gayle on The Scroller Cafe.

Comment

I tried Natural stain with clear coat. Not happy with results. Should have use sanding sealer. Have stained pine a lot and never gave it a thought until too late. Going to look at other options in the future.
            Attached Files

Comment

Very nice job. I think if you put a black backer on the piece it will really make it POP. Try it by laying the project on a dark surface.
              Scott
              Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I have 14 slices of this to make a gift for my family. The slices came from my niece’s wedding in May. As she was going to the burn bin with them, I stopped her and said I would make something for family out of them. Of course I did. They were part of a decoration on the tables. People took the decoration but not the round. So no finish is best? I need to slice part of the bottom so it will stand on a shelf or table so I can experiment on the slice. Gees, Should started this in June.
                Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Life can flip in one phone call. There is now an urgency to finish this project so I will just cut and sand it. Bruce and I are fine but a family member isn’t. Please give good thoughts and prayers. Our entire family needs them. And we know what a large family that is. I’ll fill you in when the time is right it just isn’t now. 💔
                  Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Stay strong, Betty. We’re here for you.
                    Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks Carole.
                      Betty

Comment

Originally posted by will8989 View Post
                        Life can flip in one phone call. There is now an urgency to finish this project so I will just cut and sand it. Bruce and I are fine but a family member isn’t. Please give good thoughts and prayers. Our entire family needs them. And we know what a large family that is. I’ll fill you in when the time is right it just isn’t now. 💔
                        🙏 for your family.
                        Scott
                        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
                          Reply to Harbor Fraught
                          by Rolf
                          I did not read the fine print, actually not that fine. when I went to buy my new compressor for 25% off (not). That would have been nice, but I am still happy with my purchase. Although I have not used it yet as my garage is rather cold.
                          7 deg this morning 50's tomorrow
                          Today, 09:22 AM
                        • Jimern
                          Reply to Harbor Fraught
                          by Jimern
                          Some manufacturers will restrict items for resale to a certain price or basement price. And in some cases will only sell with the agreement of no discounts allowed.

And then there is margin, the retailer needs to make a certain amount of money on all sales.​
                          Today, 09:20 AM
                        • Rolf
                          Reply to Pegas Scroll Saw speed changes randomly
                          by Rolf
                          Have you had big temperature swings in the shop? My first thought is something binding. I fix all of my own stuff and don't hesitate to take things apart to try and isolate where the issue is.
                          That said at only two years old I would contact Denny and see if he can direct you to a Pegas tech center....
                          Today, 09:15 AM
                        • NC Scroller
                          Reply to Pegas Scroll Saw speed changes randomly
                          by NC Scroller
                          Welcome. Could be a number of things. I would call Denny at Art Crafters of Dayton or Ray at Seyco. Both numbers can be found on the internet.
                          Today, 06:47 AM
                        • NC Scroller
                          Reply to Question about tilting head saws
                          by NC Scroller
                          I still use my factory dust collector on my pre Chinese Ex21. No, not for everything that I cut but primarily for compound cutting where we generate a lot of sawdust. I did enhance my dust collector by replacing the membrane wit a piece made on a 3D printer. The enhancements gives a bit of extra...
                          Today, 06:41 AM
                        Working...
                        X