House warming sign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House warming sign

A while ago a friend requested that I make a sign as a house warming gift they wanted to give. They then went ahead and drew up the design and purchased a wood cutting board to make the sign on. The wood is olive about 18 x 10 inches 3/4 inch thick. My friend wanted the main lettering , "Home Sweet Home" in raised letters and a larger font so I tilted my saw table to four degrees to saw out this part. The raised and recessed parts are then glued in place after the letters were sanded. The name and other letters are much smaller font and so I was not able to raise them so they are sawn as I would normally saw fretwork with the table flat. I plan on putting a black backer from 1/8 plywood on the back of the sign which will give some extra strength to the small sections of lettering. The house outlined on the right side has the gable end of the roof raised and the door recessed for added interest, again sawn at a 4 degree tilt. The door when recessed poked through the back so I sawed the back off with a flush cut hand saw. The viening outline of the walls and floor of the house was sawn first with a Pegas #5 MGT blade followed with a #2 spiral blade to widen the cut and make the outline more visible. I was concerned with the knots and grain of the wood but it has held together well.

Just a comment about the cutting board - It was purchased at Winner's". I find that stores like Winner's , Thrift Stores, etc. have excellent wood cutting boards, trays, shallow wood dishes, etc that provide wood that can be used for some very interesting scroll saw projects.

Garry
    l DSCN7543.jpg

Garry the image is very small and a bit hard to see your details. But I really like what you have done. Your suggestion about wood sources is really appreciated.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Thanks Rolf. Here is a larger picture . I have had problems getting picture attachments to load. DSCN7543.jpg

Comment

That is some mighty fine cutting.
        Denny
        ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

I like everything about that ! the wood and the raised letters really make it. Actually all of the details.
          Rolf
          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Amazing work. Bruce’s new favorite place is Marshall’s. We found a large bamboo cutting board for $4 that will make something great.
            Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
              I like everything about that ! the wood and the raised letters really make it. Actually all of the details.
              I have to echo what Rolf said. That is a very unique and clever presentation. Well done!
              Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Thank you all for your comments and encouragement.

will8989 - Yes there are some gorgeous pieces of wood out there of different species at reasonable prices.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jim McDonald
                  Reply to Hello from Central Florida
                  by Jim McDonald
                  Used a 788 for many years. It now resides with a crafty family friend.
                  Questions are answered freely around here and no one has any tricks they don't freely share.
                  Yesterday, 09:08 PM
                • mtwoodguy
                  Reply to Hello from Central Florida
                  by mtwoodguy
                  Welcome! John! From Reno NV. A long time 788 user (I'm94) I'm sure you will get many happy hours from the repairs you placed on the machine.
                  Yesterday, 06:45 PM
                • John Smith
                  Hello from Central Florida
                  by John Smith
                  I'm 74, retired from the commercial dimensional advertising world. (carved and routed signs).
                  I've always used the Roto-Zip, band saw, or other tools to make my projects. (wishing many times I had a good scroll saw). Well, I finally found an old DW-788 that the original owner said "it finally...
                  Yesterday, 05:51 PM
                • Linda In Phoenix
                  Reply to What's a good stain product?
                  by Linda In Phoenix
                  I use acrylic paint mixed with water to stain when I want vibrant colors. There was an article in one of the issues awhile back where a product called "Unicorn Spit" was suggested for the colors---and many people swear by it....
                  Yesterday, 10:24 AM
                • Linda In Phoenix
                  Reply to Phone call from son.
                  by Linda In Phoenix
                  Oh my gosh Betty....Your son is fortunate to be alive. How badly stung was he by the hornets? Electrical shock is crazy dangerous. Wow.
                  Yesterday, 10:21 AM
                Working...
                X