My beauties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My beauties

Here are 5 of the baskets finished. The walnut one is 18” and the round one 14”. They are so pretty, if I do say so myself. The first one is my favorite. Oh yeah, Bruce made 3 dough boards and we sold one to our first customer Sunday. He’s going to use it as an art piece. He bought the one with the Paduk in the center. Need to get a picture of the other one we have left. They are 24”x24”. His next project is some sort of special bread board requested by the bread maker at the market. He’s the one who got Bruce making the coffee grinders and dough boards. Listen to your customers, they have great ideas! Now, to find my mind I seem to have misplaced.
    Attached Files
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Outstanding work. Love them all.

Comment

Some absolutely great looking projects there.
      Jim
      When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
      Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Wonderful projects, Betty. You must be the basket queen.
        Denny
        ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

I started making these about 20 years ago when John Nelson had a pattern in creative crafts. I thought I can make that. And here I am 1000+ made later.
          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

You are one busy lady. About how long does it take to cut one?
            Scott
            Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I now you do beautiful work but I have to say your attention to details on these baskets is impressive. soft smooth edges, no visible glue squeeze out. And of course the cutting boards are beautiful. I am guessing that Bruce cut a spline in the end of the board and then dowels. I have not seen that done before and I really like it.
              Rolf
              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

He puts biscuts between the long pieces, is that what you meant? He has stainless screws in the lips then puts the plugs on top of that. Scott, cutting one doesn’t take long. It’s the removing of the tiny drill hole, spraying each piece with distilled water, letting dry, sanding and sometimes flap sanding. Bruce routes the top rung inside and out and the bottom piece. Than I’m ready to glue and cleaning up squeeze out. I’ve gotten pretty good on the squeeze out part. And the black light helps. Then I’m ready to dip. That’s why I do 8-10 at a time. When people tell me the wood feels “soft” I know I did it right! Update, Bruce is at the market this morning and I’m getting things ready for our biggest week-end of the year, 11/5-7. I’m at a 3 day show, Bruce will be there on Friday, and he will be at the market Saturday and Sunday. He leaves the market Sunday to help me pack up. My sister in law will be with me on Saturday and she’s excited to help. Love my family. Update: Bruce called and sold both dough boards to the same person, the wife couldn’t make up her mind, and a large basket. Another person was interested in one so Bruce told he’ll havesome in 3 weeks. We’re selling the boards for $185.00 each and the basket was my favorite, news flash they all are, for $85.00. Off to Gruff’s tomorrow for more wood for dough boards. I’ll be buried under sawdust if you don’t hear from me in a while! As Carter used to say “Have Phun”.
                Betty

Comment

Looks like glass with the sun shining through it.
                  Attached Files
                  Betty

Comment

I have dozens of basket patterns I inherited.... maybe I ought to give one a try sometime. Never made one yet, but yours always look so very nice!
                    Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Betty, I was talking about the bottom of the paduk board with what looks like dowel plugs. You say there are screws under those plugs? Are the screws going into a cross piece that holds the wood strips together?
                      Rolf
                      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Rolf, a dough board is not the same as a cutting board. The end pieces form a bench hook to hold the board in place. You can't see it from the posted photos, so here's a commercial dough board that may clarify things.

shopping.png
                        Attached Files
                        Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

What Carole said. The lips are 1 1/2”, holds the board to the counter and keeps the flour from going off the back. After gluing them to the board, he drilled stainless screws through the lip into the board and made plugs to fill the holes. The board is 3/4” thick. Since he only has 4 large Bessy clamps it takes 3 days to glue up the long strips. He has 5 biscuits between each strip, than glues the halves together. He hand scrapes the glue off, he uses a lot of glue, sands on the sander and final hand sand finish with 1000 grit. He than glues the lips on, screws them to the board and puts plugs in. The maker at the market makes over 150 loaves of sourdough bread a week and they are all made on the board. His cranberry sourdough bread is amazing!

Linda, I got hooked on these baskets from a John Nelson pattern when I first started selling. The rest is history.
                          Last edited by will8989; 10-20-2021, 08:51 AM.
                          Betty

Comment

The boards and baskets are beautiful, but maybe buy Bruce some more clamps, also I see you are on the night shift again, RJ
                            Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

He has 4 of the long ones, but we have other sizes that he uses for clamping up his cheese board slicers, another good seller. They go for $35, left over wood from dough board. On late shift yesterday because I took a 2 hour nap around 7. Off to the saw! I have 8 days of shows in 2 weekends! And one of them Has buses coming in Saturday.
                              Attached Files
                              Betty

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X