John Nelson basket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Nelson basket

Much easier to cut these baskets with a larger top on my saw. The basket with the pattern is a John Nelson pattern that I have made hundreds of times. I shrink it, stretch it and sometimes cut the right size! I make the big baskets around the holidays and they sell like crazy. This one is 16” x 7”. My biggest is 18” x however wide my wood is, usually 8” or 9”. I got my saw Jan, 2002, and this pattern was in creative crafts June, 2002. Been cutting them ever since! Thanks, John, Customers love the shape. The square is one I made with Dave Van Ess program many years ago. This is 13x13. This pattern also makes a nice rectangle basket when I stretch it. Put the size of wood in my rapid resizer program and presto! A pattern the correct size. I’ll post pictures when finished.
    Attached Files
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

How do you finish these, Betty?
    Denny
    ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Thant is a really nice basket. What wood did you use?
      Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Hi Will. I'm new to scrolling and haven't tried any baskets or bowls. This one looks pretty neat and I may have to look a pattern and give it a try. Nice job.

Comment

My go to finish Denny. I use 50/50 mineral oil and mineral spirits for everything. Makes the grain really pop. Mostly figured cherry and walnut with sapwood on the end. Customers love it. Most of the cherry Bruce gets from the sawmill that was cut last year. The rest we get from Groff & Groff. They have the best, ready to use wood - planned flat and ready to light sand. tried other woods but customers seem to like these two the most. The boards standing all came from the sawmill. The cherry is so pretty and will be fun to work with.
          Rodney, these baskets are easy. Just make sure table is square, ise right blade and drill bit marks sanded out. Hands on time for the basket was less than 1 1/2 hours and I sold it for $60.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by will8989; 09-04-2021, 09:25 PM.
          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Nice work as usual! You have some very nicely figured wood there. Is the last picture poplar?
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Yes. Bruce and the “gang” at the sawmill processed it about 6 weeks ago. I got a whole stack of rainbow. He brought it home, the moisture was 23%. We stacked, stickered and tied down with straps and had a fan on low on it for 4 weeks. Friday it was 10%, flat as a pancake. Plan on working on a piece of it this week to see how it will hold up. Last week they did quarter sawn sycamore. We have 3 pieces drying.
              Betty

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X