Mother's Day Rose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mother's Day Rose

I'm new to the forum and decided to post one of my earlier projects. I've only been scrolling for about four months now and this is one I did for Mother's Day. The piece is 1 1/2 inches thick and due to my inexperience I allowed the blade to flex during the cuts. You can tell by the cuts along the bottom edge of the piece where the blade crossed over into the neighboring fret. I added a backer for stability. The piece was very delicate without the backer and there was no doubt it would have broken. The wood is pine and what I liked is the knot that traveled along the length of the piece. It was cut with a FD #5 Ultra Reverse. The pattern is from Steve Good's collection. Hope you enjoy.
    momrose.jpg

Thanks for sharing, Nice work.

Comment

That is really well done, especially considering the wood and thickness. Pine has such a variation in the grain density, the blade loves to track along the soft stuff. Also the saw has to be perfectly aligned and the pushing sideways is a tendency I still fight after 17 years of cutting.
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Pine is a softwood but not a easy wood to cut as Rolf said. You did very well with only limited experience. Be proud of that. Keep at it. I would recommend you cut that again in say 6 months once you have more experience. . A good wood choose for that would be soft maple.
        Scott
        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Very pretty. You did an excellent job. Like Scott says, recut it in 6 months to see the difference. But I would choose cherry that has a pink tint to it.
          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X