Something to make dealing with Covid bearable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something to make dealing with Covid bearable

Been working with a lot of teeth this week and I'm not even a dentist. I think it's up over 200 now. And I'm still sane! I think. IMG_20200828_204801.jpg Going to be attached to one of the barn doors I just made for the basement "wrecked room". Not really going to lock anything but it will be functional. Think bank vault. LOL
    Pop
    Delta 16" 40-530
    Ryobi 16" VS

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember it was amateurs that built the ARK but Professionals that built the Titanic!"

That is very interesting! How did you design and cut the gears?

Comment

A free program I've had for quite q while called 'Gear generator'. It does 1 or 2 gears at a time, pin gears, rack gears, chains, sprockets, etc. A very nice design program.
      The rest is done on my Ryobi 16" scroll saw.
      Last edited by Pop; 08-29-2020, 02:30 PM.
      Pop
      Delta 16" 40-530
      Ryobi 16" VS

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember it was amateurs that built the ARK but Professionals that built the Titanic!"

Comment

Pop I really envy you. I don't think I have the patience to do something like that just for looks.
        Scott
        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

NC .. It's not patience. I believe it started out as boredom lately. LOL I actually started scrolling back in the mid 70's. I'd scroll.. break a lot of blades and quit. Even sold the saw. Bought another saw sometime in the early 80's. Used it for a while and broke a LOT of blades Gave it to a buddy. I turned 60 back in 2007. I started with my Delta determined to master the darn thing. I guess it was more patience than anything else back then. The rest is history. I'm pretty sure at least 10% of any project I do now involves the scroll saw. Who said an old dog can't learn new tricks. LOL
          Pop
          Delta 16" 40-530
          Ryobi 16" VS

Comment

This was really cool. You must enjoy mechanically based things.
            Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

POP, What a fun project.
              I have that program, I wish it allowed you to design an entire gear train instead of just two at a time.
              Rolf
              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Hi Pop - Your project definitely goes past my attention span limit of anything I might wish to tackle but this doesnt take away anything from it.

A really neat idea, great scrolling work and I can't wait to see the end result mounted.
                Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
                - Albert Einstein

Comment

Mounted the gears on the furnace door today and started the right side latch assembly. Only got about 2hours in before hands and hips gave out. It doesn't look too bad.. Just a little lost in the middle of the door. Latch works fine. I made it so the latch can be raised without using the gear process for normal storage/furnace work. Still some tweaking to do but it'll have to wait a couple days. Any suggestions?
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Pop; 09-04-2020, 08:23 PM. Reason: Added text
                  Pop
                  Delta 16" 40-530
                  Ryobi 16" VS

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Quartz43
                    Reply to Scroll Saw Shells
                    by Quartz43
                    I would not use regular plywood but Baltic Birch is different. On Steve Garrisons Facebook page someone posted a shell with either Baltic Birch or something like Spectraply. I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of tearing or splintering with either cutting or sanding.

Using solid...
                    Today, 09:09 AM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to countdown for Bruce.
                    by will8989
                    Bruce took the “zipper”ff today. Yep, the stitches were zipper type. When we were packing up at the market Sunday, the coffee vendor asked if we wanted a taste of his chocolate whiskey coffee. We said no thanks. After driving to Annapolis in the truck today to get Elliott, Bruce said he was going...
                    Yesterday, 10:12 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Scroll Saw Shells
                    by will8989
                    I usually don’t use plywood, but I think it works beautifully with these patterns. On my to do list in January.
                    Yesterday, 10:02 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Back in the saddle again
                    by will8989
                    I enlarge and shrink patterns all time. I use rapid resizer. I did locate some scrap wood that would be perfect for the smaller size. I also mad some of the nativity Steve had a week ago. I’m taking stuff to the market for feedback. Of the 11 ornaments I took last week I came home with 3. Guess you...
                    Yesterday, 09:59 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Starting again
                    by will8989
                    And to do something different. I’m trying to schedule part or a whole day to bowl grinding. Of course, we had a 7 year old visitor most of the day as he had a half day today. So much for using the grinder. instead I put a bandaid on a scratch on his elbow so he “wouldn’t bleed to death”. Than...
                    Yesterday, 09:55 PM
                  Working...
                  X