I would like your help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would like your help

I started this 13 years ago, put it away in a box after having bought the pattern and wood. (I could not cut it. It was before learning about using tape and the right blade) Thanks to Scott's post yesterday I woke up at 3 am thinking about what to make. I dug out my old box of wood (most still unwrapped) to make something for myself . Before I start, my first question to this group is which way should the wood grain go (in my 3/4 hardwood I like the grain going up and down). I am not sure for this as I do very little thin wood cutting.. I do know I will use some BB as a carrier for some of the delicate fretcuts. Thanks to Bob Duncan I learned a lot about cutting 1/4 wood and using a pin nailer.

Thanks In advance Here is what I picked. (I am sure I will have more questions) going to use 1/4 Red oak and 1/8 Red oak plywood.

Dp573 Bell Tower.png
    Last edited by keystonecop; 08-07-2020, 04:58 PM.
    The other John A. Nelson
    johnsworkshop.com
    sigpic
    I just follow the lines and make sawdust
    on a Seyco ST-21 and a Yellow DW788

As intricate as that fretwork is, as long as the grain is running the same way, I don't think there will be any visual disturbances.
    Lots of blade entries there, so I wish you steady hands and great patience.
    Last edited by Jim McDonald; 08-08-2020, 09:34 AM. Reason: Added: grain
    Jim
    When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
    Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

What did I say? Whatever it was I am truly sorry.

Just my two cents but on small pieces like that the grain will hardly be noticeable.
      Scott
      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Wow, John, that is sure a wonderful piece. Dianne said that if I tried it and a little piece broke, the rest would go into the fire pit. I think I will scroll Baby Animal puzzles. LOL
        Denny
        ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

that is agood looking clock when its done. I built one and I had the Grain going up & down.

Comment

If I understand you correctly you will be using red oak plywood. If it is solid red oak I would suggest some other wood. Red oak is notorious, at least in my experience to self destruct along the strong grain lines. This will be delicate no matter what solid wood you use. I like Cherry. JMO
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
              If I understand you correctly you will be using red oak plywood. If it is solid red oak I would suggest some other wood. Red oak is notorious, at least in my experience to self destruct along the strong grain lines. This will be delicate no matter what solid wood you use. I like Cherry. JMO
              The 1/4 is solid.. at least this time I will know that it is not all me and can blame part of it on the wood.. My go to wood is cherry and black walnut. a few weeks ago I cut a piece in 3/4 red oak and snapped a piece..
              The other John A. Nelson
              johnsworkshop.com
              sigpic
              I just follow the lines and make sawdust
              on a Seyco ST-21 and a Yellow DW788

Comment

That's a nice project. Looking forward to seeing yours when done.

As for grain direction, does the pattern offer any guidance? Sometimes there are indicator lines on the pattern for each piece, showing the recommended grain direction. If not, then it's up to your best judgement. There really is no practical way to avoid narrow, delicate cross grain areas in fretwork like that, but I would tend to run the grain in the direction of the longest dimension of each piece.
                Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X