A discussion about wood thickness.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A discussion about wood thickness.

If a project in the magazine specifies say 1/2 inch or thinner woods, would you build it as designed? Or would you modify to suite the wood thickness that you may have on hand?
    I am talking about projects where the thickness is more for aesthetics than functionality.

I look for proportion and the visual appeal of thinks I build.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

It would depend on the project. I have laminated at times to add thickness and I have scaled patterns to fig a piece of stock, but going from a prescribed thick stock to thinner (on hand wood) has never slowed me down.
    Sometimes i have a piece of wood that works perfectly around knots or live edge with a certain pattern and I never consider the thickness.
    Jim
    When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
    Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

As Jim said it is project specific. Normally I prefer thicker before I like the extra depth. Thicker is less prone to breakage. The only real advantage to thinner is allows for stack cutting.

Now from perspective of using what an author says in an article I normally use what I have on hand.
      Scott
      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I tend to be one of those persons who follows the recipe exactly when I cook and stress if I don’t have exactly what is called for. I tended to be the same way with woodworking. As a result, if it called for 1/2” I would try to use that figuring there was a good reason that they specified 1/2”. My hubby is is different, he improvises and changes things up when he cooks. Is the same way when he does his wood working. Always making it different then the plans usually. I will say, with my woodworking at least, I have gotten a bit better. I might try different thickness depending on the project.
        Last edited by meflick; 08-06-2020, 06:57 AM.
        Melanie from East TN

Comment

During the mid 2000s, I bought a lot of wood on e-bay for basically shipping, mostly the post office fixed rate boxes full of thin hardwoods and still have a lot of it left. If I want to cut a pattern I will adjust the thickness as necessary to use what I have on hand. I will also copy the pattern larger or smaller if I think a different size will be better.

Comment

If it's a piece of flatwork, I'll adjust the thickness to suit my circumstances. For example, I cut several of this pattern last Christmas.

It was designed to be cut from 1/2" stock. Since I wanted to stack cut several, I used 1/8" BB ply, then overlayed it with a piece of 1/2" red oak, with the oval cut out and the plaque mounted on the back, showing through the oval opening. The 1/2' oak overlay acted as a frame and set the piece off nicely. I used a piece of heavy red card stock as a backer, so I varied from the pattern quite a bit, both in material used and overal aesthetics.
            Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Bill, very nice! I see it is a Sheila Landry design. What is the overall size.?
              Rolf
              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

The picture is directly form her site. I like her and Keith's patterns very much.

I think the size is somewhere around 8" x 16". Mine ended up a little larger, due to the way I made it. I think it ended up closer to 10" x 20" or thereabouts.
                Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

I tend to go with what thickness I have in stock or what I can easily source provided it gives me the end result I'm looking for. Generally the thicker I can get away with without losing the aesthetic appeal is the way I will go.

Since I rarely use other people's patterns I don't have the issue of confirming to their suggestions.

Scott - that golf tale is a good reason for never taking up this pastime!
                  Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
                  - Albert Einstein

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X