Unfinished segmentation/carving project needs a hand! - A Work in Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfinished segmentation/carving project needs a hand! - A Work in Progress

Hi - I originally posted this thread in the Off Topic section but decided to move it here and edit the original message a little.

About 9 years back I bought a Foredom rotary tool with the intention of trying my hand at carving and this reminded me of a whimsical segmentation/carving project I started way back then and never finished. For the past 7 years I have been working away from my home in Mexico for almost all of the time and have not been able to get back into any form of woodcraft. Finally retirement has caught up with me and as I am now home based I can now return to playing with wood.

I can't remember if I posted this project on the forum as a WIP at the time but after replying to a recent post where I mentioned my Foredom this prompted me to look for the pieces of this project and after 2 hours of digging through my junk storage room I finally found them.

Looking back at this project the painting, choice of colors and overall finishing is a little bit crude but overall it seemed to be gelling together.

I don't remember how I ended up with the idea of the clown juggling a series of carved objects instead of conventional balls but I remember having a lot of fun thinking of new ideas for each one of them. The intention was to make about 10 - 12 of these 'objects' but I seem to have 'bombed' out after the 7th one!

Prompted by Carole's post reply below I now have every intention of finishing this project and by posting this thread this should commit me to getting it done. Thanks Carole!

I'm open to suggestions to add a few more 'objects' but please,a coronavirus is not an option!!

The clown stands at 14" tall and yes, he still needs a second hand to juggle the 3" diam x 1 1/8" - 1 1/4" thick objects

The images below show where I got to plus I've added a photo I found of the clown in his 'naked' form to show the depth and shaping of his body.

The clown - minus a hand and some additional painting

SS-01.jpg

A load of ... objects!

B-01.jpg

image_75290.jpg

B-02.jpg

b-04.jpg

B-05.jpg

B-06.jpg

B-07.jpg

clown 1.jpg

Disclaimer - no animals were harmed nor were any ladybugs eaten in this project

Keep smiling - safe in the knowledge that only you will really know if you are sane or demented
    Last edited by jim_mex; 05-24-2020, 06:44 PM.
    Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
    - Albert Einstein

I love the folk art quality, Jim. It just cries out for completion! Your talents have taken a second seat to your various adventures--it's nice to be reminded of what you can do.

I'm sure you were pleased to find the various pieces, and hope you get some good ideas in response to your post. If I think of any, I'll be sure to add them to the mix.
    Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by handibunny View Post
      I love the folk art quality, Jim. It just cries out for completion!
      Thanks Carole - Folk art definitely sums up this project. This was probably subconsciously the Mexican side of me coming to the fore as I love Mexican folk art plus its a good excuse for not seeking perfection in my projects.

Having now posted this project I'm committed to finishing it once my gray cells have swirled around a little to conjure, or rather juggle, with a few ideas to complete it. In fact you've just given me one but I'm not going to rabbit on about it!

Cheers
      Jim

Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Jim,

With your wit and creativity, I am certain the gray matter will produce something worth a smile or two.
        cwmagee
        aka Fibber
        Producer of fancy firewood​

Comment

Thanks cw - the gray cells are moving. Your post has just given me another eye-dea
          Last edited by jim_mex; 05-16-2020, 08:52 AM.
          Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Hey Jim what about a lighter with flame?

Karl
            Karl in Sunny Southwest Florida

Comment

You might also consider the possibility of submitting a segmentation project to the magazine. You are an excellent writer and something with a bit of whimsy would be great a nice change of pace.
              Rolf
              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Maybe an Aztec sun symbol?
                Scott
                Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Karl - I searched on Google last night for ideas for circular lighters. There are some but I'm struggling to work out how I could incorporate the flip up flint striker and a flame and still retain a circular shape but I haven't given up on idea yet....

Scott - Geez! your idea should have been the first thing to come to my mind given my dual nationality - LOL!

Rolf - you are too kind... but maybe you have sowed a seed of an idea coupled with Carole's description of this project as 'folk art'. Let's see how this turns out....

Thanks to all
                  Jim
                  Last edited by jim_mex; 05-17-2020, 10:37 PM.
                  Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Jim, looking at the Clown, you would have given Gepeto a run for his money.
                    Rolf

Comment

Rolf - I think your nose may be growing after that comment!

Scott - your Aztec sun idea is godly and a winner for my next object and I hope to have something to show by the end of the day.
                      Look out Tonatiuh, you're about to be re-created.

Update 24 hrs later - Argh! famous last words ref the Aztec sun god. I've binned three carving attempts today. The pattern I came up with is too intricate to carve on a 3" diam. blank of the pìece of wood I found so I might have to go for a simple painted blank instead. I'll maybe also try a bit of pyrography work after I found my woodburner today - another tool I barely used after I bought it!
                      Last edited by jim_mex; 05-19-2020, 07:52 PM.
                      Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Ok - I've hit a road block which has had me tearing my hair out for the past 48 hrs

I found an image of the Aztec Sun God, Tonatiuh to base my next object on - the same image depicted at the center of the famous Aztec calendar. When I scaled it to fit the 3" diam blanks for the juggling 'objects' it was much too detailed to carve even after simplifying it by removing a number of detail lines.

After wasting a full day working on this and ruining 3 blanks I decided it would be easier to simply paint the design using fine black outlines for the critical parts of the face to be filled in with color.

Part of the reason for this choice is that I've always had a steady hand and been able to paint fine lines without a problem. Well that was before I lost my left eye! I've now lost this painting ability for the simple reason that due to my problem of lack of depth of vision I can't judge where the tip of my fine paintbrush is when making contact with the wood.

Sketching on wood or paper with a pencil or even carving wood is something I can still do because I can lightly touch the surface first to find out if I am in the right place and then apply pressure and either draw or carve but with painting if I accidentally misplace the tip of the paintbrush it leaves paint in the wrong place.

I'm looking for a work around but sad to say that I am going to have to abandon Tonatiuh, and come up with another idea for a Mexican sun which I may have now found.

The positive take from this experience is that I have at least recognized I have a limitation going forward to take into consideration for future projects and I am now certain that a retirement occupation as a master forger of paintings is no longer an option!

To be continued ....

Jim

Last edited by jim_mex; 05-22-2020, 10:40 AM.
                        Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

You are indeed on a creative path of delightfulness. Go with the flow and keep us posted
                          Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Jim, you are a breath of fresh to this forum, Every post from you makes me realize just how much you were missed!
                            Rolf

Comment

Ok folks - well this morning started off bright and early with a flash of creativity to master this sun 'object'.

Having totally abandoned any really fine carving or detailed painting I came up with the following:

Step 1. I cut another 3" diam blank but this time from 5/8" thick stock instead of 1 1/8" - I'll explain why later.

I rounded over the top edge using sandpaper whilst rotating the blank in my drill press with the aid of a screw inserted into the center point of the back of the blank - my work around for not having a lathe.

Step 2. I adjusted the saw table to a 5 degree tilt and cut out a circle of 1 3/4" diam.

sun01.jpg

The large pilot hole for my heavy duty blade will get filled with a little wood filler later on. No big deal as this piece is going to be painted and this will cover any evidence of the filler

Step 3. I checked the protrusion of the center disk by pushing it upwards into the original blank - 5 degrees was a good guess!

sun02.jpg

Step 3 - I drew some artwork on the two pieces as a guide to carving/cutting. This usually gets changed a little as I go along and make a few mistakes or adjustments on the way.

sun03.jpg

Step 4 - I carved the face using a combination of different Dremel fine carving and sanding tools. Sorry, I thought I'd taken a photo of the face at this stage but it didn't show.

Step 5 - I glued the carved face into the outer ring to give the latter strength prior to cutting the radial points of the outer part of the sun.

Step 6 - Using a combination of hand sanding and Dremel sanding I gave some shape to the outer ring radial points

This is what this assembly looks like. Definitely not precision carving but folksy enough for this project.

sun04.jpg

Now under normal circumstances I'd finish this item before posting but this morning my work came to an abrupt and surprising halt.

My wooden bar stool which I work from when scrolling and carving suddenly collapsed on me whilst I was cutting a second 5/8" blank, depositing me in a heap on the floor! Fortunately I escaped no serious injury or damage as result of the fall but I have to find another stool before I can continue with this project.

I kid not! Here is the evidence! - LOL!

stool.jpg

More to come but my shop is getting too hot to work at the moment. The midday Mexican sun is affecting progress on my sun - LOL!
                              Last edited by jim_mex; 05-24-2020, 03:14 PM.
                              Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X