AJs unicorn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AJs unicorn

I got it cut and that was a challenge. Started with #5 Pegas gmt and it was worse than cutting cherry wood with a #5. Went to a #7 and that worked pretty good except I have a lot of sanding to do as it left a rough cut. When I bought this wood years ago I was told it was popular but I’ve never had poplar cut that crummy. Anyway, it will be beautiful after I am finished and the glitter is applied. After all, what is a unicorn without glitter. Purple, her favorite color. Then I have the basket Steve had on his site for Sammy. She loves flowers and this reminds me so much of our hours in Wildflower fields in Texas. Then the Guardian Angel for Ben and something for Chris and Elliott. AJs needs to be there by end of May. The other 3 by June 13 and Elliott’s by end of July!
    Attached Files
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

​​​​​​Betty that is beautiful. The wood looks like poplar. The issues you had cutting and cleanup is you are cutting the end grain and not across the grain as we normally do.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

looks good. How thick is the wood? I have just started using Pegas modified geometry blades. have cut a lot of 3/4 cherry without any problems with both #3 and #5.. I have some #7 Flying Dutchman Ultra reverse.. Never found anything to use them on. If I have wood over 3/4 of an inch I go to blades without reverse teeth.. works better for me, but might not be right for everyone..
      The other John A. Nelson
      johnsworkshop.com
      sigpic
      I just follow the lines and make sawdust
      on a Seyco ST-21 and a Yellow DW788

Comment

Betty,
        beautiful piece, I think i seen that horse in the field down the road here, RJ
        Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

Beautiful work Betty. She is sure to love it. Your family sounds like mine, lots of May, June, July bdays. Glad I had my kids later in the year (although too close to Christmas is not necessarily a good thing either. 😉😄)
          Melanie from East TN

Comment

It was in that cotton field by Talley road RJ with purple glitter flowing behind. You’re right Scott, it is because I’m cutting across the grain because of the cut of wood. Something to keep in mind for next time. Besides all 5 grandkids from End of May to July, there is my son’s birthday, daughter’s, niece, and mine. We won’t even discuss December!
            Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I found something with a learning curve more challenging than the grinder- painting glitter on a unicorn cut on wood!! Good thing I practiced and it may go without the glitter.
              Betty

Comment

What side do you like best? I’ll be sending them all down together in a few weeks so they can open them together.we like the top one better. I just used my usual oil dip and I really like it.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by will8989; 05-23-2020, 08:23 PM.
                Betty

Comment

Very nice work Betty and a greta choice of pattern.

Cutting this type of thicker stock is not something I have never tried. Put it down to lack of patience drilling out those holes and threading the blades through them. Maybe one day...

Good advice from Scott whci8h I've committed to memory.

It's difficult to pick which side is best but I think I'd opt for the image on the right.
                  Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
                  - Albert Einstein

Comment

It looks thicker than it is. It’s only 3/4” but with it being cut across the trunk, I was cutting across the grain the whole time. Not too many holes or small ones in this one. Now the one I am doing for Samantha is a different story. After about 45 minutes my eyes blurred up so that was the end of cutting for the day. It’s Steve Goode’s flower basket pattern from a few weeks ago.
                    Betty

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X