Airplane crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airplane crash

While my 1/36 Fokker Trimotor turned out halfway decent, an attempt to cut the design 1/2 as big out of 1/4 basswood failed miserably: pieces broke under my scrollsaw, broke when I tried to assemble them and broke when I tried to screw on the wheels and propellers - even as I had no problems with that inthe bigger model. My efforts crashed- quite literally.

Ah, well.it did give.a few good pictures.

Back to the drawing board.
    Attached Files

How discouraging!
    Denny
    ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Change it up and try again! Looks like a good first effort. Good luck from a model airplane builder! Steve

Comment

Do you attribute it to the size or the wood? While I have not attempted a plane I have played with sizes on compound cutting and find smaller needs a harder and denser wood.
        Scott
        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Basswood is way too soft. Poplar or plywood would be a better choice.
          Rolf
          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Thanks, Rolf. I figured that one out as all my plugs started breaking in their slots. Version. II will be made out of 1/4 scrap oak and 1/8 mahogany.

​​​​​​ editor_20200503_124156.jpg

Comment

editor_20200517_175844.jpg
              Two weeks on and of two prototypes later I actually produced an airplane I can be proud off- sorta. Because in the end I got it done by throwing out everything hat es too small and to complicated for my scrollsawing skills. I don't have Rolf 's fine motoric skills and eagle eyes.

editor_20200517_175711.jpg
              So instead of moving props these ones here are sawn directly from the engine pods. The 'circles' for the rotary engines were left out and after cracking up the landing gear struts 2 times in a row, I replaced them with toothpicks. In the end, the airplane clocked in at 5 pieces, down from an original 13.

editor_20200517_175334.jpg

In the end, although I managed to get a passable airplane, I decided this 1/100 scale is way too small. 1/48 was real nice, but a bit big. So I will rework the plans for 1/72 Scale. Last try before moving on to new adventures...

editor_20200517_180742.jpg
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Ennobee; 05-17-2020, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Well done. Great results. Trial and error worked out.
                Scott
                Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Very well done. Love the look against the sky.
                  Denny
                  ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Ennobee, It looks good, how about a side by side picture of the two sizes. I love these old airplanes I used to have a book with illustrations of many of the older air planes. Where are you getting these technical drawings ?

In my former job I spent a lot of time working with a microscope plucking wires that were .001" thick with tweezers the wires were spaced on .004" centers. So working on the small stuff is still doable. The attached image is typical of the things we did. wirebonding.jpg
                    Rolf

Comment

Hi Rolf. Here are two pictures I shot yesterday of the two airplanes side by side.
                      editor_20200518_124155.jpg
                      ​The bigger one has a 'saddle' over it's engine pods forming the front of the radial engines. Also with 1/2 in thick wood, I could just screw on the propellers. All of this I experimented with on the 1/100 scale model, but had to ditch them for a simpler solution.

editor_20200518_124400.jpg
                      The technical drawings I use for starting point come off the internet - thanks, Google- but just a good 3-side view and some measurements like span and length to determine the scale are good enough. The inspiration I get, just like you from loafing hrough lots of old books.

Comment

fokker-trimotor-america-feb-1970-aam-1200px.gif
                        Ps, Here is the picture I used for the model. I don't know where exactly I found it, other than that I got it of the 'images' tab afrer typing 'Fokker VII' into my search engine.

Comment

Thanks, lots of inspiration with so little time.
                          Rolf

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                            Thanks, lots of inspiration with so little time.
                            Welcome to my life....

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X