My first intarsia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first intarsia

I finally jumped down the “rabbit hole” of intarsia. After I cut this I had it sitting where I had to look at it everyday and finally thought, now or never. I think I nailed the flower. I had all the leaves done then found some green poplar and recut them. It really doesn’t take as long as I thought it would. I figured out a sand and roll movement with my guinevere system. Opinions wanted.
    Attached Files
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Very nice cutting and selection of wood, looking forward to seeing it completed, RJ
    Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

Looks very good so far! Keep up the good work.

"Time to give back."
      "Time to Give Back"

Comment

Nice shaping on the flower. I also like your wood selection. This is a bad move on your part. Out of all my scrolling work Intarsia is my favorite as it really allows you to make each piece your own.
        Look forward to seeing it finished.
        Rolf
        RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Very well done. Betty. The shaping is right on.
          Denny
          ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Very nicely done, Betty. Can't wait to see the finished project.

Be careful - this stuff is addictive.
            Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

Like the others, can't wait to see what the finish does to it.
              Jim
              When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
              Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Thank you for all the encouragement and compliments. With the Guinevere it is really easy to shape. Besides, Bruce bought me the complete system about 5 years ago and he is glad I’m finally using it!! As for the finish, what do I use? I know some use a gel, but don’t know what kind.
                Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Nice work, Regarding the finish, check JGR's web site. Recently she did a study on finishes and effect of the color change with age on various woods.
                  cwmagee
                  aka Fibber
                  Producer of fancy firewood​

Comment

Beautiful Betty. I think any brand gel poly will work. You want to apply the finish BEFORE you glue your pieces to the backer board. When doing the glue up apply glue only to the back of your pieces.
                    Scott
                    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Thanks for the info. The flower is aromatic cedar, which I know changes color when finished. I want to keep it as close as possible to the color it is now. I have lost of scraps to test on before I put the finish on. I'm sure I'll be back for more advice as I get further into this project. This is turning into a "group project." I couldn't do it without everyone!!
                      Betty

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X