My first and last(?) intarsia.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first and last(?) intarsia.

i finally started an intarsia project. Did the preliminary sanding on the edges and rest by hand today. It fits pretty good except for the stem which I may recut. Since I didn’t have any of dark green wood, I cut stem and leaves from poplar and will use green paint. I will try mixing some paint with the gel finish before applying to see what it does. I know at the last open house Janette said the best green poplar that doesn’t fade is from old chicken coops. Not having access to any coops, that was my best thought. Critique welcome. And RJ notice the time?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by will8989; 01-23-2019, 01:20 PM.
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Looking like the first of many Intarsia pieces for you. Nice!
    Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

You are off to a good start, Betty.
      Denny
      ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Betty,
        well good afternoon, I think that looks great, you have done an excellent job on it, and look forward to seeing more of your intrarsa pieces, that is something I have not done yet, and don’t know if I ever would do, thx for showing, RJ
        Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

Go for it Betty and one forum tip someone suggested I should follow when I produced my first intarsia/segmentation piece.

Keep it for yourself and sign and date the reverse side of it and hang it up somewhere prominent where you can see it.

Always be proud of that first project you made and use it as yardstick to gauge your progress as you become more proficient in this craft form.

Jim
          Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
          - Albert Einstein

Comment

Jim, I have the first of alot that I have made. I look at them, especially the baskets, and think I’ve come a long way baby!!! Lol. Linda, I was eying the angel on the issue of the magazine. That actually looks easy. I just have to work everything into my schedule of shows that start end of March for 7 weeks. On top of that, I’ve been wearing glasses since mid December as I lost a contact. I have an eye dr appt in 2 weeks for my six month exam and cataract evaluation. Hence, sometimes things are clear as a bell but a lot of times blurry. I can only work for about 2 hours before it starts to bother me. And driving well, Bruce takes me everywhere. And I don’t even have to ask.
            Last edited by will8989; 01-25-2019, 11:03 PM.
            Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Betty great progress. I find the more accurate you cut the easier it gets.
              Scott
              Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Betty, looks like you are doing well with it. I hope it won’t be your last. Sorry you are missing contacts and having to wait to see the eye Dr,
                Melanie from East TN

Comment

ISo what are you trying to say Scott? HUH? LOL Haven't been able to do any sanding as Bruce has the area tied up finishing the last cabinet for the kitchen. Right now it is laying on the floor in my sewing room. He glued the face frame & put in the screws yesterday. I "only" count 32 but that isn't the back side as it is laying on that so I guess we can add another 14. Next are the two doors so hopefully it will be done by this week-end. Today he took off and is at a bandsaw class one of the guys from the woodworkers club is having. Tomorrow is sawmill day. Sure am enjoying my quiet time!!! Butin the meantime I am enjoying my new kitchen!! I even cook 4 days a week. I was wrong on the back screws I counted 40.
                  Last edited by will8989; 01-29-2019, 06:00 PM.
                  Betty

Comment

Do the angel Betty! You know you want to!
                    Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Yes I do Linda. LOL she looks “more friendly” for a beginner intarsia work. Maybe 2, one for each granddaughter. Supposed to be 60 this Tuesday so I will take my tools outside to work on the cross. Looking forward to it as long as my eyes hold up. My eye dr appt is this Thursday. It takes 4months to get an appt for one of the yearly tests I need done and this appt was made in August that’s why I didn’t want to change it.
                      Betty

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Don in Brooklin On
                        Reply to wipe on poly and tack cloth
                        by Don in Brooklin On
                        I use wipe on poly quite often and I apply 2 thin coats before sanding with 220 or 320. I wipe with a lint free. Someone told me not to use tack cloth as you can leave behind a wee bit of beeswax witch could cause issues later on.

I make sure that the surface is dry and not tacky before...
                        Yesterday, 05:41 AM
                      • dwssr2
                        wipe on poly and tack cloth
                        by dwssr2
                        Question, when sanding polyurethane in between coats, using a tack cloth, is it ok to wipe on poly while the project seems tacky or should a person wait a few hours to let it dry?
                        How necessary is it to sand between coats of polyurethane? I am sure people have a lot of different opinions and...
                        04-24-2019, 05:58 PM
                      • tgiro01
                        Reply to Do you know what this Is?
                        by tgiro01
                        Betty asked: "Where does the responsibility of the maker of an item end and the responsibility of the purchaser begin? My sealife puzzle is purchased by older people due to its complexity but - if they leave it laying around and a child gets a part and chokes, is that my responsibility or theirs?"...
                        04-24-2019, 12:20 PM
                      • RJweb
                        by RJweb
                        The problem now a days everyone is sue happy, no matter who’s at fault, RJ...
                        04-24-2019, 10:03 AM
                      • will8989
                        by will8989
                        Don’t forget to carry insurance if you sell a lot. It’s a necessary expense and a good "silent" partner and hope it stays that way. Where does the responsibility of the maker of an item end and the responsibility of the purchaser begin? My sealife puzzle is purchased by older people due...
                        04-24-2019, 08:44 AM
                      Working...
                      X