Nut cracker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nut cracker

It's been a while but now that I'm settled into the new digs and the shop is ready to do some serious saw dust & toothpick making, I decided to do another of my 'Herman - Nutcracker series projects. So far there's a Toy Maker, Bird House Maker and a Model A Mechanic. My youngest is now working with the local Cardiology Group in York so it was time for a "Dr. Herman" character. Except for turning the main 2 sections of the body/head on my 1947 Sears wood lathe from scrap 4x4's,the detailed cart, blood draw tubes and holder, base, shoes, ears and giant hypo needle are scroll saw work. That applied to all the little detail stuff on the other characters too (i.e. vise, tools, bird houses, work benches, spare Model A parts, etc.). Just checked and see I still have all 9 fingers... LOL
    Last edited by Pop; 01-08-2019, 02:38 PM.
    Pop
    Delta 16" 40-530
    Ryobi 16" VS

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember it was amateurs that built the ARK but Professionals that built the Titanic!"

Wow Pop. Those are way cute.
    Denny
    ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Welcome back. Those are just adorable. Do you have "patterns" that you use for the characters - or just come up with them on your own? Thanks for showing.
      Melanie from East TN

Comment

That’s really neat. Would like to see pics of the rest.
        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

It is really cute. Doing the clothes yourself?
          I too would like to see some of the others.
          Thanks for sharing.

"Time to give back."
          "Time to Give Back"

Comment

Good to see you back. I am absolutely blown away by your work. You must have a mile wide grin on your face as your characters progress.
            Like the others, I would love to see more of them.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

So far there's only been the 4 in the pictures. There IS a list of about 6 more ideas though. A Handyman (although it will have to be different from the toy maker and birdhouse maker by quite a bit), a Fisherman (for my oldest since the youngest got the Doc), a Veterinarian, Pilot or aircraft mechanic, Lumber jack, Electrician and Telephone man. I just realized how much I lean toward folks with hands-on jobs. Hmmm I've started turning spares of the head and body since that's what takes the most time (or should I say makes the biggest mess). I'll post as I make more between other stuff on the project list.
              Pop
              Delta 16" 40-530
              Ryobi 16" VS

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember it was amateurs that built the ARK but Professionals that built the Titanic!"

Comment

I look forward to seeing more of your work Pop. There was a lady who used to sell at a craft show in our area the weekend after Thanksgiving. She used to make similar types of "occupational" or "hobby" Snowmen and women from material, filling, and small objects/items related to the occupation, craft or hobby. She also had some that were related to "college fans." I have a couple of of them at my house. So does my sister. Many were bought as gifts for others. They were huge sellers for her and they were not inexpensive as I recall. I haven't gone to that craft show in several years so I am not sure if she is still making and selling them or not. I think people always like to see and give things "related" to someone's life in someway like these.
                Melanie from East TN

Comment

meflick.. I see the Mick as your avatar. Are you a Disney fan? I used to make birdhouse with a Disney 'face' on them as a garden decoration of wall hanging. Haven't made them for a couple years. Another project among the many of a person who always has to be doing something.
                  Pop
                  Pop
                  Delta 16" 40-530
                  Ryobi 16" VS

Comment

Pop, yes, I a, a HUGE Disney fan. Mickey in particular. Lots of Disney memorabilia at my house. Those Disney birdhouses you made are too cute! While I have seen birdhouses with “faces” before, I have never seen ones with Disney characters. Your’s look great. Thanks for showing them to us.
                    Melanie from East TN

Comment

Wonderful work, thanks for sharing

Comment

My favorite Disney character is the sorcerers apprentice.
                        Rolf
                        RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Originally posted by meflick View Post
                          Pop, yes, I a, a HUGE Disney fan. Mickey in particular. Lots of Disney memorabilia at my house. Those Disney birdhouses you made are too cute! While I have seen birdhouses with “faces” before, I have never seen ones with Disney characters. Your’s look great. Thanks for showing them to us.
                          I did the patterns myself because I couldn't find anything like Disney faces for birdhouses anywhere. Can't sell them because of the copy right thingy but gave a bunch away. Plus there's some in Mum's Garden in the warmer months.
                          Pop
                          Delta 16" 40-530
                          Ryobi 16" VS

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                            My favorite Disney character is the sorcerers apprentice.
                            That used to be mine too. Wasn't much for the Fantasia movie itself but did like the Sorceror's Apprentice. Just finished a picture and frame for the lady I know with her own Disney room at her house. She has the birdhouse fronts on one of the walls and when she moved I drew up another favorite Mickey character for her this Christmas. Made the frame custom because of the odd size of the picture after I was done drawing. Bob Cratchet from - Mickey's Christmas Carol - 1983
                            Pop
                            Delta 16" 40-530
                            Ryobi 16" VS

Comment

Pop you have such a wonderful talent. Thanks for sharing.
                              Scott
                              Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X