No announcement yet.

Gear Train Toy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With just the first coat of Tung Oil on the gears, I just had to try setting them up in a gear train. If nothing else, just to test them to be sure it actually works. Blue tape is the size I plan to make the peg board.
    Gear Train Setup 12-14-18 500.JPG

It does, but I see some issues with a couple things. One, the pegs I made for attaching the gear bases to the peg board may be too short and not holding the bases in securely enough. Also, the pegs on the gear bases are hidden and the bases rotate freely, so it is very difficult to locate the bases over the peg board holes and get the gears lined up to engage properly. And the gear base pegs are lined up on the diagonal of the peg board holes, not the horizontal or vertical 1" spacing of the peg holes, so, positioning the gear bases is not at all intuitive. All of these will be unnecessary challenges for a 5-yr old. I can fix the peg lengths easily. The latter two issues will be much more difficult.

Here are a couple videos of the gear train in motion. Initially, just putting the gears up on the board and seeing how well they engage and rotate. They do, but there is some tightness and hanging up at times. Makes me wonder if the teeth didn't need to be sanded down further. I sanded nearly all of the lines away, maybe they needed to be sanded completely away. Maybe if I remake all the gears from plywood.
    https://vimeo.com/306520517

And here, I actually tried sequencing the gears to get some reduction. It worked, resulting final reduction is 26:1. It needs more of the largest gears and could used some spacer so small gears don't have to be used.
    https://vimeo.com/306520540

Rick
    Last edited by Rick Kr; 12-15-2018, 02:08 AM.
    "If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes a bit cheaper."

Comment

This is one really cool project I would love to play with it myself.

One of my many hats while I was still working was managing an experimental machine shop. My favorite machine was a new Hardinge lathe that I purchased when I took over the shop. We already had a couple of the Monarch lathes old but still incredibly precise. We retrofit all of the machines with DRO. I have a very small OLD Logan in my basement. I may add Wixey DRO to at least the cross feed. I inherited it from my Dad. He was a old world German tool maker.

For non machinists DRO is digital read out.
      Last edited by Rolf; 12-15-2018, 09:41 AM.
      Rolf
      RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I agree the Hardinge lathe was one that I lke also.

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
          This is one really cool project I would love to play with it myself.

One of my many hats while I was still working was managing an experimental machine shop. My favorite machine was a new Hardinge lathe that I purchased when I took over the shop. We already had a couple of the Monarch lathes old but still incredibly precise. We retrofit all of the machines with DRO. I have a very small OLD Logan in my basement. I may add Wixey DRO to at least the cross feed. I inherited it from my Dad. He was a old world German tool maker.

For non machinists DRO is digital read out.
          Thanks, Rolf. You were a lucky fellow with that job. I have never operated a Hardinge. They are a suburb machine. Lore among machinists I know have the Hardinge and the Monarch 10EE as the two ultimate home shop machinist lathes. I feel exceedingly lucky and happy to have the Monarch. As pictured, it as DRO on two axes, crossfeed and carriage feed. I've had a DRO on my mills for over 15 years, but this is the first lathe with one, had it for about two years. Love it. I have not looked a the dials on the mill since and am now not looking at the dials on the lathe either, except what thread cutting and using the top slide.

The gear toy is turning out to be much more challenging that I anticipated. Mostly due to the difficulty of finding peg hole placements to get the gears to mesh. Quite an unnecessary difficulty, but I've not come up with a better alternative yet. I'm wondering if something there the center hole is used for locating and a second peg for locking. Something like that would require redesigning that feels beyond me at this point.

Rick
          "If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes a bit cheaper."

Comment

The machine shop was my secondary responsibility my main job was running and maintaining a semiconductor processing lab. We designed and processed special silicon detectors for High energy physics and photon science research. I got to play with CAD and all sorts of neat equipment, like wire bonders that put down wire that is 25 um in dia. or .001 inch. I did the original design and prototype fabrication of this device. others in our group developed the readout electronics etc.
            https://www.bnl.gov/newsroom/news.php?a=212196 I spent many hours at a microscope.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
              The machine shop was my secondary responsibility my main job was running and maintaining a semiconductor processing lab. We designed and processed special silicon detectors for High energy physics and photon science research. I got to play with CAD and all sorts of neat equipment, like wire bonders that put down wire that is 25 um in dia. or .001 inch. I did the original design and prototype fabrication of this device. others in our group developed the readout electronics etc.
              https://www.bnl.gov/newsroom/news.php?a=212196 I spent many hours at a microscope.
              Very cool, Rolf. That seems like a bit of a high powered job. I use CAD as a design tool/step on nearly all of my "making" projects, both in wood and metal. Love using it and there is a whole creative design aspect to it, that, to me, is vital to successful projects. I have not heard of Brookhaven NL before. I now understand why your machine shop had such high end machines. I worked for Argonne Nat'l Lab in near Chicago (where the atomic bomb was partially developed in the '40s) in the mid-80s, but my job location was actually Portland, OR, as we were doing Environmental Impact Statements for cumulative impact assessments of multiple small-hydro projects in the Pacific Northwest.

As shown in the photos and videos above, my gears are already made, but they are not meshing properly, too tight. I have been using CAD to redesign them and supporting pieces but time is running out and I don't know if I'll get to re-making the gears before Christmas. If I do, I'll make them from Baltic birch plywood this time. I've taken on another project, that of making a "twined rag rug" loom for my daughter. That is a lot to do in just a week remaining.

For the redesign of the gears, I'm using a gear generator program from WoodGears (http://woodgears.ca/). I've purchased a number of their wood gear projects as well as their gear generator program. Just hope I make the time to make some of them, as I think they could be more fun for my granddaughter that the Gear Train Toy.

Rick

Comment

The saga continues. I was diverted from working on this for quite a while by an urgent family matter and a request from my daughter to make her a "twined rag rug" weaving loom" for her birthday, one week ahead of said birthday, which was yesterday. The loom was completed enough to assemble it with partial hardware.
                Rag Rug Loom 12-21-18 640.JPG

There is a lot of finishing work yet to be done. I used my new planer extensively in preparing the wood, which delighted me. I'd never really used a planer much before. Also, because I planed the wood, all the corners were very square and sharp and need rounding. I also want to radius the edges of the board for the gear toy, but did not have a decent router or router table. I solved that, with a Bosch router and table, which arrived yesterday and I assembled and started using last night. I don't have a table saw and do not have room for the one I want, so I have to use other methods for certain types of cutting, etc.

As of last night, I am back on the gear train toy for my granddaughter's Christmas present, with only three days to go. For the gear train toy peg board, I am building a torsion box backing so it will be rigid, using 3/4" square molding for the internal members and 1/4" Baltic birch plywood backing. I will use the new router/table extensively for trimming the torsion box assembly and radiusing the corners. I tested using it in jointer mode last night and then used it today to size the Baltic birch plywood backing, The router/table will be used with ball bearing guided router bids for trimming the sides of the sandwiched torsion box and for the radiusing.

I used some of the axle pegs I turned for aligning the internal members so they did not overlap any of the peg board holes. 1/4" dowel would have worked, but the axle peg "hubs" are larger than 1/4" and did a better job of centering the ribs.
                Aligning Members 12-22-18 640.jpg

Completed peg board front with torsion box members. I used small wire brads to nail the members to the peg board as well as glue.
                Completed Torsion Box Members 12-22-18 640.JPG

I wanted to mount the backing without using nails, just with glue, and wanted to add considerable weight during gluing so I "set" the backing position using some of the wire brads, driven into the internal members at the corners to keep the backing from shifting once glued and the weight added.
                Positioning Nails 12-22-18 640.JPG

Then 3/4" plywood to distribute the weight.
                Three Quarters Plywood 12-22-18 640.JPG

And finally the "weights", four 50lb. bags of chicken feed (my daughter has a lot of chickens).
                Two 100 LBS Chicken Feed 12-22-18 640.JPG

I am anxious to see how it all turns out, but have to wait until tomorrow morning to ensure the glue sets up well.

Rick
                Last edited by Rick Kr; 12-23-2018, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• KarlB
                  Reply to First event of the season for me.
                  by KarlB
                  Rolf,

How many times do you do one-offs? That is deciding a project takes too long to make too many of them on the off chance they don't sell.

Karl
                  Today, 09:19 PM
                • Daddy's scroller
                  Reply to Oranment exchange
                  by Daddy's scroller
                  Scott I also received my package from you. Thank you so much. I like also like to see what Santa brought me. My tree has nothing on it but all the homemade ornaments I have received over the years....
                  Today, 07:17 PM
                • Daddy's scroller
                  by Daddy's scroller
                  Thank you Jim I got my package from you today. That was a great idea. It's already on my tree
                  Today, 07:14 PM
                • Jim Finn
                  Reply to Train set
                  by Jim Finn
                  Today, we made our December delivery of toys to our local children's hospital, Ronald McDonald House, and The Salvation Army of 1,912 toys. Including 27 of these trains.That makes a total of 4,112 for 2019. About a thousand less than our best years but not too shabby. (Two of our main club contributors...
                  Today, 06:06 PM
                • Jim McDonald
                  by Jim McDonald
                  Scott, thanks a bunch for a great surprise.
                  Today, 05:46 PM
                Working...
                X