The walls come tumbling down

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The walls come tumbling down

well, the cabinets first. I emptied two yesterday and this is what I came home to after the farmers market today. Plus molding was taken down. Emptying lowers Sunday, taking down rest of uppers and by Wednesday will be ready to take out lowers, walls and floor. Need to be done that by Sat for the electricity and sheetrock. Yes, it is REAL. Finally. I am an official construction zone. At least I didn’t come home to a hole in the floor like the bathroom when he did that.
    Attached Files
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Day 2 of demo. All I wanted to do was clean out the cabinets. We did that and the uppers are sitting in the back yard as well as one side of lowers. Can’t do anything tomorrow as we have Sweetness for 2 days, but watch out Wednesday. Who runs an electrical cable up through the floor into the wall? That’s Brian’s job to figure out. The old gray tiles are original to the house and I’m sure they are asbestos. House was built in 60s. I think that little patch is all we have. We shall see.
    Attached Files
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

The asbestos tiles are not an issue as the fibers are encapsulated. Only if you cut or sand them.
      But I would seriously consider wearing a mask during any demolition. At least the wire is BX. The things I have found during demolition never ceases to amaze me. That the house never burned down is a wonder. The worst was a cable that was too short so they ran it between the roof joists and the roof sheathing. All it needed was to get hit with a roofing nail. Or running out of insulation halfway up the outside wall.
      Have fun!
      Rolf
      RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Fun isn’t a word I would use to describe this. Bruce only let me take down one cabinet. It took me too long. We have masks for the walls. At least we don’t have to take the ceiling down.
        Betty

Comment

What a mess!! Took out rest of cabinets and started on one wall. Bruce had to take out the half wall for the new cabinets. On the dining room side there was 2 layers of wallboard. Found an old newspaper dated 9/13/71 stuck in the wall. Also found a board with our name and part of a date 7,1977. And Rolf, there were so many screws I lost count at 40 on the small section. Two inside walls tomorrow than outside wall Friday. I don’t think I will ever find all the stuff I put all over the house.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by will8989; 06-27-2018, 11:26 PM.
          Betty

Comment

Originally posted by will8989 View Post
            . I don’t think I will ever find all the stuff I put all over the house.
            Sure you will--

Right after you buy a replacement!

Jim
            When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
            Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

So true Jim. Kitchen totally gutted. Brother in law and son coming over to help on the week-end. Found some interesting electricity behind the walls. I have muscles hurt that I forgot I had.
              Betty

Comment

Doing office work today. Staying out of the way.
                Attached Files
                Betty

Comment

Advice to anyone planning a home reno project. Double the time you allow. Life happens and so does this awful hot weather. I have been down for 5 days with a bacterial infection and was put on cipro. Which is one awful medicine. Good thing Brian and Kevin were here to help. Bruce just finished up the insulation in the kitchen. We may or may not put up 2 walls of sheet rock today. On the up side, I have 4 "homeruns" in my kitchen. The microwave, fridge, dishwasher and outlet for coffee maker and toaster are all on their separate 20amp breakers. The wires behind those walls was scary..STAY COOL!!
                  Betty

Comment

Today was interesting. We have the 10 ft. Long Sheetrock in the tent. Bruce cuts the cut outs and I help bring it In. Quite the job, I might add. Today was the shortest piece, he had to cut off 3 feet for the door and some cut outs. He lays it on the floor and he scored the cut outs opposite it was supposed to be. Now, I have heard just about all the “words” but never used the way he did this morning. After a minute or so, I told him to slap some mud on the scores, put tape on top of it. Problem solved. After all it was going to be behind the backsplash and cabinets, no one would see it. Just an interesting morning.
                    Betty

Comment

I hope you are feeling better!. My first project on our house taught me that it is never as easy as you think it will be. There are lots of surprises.
                      The good thing is that each piece that goes up brings you closer to the finish.

June and I put up the 4 x 12 1/2 inch sheet rock in our living room, that was my last dry wall job. I now pay someone to do the drywall and spackling, I just don't want to do it an more.
                      Last edited by Rolf; 07-06-2018, 08:10 AM.
                      Rolf

Comment

I know one thing, this is the LAST major project we are doing. We are taking the floor into the dining room, which means more materials and another 3 days of work. Which means I need to get the painting of the dr/lr done before floors. Yesterday electricity was finished and up to code. This surprise was behind a wall we took out. Budget? It will be close.
                        Attached Files
                        Betty

Comment

Was that buried in the wall? It looks like what we have found in our house. That is why I completely gutted each room as we have done the renovations. It amazes me that people don't have more electrical fires.
                          Rolf

Comment

It sure was. It wasn’t even attached to anything just hanging around. Over the years it’s all been redone the kitchen was the last. Each bedroom is on its own circuit and a few of the ceiling lights are on one circuit. Brisn replaced all the wires in the kitchen with yellow wire that goes to 20 amp circuits. I have five separate circuits in the kitchen one for each appliance Plus a spare for the coffee maker and whatever small appliance I may plug into there. Plus GFS breakers.I also have a USB outlet because when I do shows I charge my square and telephone on the counter and grab them as I go out the door. Major renovations is not a job for the weak.
                            Betty

Comment

Down a man. We dry fit the cabinets in the one corner and outside wall to see where he needed to extend wall.. Perfect fit. All total aout 300 lbs. moved. Bruce was supposed to only take up a small section of the kitchen floor to build the wall. Well, that turned into the whole floor. Of course he could barely move when he got done. So "this girl" had to carry all the torn up floor out into the back of the truck. Probably another 200 lbs with tile, underlayment, nails. This is after I have been scraping the boarder off the walls in the dr/lr for about 3 hours. Called chiropractor and got him in today. He is there now. Hopefully he can walk and sit better than he could when he left. Called in reinforcement for Saturday, my son. May have to call in a nephew or two. And "this girl" is getting her arm muscles back. So glad when this project is OVER!!
                              Betty

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• strohman
                                Reply to Which end is up?
                                strohman
                                I did indeed have the blade in upside down. I was using some Bosch blades that I picked up from Lowes.
                                On Friday I got some Olsen blades in the mail. I hadn't ever seen any blades this thin. It was a bit of a struggle seeing the teeth, but I was able to feel the top and bottom of the blade...
                                Today, 09:49 PM
                              • Trackman
                                Reply to Fall Issue #72
                                Trackman
                                I too wish the best for Mindy!
                                Today, 07:11 PM
                              • Kiwi
                                Reply to Jaguar
                                Kiwi
                                It is a pattern from Neal Moore's book "Wildlife Portraits in Wood." He has some other interesting designs in that book and gives full instructions on how best to make each project.

Each of the pattern parts are cut from a piece of 12mm plywood. Then they are stained their respective...
                                Today, 05:32 PM
                              • leehljp
                                Reply to Fall Issue #72
                                leehljp
                                I received mine yesterday but didn't get to look through until this (Sunday) afternoon. Carole had another great article in it. This one was on a Dice Tower.

When looking at the dice tower, I didn't notice the author until I was the next page and I looked back. It was Carole!
                                Today, 03:45 PM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                Reply to Jaguar
                                Sandy Oaks
                                Very well done. Can you show a side view to get a feel for the depth?
                                Today, 12:16 PM
                              Working...
                              X