Angel with maple burl wings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angel with maple burl wings

I posted photos the other day of some maple burl. I just finished cutting all the pieces for this angel. I found a stained glass pattern that I liked but could not locate where to purchase the pattern. By joining a stained glass Facebook group, I tracked down the designer, Anna Danowska, (in Poland!), who gave me permission to use the pattern. Tomorrow I begin shaping - always my favorite part!
    Jo Labre - in beautiful Racine, Wisconsin

Mostly, I don't know what I am doing - but I am doing it with GUSTO!

Wow - this has the makings to be a stunningly beautiful piece - what a great job you've already done with the selection and piecing of wood - very much looking forward to seeing it progress.

Jay

Comment

I can see why you were drawn to that pattern--it's unusually graceful and elegant. It's also impressive that you went to the trouble to locate and get permission from the designer to use the pattern.

And I think the burl looks fabulous for the wings--texture without too much distraction. Your use of the grain in the cherry, particularly on the bodice, brings a lot of life to the dress (gown? Just what do angels wear?).

Most people don't realize that the type of work that I do with bowls depends heavily on grain and shaping, so while I don't do intarsia, per se, (and am not at all likely to head in that direction) I can appreciate those elements when I see them in a piece such as this one.

Looking forward to seeing it come to life. Shaping is such an exciting process!
      Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Carole - thank you for a video you posted about using tape to flatten warped boards in the Supermax. The maple burl I bought years ago and it was sliced into slabs. Now it had warped and bowed and I didn't know if I would be able to use it. Ta Daaaaa! Using your technique, I was able to get it flat and use it for the wings on my angel.

Thank you also for the nice comments. I am happy with that piece of cherry on the bodice. I print my patterns on clear overhead transparency sheets and use them to place my pattern pieces. Sometimes a piece just works out perfectly.

Comment

This will be another masterpiece! The wood selection is amazing. Like Carole I also am impressed that you tracked down the designer. Your piece will most certainly make her proud of her design.
          Rolf
          RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

That will sure be a masterpiece.
            Denny
            ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

They are correct, a masterpiece in the making, by a Master of intarsia.
              AKA Paul from Washington State

Comment

Exquisite choice of woods and design!
                Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

That is going to be absolutely exquisite, Jo. Your choices for wood grains is awesome. Aside from the burl in the wings, the grain patterns in the gown is going to really make that piece stand out.

You're outdoing yourself again.
                  Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

I saw your posting on FB and admired it there. Great selection of wood and I bet the finished angel will be awesome. Can't wait to see it!!! Also great job on tracking down the original designer and given her credit for the great design. I always admired stain glass and wanted to take some classes. Maybe I will have to look up the some stain glass groups on FB.
                    Donna
                    www.wix.com/tangowooddesign/home-page

Comment

I think I am done shaping my angel. Tonight I will put the first coat of finish on the pieces. It is always so exciting to see the colors pop with the finish!

Comment

This is beautiful - can;t get over what that cherry grain does for the dress - betting that Anna Danowska will be as proud of your work as she would have been of the original stained glass piece. Looking forward to seeing it finished..

Jay

Comment

Simply beautiful. Wood grain can make a pattern go from to just ok to amazing. Yours is amazing.
                          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• leehljp
                            Ladder Legs
                            leehljp
                            I subscribe to a daily email from "homemade tools" and a few are hilarious, and some are ingenious. Here is an amusing one:
                            http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/l...-18#post115897

Enjoy.
                            Today, 07:06 PM
                          • Scrappile
                            Reply to Elk Meadow
                            Scrappile
                            Well done. Elk, are one of the most beautiful animals in North America as far as I am concerned.
                            Today, 01:04 PM
                          • Sandy Oaks
                            Reply to Pricing
                            Sandy Oaks
                            Lee, we have a pen turner displayed at ArtCrafters. Many of the pens are $25 and we sell maybe 4 - 5 each month. I am sure at a place like Knoxville he could more than double the price....
                            Today, 09:34 AM
                          • Rolf
                            Reply to 1st cabinet UP!!!!
                            Rolf
                            We could not do that in our kitchen the ceiling and walls are way too crooked. So to fool the eye some of our cabinets go all of the way up with trim molding the others are lower also with crown molding. There is no continuous line to catch the eye.
                            Today, 08:34 AM
                          • will8989
                            Reply to 1st cabinet UP!!!!
                            will8989
                            WHAT? We’re taking them down? Bruce decided he should have put them flush with the ceiling so we’re taking them down and raising them 1/2”!!! Do you know how heavy these are? He decided he wanted as narrow as possible, or no, molding at the top at all. And yes, Scott they have stuff in them.😲😲...
                            Today, 08:26 AM
                          Working...
                          X