Lighthouse in work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lighthouse in work

This is the second time I made this pattern... and my wife wanted four more for various friends and neighbors. I have them all cut, but just started the finishing process on this one. I was going for a cloudy Oregon day. I will do at least one more this way and then I may switch to a lighter color for the sky... not sure yet.

Woods used were Red Gum (sky), Wenge, Makore, Padauk, Birch, African Ebony, Blue Pine and I can't remember for the part around the windows at the top.
    Last edited by bstark; 08-06-2017, 10:50 PM.

I like your wood selections and the grey sky, but why the dark windows? Wouldn't the light be on if it is grey outside.
    Who's design is this?
    Rolf
    RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Beautiful work! I so need to go to the Oregon Coast..

Rolf, it is not foggy. The light is only on when foggy or dark........
      AKA Paul from Washington State
      Hegner Multimax 22-V and Seyco ST-21

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
        I like your wood selections and the grey sky, but why the dark windows? Wouldn't the light be on if it is grey outside.
        Who's design is this?
        The pattern is in Intarsia Woodworking for Beginners by Kathy Wise. I wondered myself about the dark windows, and the grey sky =) I it isn't supposed to be night, just daytime with clouds, but I did ponder for a moment whether I should make the lights yellow. There is still time to change them. I think I will cut some yellow heart and see if I like that better. The pattern called for black, but the sky was very light and wouldn't be confused with night time. I will be interesting to compare the first version of the pattern I did about 5 years ago with the finished new one side by side.

Comment

The most important thing is that it looks right to you. I really like light houses and have not seen a pattern yet where I like the light part. Some look like they have a big yellow bulb in them.
          Rolf

Comment

Great Job on the Lighthouse.

I do like the dark wood for the windows & door on the base of the tower (red & white section). For the top of the light, what about trying to use the same wood as the sky in those windows? That way it would look like you are looking through the top of the lighthouse on a stormy day.
            www.wix.com/tangowooddesign/home-page

Comment

Originally posted by Tango View Post
              Great Job on the Lighthouse.

I do like the dark wood for the windows & door on the base of the tower (red & white section). For the top of the light, what about trying to use the same wood as the sky in those windows? That way it would look like you are looking through the top of the lighthouse on a stormy day.
              Good idea... I will give that a shot too. Thanks!

Comment

Tango, I agree.
                Rolf

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse