Bowl project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowl project

Recently I became tired of making round bowls and decided to make them square. Here is one of the first ones. If anyone else out there also makes square bowls do you have any effective way of sanding the interior corners of the bowl?

Opinions welcome.

I did a square bowl, but the corners were more rounded than your bowl. I used the smallest spindle sander.

Denny
    Denny
    ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

No problem. It looks like your bowl is straight sided--cut at a constant angle, which means there are no curves to contend with. I use my B&D mouse sander for situations like this, which also occur when sanding the interior of square or rectangular scrolled boxes. Just sand each side right up to the corner, as though it were a box, then move to the next side. If you can't reach the corners easily, use a sanding block to make nice sharp corners.

It would have been easier if you had sanded the inside before you added the base, which is always a good idea with bowls of any shape, since you can't correct the contour of the lower edge once the base is attached, but you should still be able to sand all the way down to the bottom if you're careful.

Nice looking bowl! Now you can move on to hexagons and octagons! 🙂
      Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Handibunny I did just as you suggested this bowl is finished and I sanded the interior prior to adding the base. I have such thin walls ( 1/4") that when I sand it as you suggest trying to make it a sharp interior corner (on an earlier one) I ended up sanding a hole into the corner. Unlike a box it is a compound 45 degree angle and I was a bit aggressive. Guess I'll just have to back off a bit,,, Lol

Comment

Thank you. Sandy oaks I don't have one smaller than1/2" dia. do they make a smaller

Comment

I took a closer look at your bowl, and saw that your corners do have a slight curve, which I think is a good idea. There are 1/4" drums for the Jet spindle sander, and they are 6" long, but it would be tricky to get the angle right for sanding. Your best bet would probably be to use the KIng Arthur Tools small round inflatable to neaten up the corners, then use a small sander like the mouse for the sides. I think it might just fit, and you'd have a lot of control. Sometimes even a dowel wrapped with sandpaper will work for spots like this.

Alternately, you can doctor your future patterns so the corners are slightly rounded to make it easier to sand, and if 1/4" gives you too little wood to work with, try increasing your ring width to 5/16". That's more elegant than 3/8", but a safer width to work with.

if you haven't used Dave's PolyDraw program, that would also help. His Asian bowl section lets you design bowls that are squarish, but rounded enough to make sanding easier. That program will also help you break away from round bowls, but choose exactly the profile you like.

Carole

Comment

Carole, I never heard of a mouse sander. I have several sets of files in all shapes and sizes and one is 3 sided to fit into a corner to sand. I get one set from Harbor Freight, the rest I got at wood shows from the junk guy who has just "stuff" everywhere. I got two sets of micro mini files that fit into the smallest of spaces. This year I picked up 3 all 1/4" in width and diameter. I would be lost without my files. Than my most expensive ones are different size dowels wrapped with self stick sand paper.
              Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Betty, some years ago, B&D started making a detail sander called the "mouse". When I first saw it, I thought it was ridiculous, but I bought it anyway, and am now on my second. You can find it everywhere, and Klingspor has paper that fits. It's small, lightweight, and the pointed tip lets you access tight spaces. When I need closer access, I have a Bosch detail sander, but it's very heavy, and I use it only when I really have to.

So now I use the Festool for flat surfaces, and the mouse for smaller areas. It's primitive, but great for small hands, and I can even sand curved surfaces with it when I need to even things out a bit.

I have tiny files for really small spaces, and sometimes just use an emery board. Whatever works!

I keep sanding in mind when I design projects. Sometimes just small tweaks make an enormous difference.
                Carole

Comment

That is a very nice looking bowl!
                  I cant get the mouse to sit still while I put the sandpaper on it?
                  Rolf
                  RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                  Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                  Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                  And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

My mice are very obedient. 😉
                    Carole

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                      That is a very nice looking bowl!
                      I cant get the mouse to sit still while I put the sandpaper on it?
                      You have to wrangle them--just like the rodeo. Once you get 'em roped, the rest is easy!
                      Jim
                      When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
                      Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Only a matter of time before the animal protection league shuts me down. 😩
                        Carole

Comment

What woods did you use? I really like the colors together. Nice work!

For sanding interiors, I always make sure I get the sanding completely done on the inside before I put the bottom on, as it is much more difficult at that point. I have a bunch of dowels that I attached sandpaper to. I sometimes just use my fingers holding the paper. The worst thing is to gouge it... as it gets very difficult to every dix it. Been there, done that.
                          Last edited by bstark; 07-24-2017, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Bsterk this one was made from 3/8" birch plywood as I am still learning to make square bowls and didn't want to waste expensive material if I screw up. With 3/8" rings cut at a 45degree angle.

Comment

Handibunny the palm sander (mouse ) is working THANK YOU. It just takes time and me watching the aggressive manner in which I work the corner. The next one should have sharper interior corners.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X