New cars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New cars

As I mentioned in my "Speed Stegosaurus" post, I needed a couple of cars for a three-year old's birthday. Again, simplicity of construction, rounded corners, and ability to take abuse were the prime criteria. These now await paint.

These are supposed to be the two family cars. And they do look like them, sorta. Kinda. Mostly. Without patterns or artistic ability I had to draw my own patterns freehand.

After doing them wrong a couple of times, I find that I can make them fairly quickly - about 30 minutes with sanding. They are about 6 1/4" long, 2" wide, and about 2 1/4" high. A nice size for little girl hands. They were cut with a no. 7 skip tooth. I tried a no. 5 but they kept breaking. A key trick, I find, is to through bore the axle holes off a reference mark (fence), starting from squared blocks. This prevents embarrassing three-wheels-down-one-wheel high situations. Don't ask how I know this. The wheel wells are done with a forstner bit.

I can see now how one becomes interested in embellishments - windows, doors, lights, etc. It is tempting, to be sure. But not for a preschooler.

Sure looks good especially for a 3 year old.
    Denny
    ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

They look great. I like the inset wheel wells. If you have a wood burner you can outline some windows and doors if you want to embellish.
      Rolf
      RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• marshall
        Reply to Another one
        marshall
        Fine job , looks like you have art down !
        Today, 06:46 PM
      • marshall
        Reply to Owl fretwork
        marshall
        Really fine work , a lot of drill holes and time consuming project .
        Today, 06:44 PM
      • marshall
        Reply to Believe Plaques
        marshall
        No it's not my pattern and off hand I forgot who give it too me , would have to pull it back up on the PC to find out who it was that gave it too me . I always tell people that the line on the cross may not be cut perfect , but the man that was crucified on the cross was perfect in every way . Tha...
        Today, 06:41 PM
      • hotshot
        Reply to Something new, that is not a Coin . . . per se
        hotshot
        It is in the garage. Is that enough or do I need to have the door cracked/open? My smell is pretty decent, and there is not much of a smell. I'm running at a very very low amps/volts, so there are no bubbles from the gassing, but I'm a rookie, so I could be killing myself without knowing it. I'm actively...
        Today, 05:23 PM
      • Maisie
        Blade too close to guard - tension problems
        Maisie
        Hi, I've been scroll sawing since 2015, so not really a newbie, but am not sure where to post this - Over the last month I've been having problems with new blades stretching to almost the edge of the guard when I cut, whereas the blade used to always be in the middle of the guard and cut really fast,...
        Today, 04:50 PM
      Working...
      X