New cars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New cars

As I mentioned in my "Speed Stegosaurus" post, I needed a couple of cars for a three-year old's birthday. Again, simplicity of construction, rounded corners, and ability to take abuse were the prime criteria. These now await paint.

These are supposed to be the two family cars. And they do look like them, sorta. Kinda. Mostly. Without patterns or artistic ability I had to draw my own patterns freehand.

After doing them wrong a couple of times, I find that I can make them fairly quickly - about 30 minutes with sanding. They are about 6 1/4" long, 2" wide, and about 2 1/4" high. A nice size for little girl hands. They were cut with a no. 7 skip tooth. I tried a no. 5 but they kept breaking. A key trick, I find, is to through bore the axle holes off a reference mark (fence), starting from squared blocks. This prevents embarrassing three-wheels-down-one-wheel high situations. Don't ask how I know this. The wheel wells are done with a forstner bit.

I can see now how one becomes interested in embellishments - windows, doors, lights, etc. It is tempting, to be sure. But not for a preschooler.

Sure looks good especially for a 3 year old.
    Denny
    ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

www.sandyoaksonline.com

Comment

They look great. I like the inset wheel wells. If you have a wood burner you can outline some windows and doors if you want to embellish.
      Rolf
      RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Dan A
        Reply to compound cutting
        Dan A
        I'm pretty sure the blade was in right. It was an 1 3/4 piece of poplar. Once I was done cutting I couldn't even get the piece to come apart out of the block. Which as I remember it, indicates to much pushing and making the blade bend.

For what it's worth I cut an ornament out of pine and...
        Today, 06:17 AM
      • leehljp
        Reply to Shingles
        leehljp
        My wife got the vaccine shot in 2011 and 4 months later came down with shingles. It wasn't a light case either.

My aunt said she found a cure for shingles: She heard that rubbing Dr. Tichenors antiseptic on it would stop it. She got in the tub and poured some on. As she tells it: "When...
        Yesterday, 10:15 PM
      • vgraf
        Reply to Mass Production
        vgraf
        I also cannot perceive making that many of anything. I just finished about 30 of the mini birdhouses and am ready to start something new.

I also have used the alcohol and shellac method. It really speeds up the finishing process. If the surface is left a little rough, a little touch up...
        Yesterday, 09:29 PM
      • vgraf
        Reply to compound cutting
        vgraf
        I had trouble cutting once with a new blade and then discovered I had it backwards.
        Yesterday, 09:23 PM
      • NC Scroller
        Reply to Fall magazine
        NC Scroller
        Can't wait to get mine.
        Yesterday, 08:51 PM
      Working...
      X