New cars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New cars

As I mentioned in my "Speed Stegosaurus" post, I needed a couple of cars for a three-year old's birthday. Again, simplicity of construction, rounded corners, and ability to take abuse were the prime criteria. These now await paint.

These are supposed to be the two family cars. And they do look like them, sorta. Kinda. Mostly. Without patterns or artistic ability I had to draw my own patterns freehand.

After doing them wrong a couple of times, I find that I can make them fairly quickly - about 30 minutes with sanding. They are about 6 1/4" long, 2" wide, and about 2 1/4" high. A nice size for little girl hands. They were cut with a no. 7 skip tooth. I tried a no. 5 but they kept breaking. A key trick, I find, is to through bore the axle holes off a reference mark (fence), starting from squared blocks. This prevents embarrassing three-wheels-down-one-wheel high situations. Don't ask how I know this. The wheel wells are done with a forstner bit.

I can see now how one becomes interested in embellishments - windows, doors, lights, etc. It is tempting, to be sure. But not for a preschooler.

Sure looks good especially for a 3 year old.
    Denny
    ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

www.sandyoaksonline.com

Comment

They look great. I like the inset wheel wells. If you have a wood burner you can outline some windows and doors if you want to embellish.
      Rolf
      RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
        Kitchen cabinets officially started today!!!
        will8989
        We got maple boards for the faceframes today and he cut them to width and thickness, planed and sanded. Will start on cabinets they go on tomorrow. Wood store holding 1/2", which isn't 1/"2, plywood for door panels. They are ordering in more 3/4" and 1/2" for me to choose from and...
        Today, 12:34 AM
      • will8989
        Reply to Business Cards
        will8989
        ‚Äč When you decide on a business card, make sure it is one you like. I have had the same picture for years. You would be surprised how many have said "It is you I am looking for! I recognize your business card." Make it eye catching and a picture of what you do. I put cards in every purchase,...
        Today, 12:05 AM
      • Ennobee
        Reply to Cars and trailer and... dinosaur?
        Ennobee
        Love the station wagon with the trailer. Although. I would have cut some windows... How is cutting 2 in. thick wood working out? For me it's about the thickest my scrollsaw can handle. It goes death slow and still I manage to break at least onw aawblase every hour.
        Yesterday, 11:07 PM
      • Stoney
        Reply to My 56 Chevy project
        Stoney
        Love your project. I had a 56 belaire 2dr hardtop and loved that car. I wish I still had it. Good luck creating the grille that should be quite tedious. Looking forward to your progress. Thanks for showing us.
        Yesterday, 06:43 PM
      • Birchbark
        Reply to Business Cards
        Birchbark
        Cut your business card out of wood. Very large, then take a picture of it. Shrink it down to the size of your cards and you've got it. Shows what you can do, and tells all the info, plus has a wood grain. The background color can be anything that suits you.

Russell
        Yesterday, 03:41 PM
      Working...
      X