No announcement yet.

Dizzy bowl #2 WIP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tony if we get Carole a lathe she will kick our buts there also.

Bruce that is absolutely stunning. Is it all sanded or did you use a lathe also?
    Rolf
    RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

NO Lathe It is all sanded
      thanks for the kind coment

Comment

Bruce, thanks for posting. I've seen photos of your spectraply bowl, and have admired it.

I do essentially the same thing as you've described in cutting two circles at once. I use two identical1/4" blanks cut into circles, rotate them, glue them together, then cut them as one 1/2" blank. I think your method gives more versatility, since the blanks remain independent. Are the two blanks different or the same as each other, and do you vary the rotation? Any chance of seeing your glue-ups?
        Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Carole, I basicily do my initial glue up the way you do I do my resaw in sections on my table saw. I do not have a band saw (someday)
          When i am designing my bowl i figure what size and height to see how many rings I can get. with these bowls more is better. I make extra center sections for the bottom. by just glueing the four coners I can decide how much to step each layer I do maintain the same step all the way thru. I have found the more pieces in your glue up or initial boards the more dramic the step appears. I will look for my glue up for this bowls and post a picture. I am glad you like my bowl. You were my inspiration.
          Bruce

Comment

Thanks Bruce. I look forward to seeing it, and I'm pleased to have inspired such beautiful work.
            Carole

Comment

Carole,
              Here is a couple of pics of the inital glue up. The extra center section is for the bottom flare.
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, Bruce. I can see why spectraply is so popular, even though it's pricey--it gives a very dramatic effect without the need for gluing in thin strips of veneer.

However, wood is just wood, no matter what sort it is. What gives you bowl its beauty is the design you used for your glue-up. I especially like the gradual widening of the maple strips, and the end splashes of color, not to mention the integrated base.

Bravo!
                Carole

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• tgiro01
                  Reply to Business Cards
                  tgiro01
                  I print mine using folded card stock. I keep around a dozen in each car and set out 40 - 50 at each showing ( and have run out a coupe times). I know they work because people come back - email or call.

Here is the outside and inside of the cards...
                  Today, 08:50 PM
                • Wild Bill
                  Reply to My 56 Chevy project
                  Wild Bill
                  Very nice. I think I know what is giving the bad eye. The front bumper needs to have a small bit shaved off on the right side. It looks as if there is a bump hanging down. I see it in the picture also. I think that it has to do with the lighting. I would take a straight edge and lay it on the...
                  Today, 07:12 PM
                • hotshot
                  Reply to My 56 Chevy project
                  hotshot
                  What is this "fuming" method?
                  Today, 03:51 PM
                • Sandy Oaks
                  Reply to Dream Catcher with Butterfly
                  Sandy Oaks
                  This item was purchased at ArtCrafters today. I may have to make more.
                  Today, 03:21 PM
                • Rolf
                  Reply to vet THANK YOU
                  Rolf
                  i am sure they appreciated them! They look great.
                  Today, 03:17 PM
                Working...
                X