No announcement yet.

Dizzy bowl #2 WIP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tony if we get Carole a lathe she will kick our buts there also.

Bruce that is absolutely stunning. Is it all sanded or did you use a lathe also?
    Rolf
    RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

NO Lathe It is all sanded
      thanks for the kind coment

Comment

Bruce, thanks for posting. I've seen photos of your spectraply bowl, and have admired it.

I do essentially the same thing as you've described in cutting two circles at once. I use two identical1/4" blanks cut into circles, rotate them, glue them together, then cut them as one 1/2" blank. I think your method gives more versatility, since the blanks remain independent. Are the two blanks different or the same as each other, and do you vary the rotation? Any chance of seeing your glue-ups?
        Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Carole, I basicily do my initial glue up the way you do I do my resaw in sections on my table saw. I do not have a band saw (someday)
          When i am designing my bowl i figure what size and height to see how many rings I can get. with these bowls more is better. I make extra center sections for the bottom. by just glueing the four coners I can decide how much to step each layer I do maintain the same step all the way thru. I have found the more pieces in your glue up or initial boards the more dramic the step appears. I will look for my glue up for this bowls and post a picture. I am glad you like my bowl. You were my inspiration.
          Bruce

Comment

Thanks Bruce. I look forward to seeing it, and I'm pleased to have inspired such beautiful work.
            Carole

Comment

Carole,
              Here is a couple of pics of the inital glue up. The extra center section is for the bottom flare.
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, Bruce. I can see why spectraply is so popular, even though it's pricey--it gives a very dramatic effect without the need for gluing in thin strips of veneer.

However, wood is just wood, no matter what sort it is. What gives you bowl its beauty is the design you used for your glue-up. I especially like the gradual widening of the maple strips, and the end splashes of color, not to mention the integrated base.

Bravo!
                Carole

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                  Reply to The hits just keep coming
                  Linda In Phoenix
                  Lotsa prayers, and optimistic good vibes to you all.
                  Today, 12:59 AM
                • Linda In Phoenix
                  Reply to Fair win
                  Linda In Phoenix
                  Wow. Well deserved ribbons for sure. Our fair started doing some new rules about 2 years ago. Entries into "Home Arts" can be just about any design. Entries into "Fine Arts" have to be original designs. I know a couple of scrollers who used to compete in Fine Arts, especially...
                  Today, 12:58 AM
                • Linda In Phoenix
                  Reply to Do you wear eye prodection at the scroll saw?
                  Linda In Phoenix
                  I'm guilty of not wearing eye protection while scrolling---other than the magnifying glass. But, I do wear wrap around safety glasses when I'm sanding, routing, etc. At the recommendation of my eye doc a few years ago, I did add one safety/health step though. He recommended that a couple times...
                  Today, 12:52 AM
                • Linda In Phoenix
                  Reply to Controversial yet fun Xmas Santa
                  Linda In Phoenix
                  It is totally heartwarming to see that there is humor left in this world, and not everything has to fit some politically correct mold that attempts to please the twisted pantie nimrods. Scrollers seem to be some of the most well rounded and easy going group of folks there are. Even when we have...
                  Today, 12:45 AM
                • Scrappile
                  Reply to Do you wear eye prodection at the scroll saw?
                  Scrappile
                  I'd be far more concerned about lung protection, but I like some, use a magnifier lamp and wear glasses (not safety). i have broken many blades never had anything "fly" anywhere, well except my lower blade holder. I have glaucoma and cataracts (although not bad enough for surgery yet). ...
                  Yesterday, 09:30 PM
                Working...
                X