Little Owl Locket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Owl Locket

Here are a few photos of a little locket I made for my wife as part of her Christmas present - he seemed to go down quite well.
    The watch gears and gubbins are simply superglued to a half mm ply pate and then the owl cut out glued onto the plate once all the gears are positioned and varnished. The photo compartment is simply hinged on a fixed wooden pin, but the compartment is held open and closed with little 2mm magnets - it makes a nice snap snap sound when you play with it. :-)
    I think that this is almost as small as I can happily cut - the eyes were a challenge.... He's about 4.5cm tall.
    The last photo shows the inside of the front face hollowed out (Dremel!) ready to be varnished.

Take care all.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by wood-n-things; 12-30-2014, 12:21 PM. Reason: Re-sized photos
    Sometimes, I think that the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that none of it has ever tried to contact us...
    Calvin and Hobbs.

That is cool!
    Susan

"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Very unusual and very cool looking. Thanks for sharing this with us.

DW
      Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
      John Wayne

Comment

Very nice. You did a great job arranging the gears.
        Dan H

I would rather be friendly to a stranger than be a stranger to my friends.

Comment

Very nice work.

Arthur

Comment

Great project. Love the gears....

Here is a tip...How to post a picture to the forum:

Here is the preferred way to post photos. This method will apply a thumbnail so that messages load faster, keeping those who are still on dial up in mind. yes we still have lots of members who are using dial up for an internet connection.

1st open another browser window (or print out these instructions) and open this thread in it so you can read and follow this guideline..

If it is a new thread scroll down below the message box to additional options and look for manage attachments,Click on Manage Attachments, click Browse, find your file name on your computer, click it, then click Upload. It may take a few seconds to load.
            Once you see the file name under current attachments you can close the window.
            If you want you can Preview Post (a wise choice) then if all is well, click on Submit reply.

If you are uploading a picture to an existing thread (conversation)
            Click on the Go Advanced button under the reply box, Click on Manage Attachments, click Browse, find your file name on your computer, click it, then click Upload. It may take a few seconds to load.
            Once you see the file name under current attachments you can close the window.
            If you want you can Preview Post (a wise choice) then if all is well, click on Submit reply.
            Good luck

To re-size your pics if needed there is an awesome freebie out there called irfanview. Easy and free. I've used it for years. irfanview
            Here is there tutorial it really is easy...
            Irfanview Tutorial

I've had several folks tell me they copy and paste this tip into word or notepad so they can print it out and keep it by their computer for later reference.
            "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
            Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

OK...that is waay too cool. I gotta try me that!

Comment

Beautiful locket
                Dewalt 788

Comment

Beautiful work! Thanks for sharing and God Bless! Spirithorse

Comment

This one is so unique, Love what you did!

Comment

Absolutely fantastic!
                      Andy Oxford
                      http://oxfordscrollsawdesigns.tictail.com

Comment

Stunning work! I love the contrast between the owl's grace and the mechanistic gears.

Your locket reminds me of Bubo from Clash of the Titans.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rzKhqt5IRnM

I also love your Bill Watterson quote!
                        Shawn Ferguson

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !

Comment

Wicked Sweeeeet............are you into Horology by any chance?
                          Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

That is a beautiful piece, extremely well executed, and a loving gift.
                            Your skill is only equaled by your creativity!

John
                            I've Got A Lot More To Learn
                            About Leaving Battlegrounds Alone
                            "~~ Molly Venter

Comment

What a challenge and great job doing it. Very unique! Well done.
                              AKA Paul from Washington State

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X