Bird Houses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bird Houses

Really have a good time making these, the hard part is what to use as a finish. Most of them are red oak or poplar. Gonna try some in Cherry and Mahogany, got a couple of little pieces I can use..
    Jack
    Attached Files

You're a brave man cutting those from such hard woods! I usually use woods such as pine, redwood and other softer woods. I did a few from walnut and poplar and they took forever. As far as finish goes, I dunk mine in danish oil then hang to dry. You could probably also use any liquid finish and a small brush.
    Janette
    www.square-designs.com

Comment

WOW Janette,
      I just visited your website. Fantastic work!!!! Someday I want to be able to do an Intarsia of my sisters dog.. But right now I'm just having a good time making "Designer firewood" LOL..There's a gal on here that has helped me immensely, her name is Jan and she does Instarsia as well. Her stuff is just fantastic and I can't thank her enough for all the help she has been to me. I've only been scrolling for a few weeks, and I'm really hooked. One day I hope to be good enough to do some really good stuff but until then I'm happy just cuttin up wood and spending time in my shop...
      All the best,
      John

Comment

I also cut those little birdhouse from hardwood. I have been using a Gel Topcoat (wipe on Urethane). I tried a normal varnish and it kept soaking in and I had to apply 3+ coats. This Gel Topcoat wipes on and usually finishes in one coat. I know that it was a little expensive ($8 for 1/2 pint), but it saves time and one can is going a long way.
        Your birdhouses our turning out Great - Good job
        www.wix.com/tangowooddesign/home-page

Comment

Tango,
          Thanks for the complements, i have to try out that "gel topcoat", never heard of it before coming to this website. So I'll do a search on it and give it a try.. Thanks again..
          Jack

Comment

They turned out great,fine cutting.
            Tony

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
              Reply to Shrink wrap systems
              by Linda In Phoenix
              What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
              The bags seem easier on the surface.
              But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
              Today, 03:24 PM
            • will8989
              Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
              by will8989
              Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
              Today, 10:32 AM
            • Sandy Oaks
              by Sandy Oaks
              As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
              Today, 09:46 AM
            • NC Scroller
              Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
              by NC Scroller
              I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
              Today, 07:42 AM
            • NC Scroller
              by NC Scroller
              I shrink wrap all my puzzles. It is the best method I have found. I do not use a cardboard backer as some do. I use shrink wrap bags that I get from Amazon or Ebay. 8" x 12" will fit 95% of the puzzles I make.

To use the bags you will need a sealer. I have one very similar...
              Today, 07:39 AM
            Working...
            X