Bird Houses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bird Houses

Really have a good time making these, the hard part is what to use as a finish. Most of them are red oak or poplar. Gonna try some in Cherry and Mahogany, got a couple of little pieces I can use..
    Jack
    Attached Files

You're a brave man cutting those from such hard woods! I usually use woods such as pine, redwood and other softer woods. I did a few from walnut and poplar and they took forever. As far as finish goes, I dunk mine in danish oil then hang to dry. You could probably also use any liquid finish and a small brush.
    Janette
    www.square-designs.com

Comment

WOW Janette,
      I just visited your website. Fantastic work!!!! Someday I want to be able to do an Intarsia of my sisters dog.. But right now I'm just having a good time making "Designer firewood" LOL..There's a gal on here that has helped me immensely, her name is Jan and she does Instarsia as well. Her stuff is just fantastic and I can't thank her enough for all the help she has been to me. I've only been scrolling for a few weeks, and I'm really hooked. One day I hope to be good enough to do some really good stuff but until then I'm happy just cuttin up wood and spending time in my shop...
      All the best,
      John

Comment

I also cut those little birdhouse from hardwood. I have been using a Gel Topcoat (wipe on Urethane). I tried a normal varnish and it kept soaking in and I had to apply 3+ coats. This Gel Topcoat wipes on and usually finishes in one coat. I know that it was a little expensive ($8 for 1/2 pint), but it saves time and one can is going a long way.
        Your birdhouses our turning out Great - Good job
        www.wix.com/tangowooddesign/home-page

Comment

Tango,
          Thanks for the complements, i have to try out that "gel topcoat", never heard of it before coming to this website. So I'll do a search on it and give it a try.. Thanks again..
          Jack

Comment

They turned out great,fine cutting.
            Tony

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
              Reply to My computer issues.
              by Linda In Phoenix
              I upgraded back in early winter. I got one with both a solid state as well as hard drive. I couldn't move over my Office 2010 because I'd bought it as a download (which was still functioning just fine for what I used it for) and I never switched it to subscription because of the cost. The old download...
              Today, 12:39 PM
            • Rolf
              New turning tools
              by Rolf
              I just picked up a couple of new heavy handled bowl gauges. 1/2 inch and 3/8 inch from two friends that have tool supply businesses.
              Our next Scroll saw club challenge will be segmented scroll saw bowls. I don't sand my bowls, too time consuming, so I will be turning them after glue up.
              Today, 08:04 AM
            • Rolf
              by Rolf
              One problem with upgrading was that many of the programs I use are now subscription based. That really frosts my butt I finally accepted the fact that I normally renew my software frequently anyway the cost difference is negligible.

I did not go with a solid state drive, probably...
              Today, 07:58 AM
            • will8989
              by will8989
              Actually, I think mine is more than 10 years old. And what brand would that be? Remember who you’re talking to here about computers.
              Today, 07:49 AM
            • NC Scroller
              by NC Scroller
              If you buy a new computer you want to get a solid state hard drive. No moving parts to break or wear out....
              Today, 07:43 AM
            Working...
            X