TT3 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TT3 project

Trout Tracker 3 is the name of our boat..
    I'm making a 1/12th scale wooden replica of her.
    I've thought about doing this project for a long time and I'm finally going to attempt it...

TT3.jpg

this is the front bow, I started there to give me some kind of idea on which way to go with the hull...
    this was an all day project, I don't know how many times I ran out to get measurements, then convert them to 1/12th scale and then make a some what pattern of it....

DSC_0007[2]2.jpg

I got a feeling that this project might take awhile...
    I would also like to keep this thread clean so I can update it with the progress of this project..

wish me luck....
    Trout

to be continuted....
    Hawk G-4 Jetcraft
    Fish are food, not friends!

Well this looks exciting.
    I'll try to remain quiet unless something goes over the line, (I get the feeling it might)
    Looks like fun...
    Ok,
    Shhh...Trouts thread...
    Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
    No task is too tedious for Art.
    Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
    Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

your too funny Jim....
      I had to go make something just so I could reply to your reply...

seat1.jpg

here's one of the bench seats...
      as you can see the upholstery and the color of the inside of the boat are really close in color....

seat3.jpg

the base for the seat is cherry, I went with oak and maple for the seats.
      I'm hoping that the oak will offset the cherry in color??

seat2.jpg

it even has storage....

Trout
      to be continued
      Hawk G-4 Jetcraft

Comment

That is really nice.
        jellis

Comment

thanks Jellis, I hoping to pull this one off....

this is for Jim...
          I trying to do an inlay of the strips that go down the side of the boat..
          I spent most of Saturday morning taking measurements but then finally got smart and took a picture and reduced it to a size that I wanted.

strips1.jpg

even thou our boat is Burgundy, everyone says it looks brown on the water so I thought I would go with mahogany for the hull..

strips2.jpg

this is my Practice piece and I'm not sure about the cherry for the strips?
          maybe maple for the lighter 2 strips? that would definitely help the cherry stick out more? maple strips?

or should I go with Padauk with cherry strips...
          cherry is my ascent wood for most of the boat...

Trout
          Last edited by Trout; 07-10-2012, 07:39 AM.
          Hawk G-4 Jetcraft

Comment

Trout

I think I would go for maple on the yellow/gold color stripes and then aspen or holly for the white color.
            Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

Trout - Great job so far!!!!
              I like the mahogany for the boats exterior. I think that it would look good with the cherry interior. I agree with you that the strips would stick out more with a lighter wood such as white maple or basswood.
              By the way, I showed my hubby the pictures of your boat. He restores antique wood boats in his spare time. He asked if I was going to make him a model of his boat for his b-day. My comment was - Ya right. In other words - dream on
              www.wix.com/tangowooddesign/home-page

Comment

I would go with basswood and aspen. Basswood finishes tan, and aspen stays pretty white. But definitely do not go with cherry. It will darken with exposure to light.
                I learned this a long time ago. I have pieces that I made long ago with cherry, mahogany, and walnut. They looked great at first. Now they're mostly just silhouettes with great detail unseen...
                Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
                No task is too tedious for Art.
                Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
                Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

I did the inlay on the sides last week and then spent a good 18 hours this weekend putting it together and sanding down the bow...
                  it looks like the hull of our boat....

hull2.jpg

unfortunately it isn't right....

hull1.jpg

now that I think I have an idea on how to do it, I need to cut off the bow and sand down the bottom without doing damage to the sides and start over..

I sure wish I had a set of plans to follow....

Trout
                  Hawk G-4 Jetcraft

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jim Finn
                    Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                    by Jim Finn
                    The fees here in Lubbock Texas are $45 per year plus $15 per 10' x 10' space each Saturday that I show up. . Crafters are limited to number and type (to avoid duplication, competition) Any kind of set up allowed, meaning, tent or truck or trailer. No insurance requirements, just a sellers permit from...
                    Today, 04:48 PM
                  • MidMich324
                    Reply to Plastic puzzle
                    by MidMich324
                    Using Corel Draw a 10 inch round acrylic jigsaw puzzle was created. It was the cut on an Epilog Laser. Two passes were used to cut thru 1/4 acrylic so as not to melt the plastic. Only one person has put it together so far. It is about 475 pieces. But would really like to try and cut one by...
                    Today, 03:57 PM
                  • RJweb
                    Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                    by RJweb
                    As far as the Incra miter gauge, if you keep it 1/4 inch away you will be fine, but you will have to adjust it when doing angle cuts, it’s a great miter gauge, RJ...
                    Today, 03:42 PM
                  • Linda In Phoenix
                    Farmers market "survey"
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
                    I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
                    For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
                    Today, 11:14 AM
                  • Linda In Phoenix
                    Reply to Farmers market
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
                    Today, 11:00 AM
                  Working...
                  X