Just Finished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Finished

I know this isn't scroll saw work - but I just finished this frame and had to post. This photo was entered in a Fur Rondy contest this year and was placed just outside the Co-Op I belong to and I had to look at it for 2 weeks, and the more I looked at it the more I fell in love with the photo. I was fortunate enough to contact the photographer and for a small donation to a waterfowl conservation group I was able to obtain the picture. The picture is of a red necked grebe and was taken at Potters Marsh which is just south of Anchorage. The picture was actually a mistake - the gal that took it had some settings on her camera out of whack or out of adjustment, anyway she messed around with the photo and this is what it wound up to be. I had the matting done at Micheal's and did the frame myself. Started with 1 inch oak, planed it down to 3/4, cut the cove on my table saw, and added the 1 inch trim on the outside as well. I put 2 coats of natural wood stain and 3 coats of semi-gloss lacquer on it.
    Attached Files
    Douglas Fraser
    Eagle River, Alaska

My Gallery - Aurora Wood Crafts

Beautiful frame, and yes the photo is a great one.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Douglas that looks like a water color painting. Very nice picture and I really like the frame you made.
      Hawaiilad
      Larry

Comment

Thanks Larry and Rolf - the picture is really cool. I learned some very important lessons on this frame - I know why it is so expensive for a "real" frame. The frame is quite simple when you get down to the basics but its still very time consuming. Another lesson is - don't leave yourself an extra 2 inches of material when you need 4! Finally - if your trying to remember the dimensions it means you should get your tape measure out and use it, that's how you wind up needing 4 extra inches instead of 2 inches.
        Douglas Fraser
        Eagle River, Alaska

My Gallery - Aurora Wood Crafts

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
          Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
          by Linda In Phoenix
          It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
          Today, 06:47 PM
        • Linda In Phoenix
          Reply to Plastic puzzle
          by Linda In Phoenix
          Nice puzzle. Go for the gusto---scroll it next time!! Several of the quality brands of blades make blades just for acrylics. With a sharp blade and the right speed it's all good.
          Today, 06:38 PM
        • Jim Finn
          Reply to Farmers market "survey"
          by Jim Finn
          The fees here in Lubbock Texas are $45 per year plus $15 per 10' x 10' space each Saturday that I show up. . Crafters are limited to number and type (to avoid duplication, competition) Any kind of set up allowed, meaning, tent or truck or trailer. No insurance requirements, just a sellers permit from...
          Today, 04:48 PM
        • MidMich324
          Reply to Plastic puzzle
          by MidMich324
          Using Corel Draw a 10 inch round acrylic jigsaw puzzle was created. It was the cut on an Epilog Laser. Two passes were used to cut thru 1/4 acrylic so as not to melt the plastic. Only one person has put it together so far. It is about 475 pieces. But would really like to try and cut one by...
          Today, 03:57 PM
        • RJweb
          Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
          by RJweb
          As far as the Incra miter gauge, if you keep it 1/4 inch away you will be fine, but you will have to adjust it when doing angle cuts, it’s a great miter gauge, RJ...
          Today, 03:42 PM
        Working...
        X