My First Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Project

Thought I would post some pictures of my first project.

I have done some cutting before this, but it was all freehand and just scrap to get a feel for the saw. Last night I started this.

Thoughts, opinions, and hits are welcome and encouraged. I will take all the help I can get.

I will post more pictures as the project progresses.

Note: I got this pattern and may others from Steve Good's Blog at Scrollsaw Workshop.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dave J; 06-14-2012, 05:52 AM. Reason: Adding new pictures

I'm multi-talented: I can talk and piss you off at the same time

You may want to go to a smaller drill bit. I understand you have to use pin end blades so that may dictate the size of bit. You might replace the waste above the fishing pole and tape it in place then when you cut the bottom area free you will have less of a chance of breaking the pole if you get some wood chatter. Wood Chatter.....???? You will find out soon enough. LOL Happens when you don't hold the wood down tight to the table top and a tooth catches...

Nice start to your project.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Originally posted by wood-n-things View Post
      You may want to go to a smaller drill bit. I understand you have to use pin end blades so that may dictate the size of bit. You might replace the waste above the fishing pole and tape it in place then when you cut the bottom area free you will have less of a chance of breaking the pole if you get some wood chatter. Wood Chatter.....???? You will find out soon enough. LOL Happens when you don't hold the wood down tight to the table top and a tooth catches...

Nice start to your project.
      Thanks for the tips. The piece is only 5x7, It may look bigger in the picture which may account for the drill holes looking so large. That being said they are a lot larger then I want them to be, but a small as the pins will allow.

My plan for fixing the pole is to recut, or sand to smooth and change the angle of it before I cut under it. That way I can keep the original width.

Thanks for tip of taping the cut out back in place to keep from breaking it. I will do that for sure!!!

Comment

small drill bits and chucks for them can be had at "mikes work shop" he also has alLOT of good information on blades and bits......

Comment

Originally posted by HAMMER View Post
          small drill bits and chucks for them can be had at "mikes work shop" he also has alLOT of good information on blades and bits......
          Thanks for the comment HAMMER. I have smaller bits, actually I have a good assortment of bits that are much much smaller then the one I used for this. The issue is that the saw only takes pin end blades and with any smaller hole the blade just simply won't fit through.

Comment

Oh! I see. I don't like pin bits for that very reason. May be they have a modification for your bit holder that will also take pin less blades. What type of saw are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by HAMMER View Post
              Oh! I see. I don't like pin bits for that very reason. May be they have a modification for your bit holder that will also take pin less blades. What type of saw are you using?

The saw I am currently using is a old mastercraft 13". I am looking for a new one, but trying to wait for a good one to go on sale. I'm trying not to spend any money on the saw I am using now. And yes, I hate the pin blades too, they just get in the way. I will just stick to the less detailed projects for now that I can drill larger holes in.

Comment

Dave,
                did you see my tip about knocking the pins out of the blades, inserting the blade and re-inserting the pin? This will allow you to cut more delicate fret pieces albeit a little slower than pinless blades.
                "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Hey Mike, yes I saw that suggestion. I will keep that in mind when I start my next project. thanks

Comment

Keep us posted we all want you to succeed.
                    "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I sometimes would drill a 1/8 hole and then drill a 1/16 hole beside it to get the blade and the pin through because I could get the pin out then would almost always lose it before I could put it back in. Drilling the two holes is a pain but it would fit into smaller places and let me cut more detailed patterns with pinned end blades.
                      It's only a mistake if someone saw you do it.

It's not about what saw you drive. It's about the skill you drive it with.

Jim

Comment

Thanks Mike, I will.

Thanks for the tip Flyer.

Added new pictures. Any suggestions on how to get rid of the glue on the last picture? Its from the spray on adhesive.

Comment

If you're using spray on adhesive to hold your pattern in place, then you need some mineral spirits. Gently wiping the piece with it will take the glue off. Very nice first piece. It looks like you're learning quickly and having fun!

Jan

Comment

Thanks Jan,

I will pick some up when I pick up some finish today. and yes, I'm having a blast.

Comment

Just one comment on the mineral spirits. I use it to remove almost all my patterns and then to clean any residue left behind. But make sure you read the warning label about disposal of the rags.....

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X