CNC Router Table Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNC Router Table Upgrade

I'm sure some of you remember my other thread http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/works-process/40825.htm

I have decided to start doing some upgrades. For right now I am getting rid of the skate bearings on the Y and Z axis and using fully supported linear rails and bearings. I am also replacing all the wood parts on the gantry and going with some heavy aluminum.

I wanted to do the rails on the X axis also but my bearing supplier is having a hard time finding rails over 60". This will give me a chance to see how everything works and then maybe another small upgrade in the future.

Just so everybody knows it is a lot easier working with wood! LOL
    Attached Files
    Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

When the site speed gets better i will look at all the pictures, but from a couple it sure looks like it will be sturdy. Did you consider the 80/20 extruded aluminum? Mine is made from that and has served me well.
    Steve.
    EX-16, DW-788, Dremel 1680

Comment

Steve

I did look at the 80/20 but the distributor around here would not answer the phone and never returned calls, so I decided to go this route. All the aluminum I am using is 6061T6 (structural grade) so it should be pretty sturdy once it all comes together.

I know what you mean about the site loading the pictures took a long time too. Hope they get it fixed soon.
      Tim

Comment

It runs again!

Here is an update.

The machine is operational again. The linear rails and bearings make a huge difference in the speed, with the skate bearings I set the machine to cut at 120" per minute the linear bearings allow me to go up to 300" per minute. I guess an upgrade on the X axis will be next.

The only thing left to do is mount the limit switches and tidy up the wiring.

Here are a few pics.
        Attached Files
        Tim

Comment

This is looking like more than a hobby challenge. That is one heck of an accomplishment.
          What will you be making on it?
          Rolf
          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Looks like you know what you are doing. Keep having fun.
            Does it take gall bladders out too?
            Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Tim you are a real handy person to have around the house aren't you....I can not believe how your mind works.

You beat me to it WD...I was wondering if the machine could fix my bad shoulder
              Hawaiilad
              Larry

Comment

Rolf

Right now I have a few custom signs to make then I am going to do a few experiments. I am working on the plans for adding the 4th axis. I also want to find another spindle with lower RPM so I can cut metal with it too. End mills don't like the 8000 RPM setting on the router.

Larry

I have always been one of those people that like to take things apart to see how they work the only problem is sometimes they just don't go back together. LOL We might be able to make a prosthesis for the shoulder.

Gloria

Sorry but I think the gall bladder would be way to messy.
                Tim

Comment

Tim,

You are amazing!

Nancy in AZ
                  A clean house is a sign of a broken scroll saw!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• cwmagee
                    Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                    by cwmagee
                    I think it might be a letter that one would need to use the left index finger. Perhaps you need a heavier hammer.
                    Today, 05:39 PM
                  • jim_mex
                    Reply to New tools
                    by jim_mex
                    Hi Rolf - the unit I bought will also do Tig welding once you buy the optional accessories - torch, nozzles etc: - plus it will do conventional stick welding too. I doubt I'll be heading down the TIG route anytime soon, at least not for the projects I have in mind at the moment.

I did a...
                    Today, 05:26 PM
                  • Rolf
                    Reply to New tools
                    by Rolf
                    Jim I bought a mig welder the last time I did a frame off restoration on my TVR. I had a few frame cracks. I bought one that used shielding gas. I never really mastered the power vs feed vs moving the torch. Using it only a couple of times a year did not help.
                    My dream was to buy a TIG so that...
                    Today, 04:32 PM
                  • Rolf
                    Reply to Big week here
                    by Rolf
                    Yes you have had a great week.! It is really nice that your son shared this special moment. Regarding retirement, Almost 5 years for me, Never regreted my decision, not for an instant.
                    Today, 04:19 PM
                  • jim_mex
                    New PC keyboard has an error
                    by jim_mex
                    Partly because I have trouble seeing small letters with my one remaining eye and also because my existing wireless keyboard gave up the ghost a couple of days back I went out this morning and bought a new wired keyboard from our local Oice Depot.

I chose one with really big blue illuminated...
                    Today, 03:47 PM
                  Working...
                  X