Trivet Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trivet Question

Ok I know a lot of us make wood trivets but how many actually put hot pans on them on a regular basis? I had one woman complain about wood burning on some she got at a craft show. I use Spar varnish on mine and haven't heard any complaints and I do make a point of telling I will fix or repair free if they do burn. I would like to hear what others have discovered doing this!
    Last edited by WGR; 03-13-2012, 03:04 AM. Reason: misspelled word
    WGR

To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable.
    Oscar Wilde

I have been scrolling the Trivets for many years, and had always heard not to use any type of varnish or poly on them. I dip them in 100% Tung oil or mineral oil. They seal the wood and will not allow a pot to burn the wood. As far as using them, yep, we do and I know several of our kids do as well.
    Hawaiilad
    Larry

Comment

heres some i did for my superbowl party for all the hot dips. i used plain acrylic paint not knowing how it would hold up with heat but it was family and there pans not mine so why not try ha ha they worked great

jerry
      Attached Files

Comment

With a wooden trivet, I would say that the risk of scorching & burning are part of the price you pay to have an item made from a natural material. I don't think there is any finish, available to the consumer, that will fully protect against the high heat of a pan right out of the oven or off the stove top. Some are better than others (and perhaps some woods are more heat resistant than others), but in my opinion, if it's hot enough to really scorch the wood, it's probably hot enough to damage just about any finish you can put on it. I wouldn't necessarily depend on a finish to protect the wood from high heat.

That said, maybe consider putting a label on wooden trivets for sale, that says something like; "This trivet is made from a natural material and may be subject to scorching and burning when in contact with very hot items. Please use caution."
        Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

I have an oak trivet on the table that we have used for several years including pans right from the oven and it hasn't burned. It was soaked in mineral oil then let dry and buffed with a brown paper bag.

Comment

The ones i have made and tried to use poly, or lacquer or shellac have either scorched, turned the finish white or scratched. I now just use a tung oil mixture and that works pretty good. Disclaimers are always nice...some folks get turned off by them but it does help those out who actually receive (as in gifted) or purchase an item.
            "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
            Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
              Reply to Sundays market
              by will8989
              We did. I only went $40 over budget. I got a 73” x 12” x 3/4” curly cherry for $55. Just needs to be run through the sander and cut to size. It’s a pinkish cherry and is so pretty. A piece of deep red redwood, 2 pieces of walnut each about 12” wide. Good haul.
              Today, 08:56 PM
            • Jim McDonald
              Reply to Interesting pallet
              by Jim McDonald
              I have harvested some very interesting specimens in the last 10 years. Bookmatched ash that was absolutely beautiful; red oak, maple, some spalted "something" and more.
              But since most of the cross boards on pallets are 3 to 4 nches wide and 3/8" to 5/8", I have few uses for...
              Today, 08:17 PM
            • Quartz43
              Reply to New tools
              by Quartz43
              I have an implanted spinal cord stimulator to help with back pain. They also have warnings about welding. I could not get one when I was working in an electric furnace steelmaking shop as the electrodes were over 1000 amps and volts. I have also decided to stay away from welding as I just do not...
              Today, 03:40 PM
            • hotshot
              Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
              by hotshot
              You did a great job on that video. You speak and explain well!...
              Today, 02:27 PM
            • RJweb
              Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
              by RJweb
              I am glad it is all working out for you, RJ...
              Today, 01:31 PM
            Working...
            X