My version of the domed lid box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My version of the domed lid box

This is my version of Scrollsaw Woodworking's Domed Lid Box. I glued up red oak and poplar instead of using one thick piece of maple and I made a little knob using the pattern for the pawn in Steve Good's 3D chess set. The lid isn't very domed, but I made some designer firewood the first time I tried, so I left it mostly flat with rounded edges the second time around. Finished with Krylon clear satin.

Tim
    Attached Files

Very nice one....i like it.

Danny
    Patterns are for sale on my website http://www.intarsia.co.uk

Comment

Great job on the domed lid box. I like your choise of red oak and poplar those wood work really well together.
      sigpic: Dan US Navy PR1 (Ret)
      To all who serve or have served, Thank you
      Well I am the worlds greatest scroller at my house.

Comment

I agree with Dan nice choice of woods very nice.Jerry
        Don't worry be scrolling

Comment

Thank you all - I'm glad I discovered my new hobby...

Comment

I like your added detail and choice of wood. The finish looks great ! what didyou use?
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
              I like your added detail and choice of wood. The finish looks great ! what didyou use?
              I use Krylon clear satin on nearly everything. It dries in a few minutes and seems to be pretty durable.

Comment

That's a nice job with some very artistic touches. It's on my cut list for this week and I planned to dome the top of the lid before cutting the frets instead of afterwards. As long as I keep the bottom flat, I don't expect to have any problems with the internal bevels as I cut the frets.

george
                A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
                George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

you did a great job.

Comment

Great job. I thought about using the different wood , but didn't have any on hand and wanted to get it started. I kinda short on patience.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                      Reply to Source for 5-Ply poplar plywood?
                      by will8989
                      I do all my puzzles in 3/4” wood, mostly poplar but some cherry or walnut....
                      Yesterday, 10:57 PM
                    • millwab
                      by millwab
                      Understandable for your baskets Betty, but in my experience 1/4” solid wood for puzzles tends to not hold up very well. Especially the small locks....
                      Yesterday, 08:57 AM
                    • will8989
                      Planer do
                      by will8989
                      Should read planer Died yesterday. But Bruce got out his instruction book and google and got it apart. Needs new belt, plastic cover and pulley gear. Ordered from eBay and should have by Monday. Of course all work on dough boards stopped. $55 is much cheaper than a new planer. Oh well, on to the next...
                      Yesterday, 08:48 AM
                    • will8989
                      by will8989
                      My customers won’t buy anything cut from plywood. I’ve spoiled them. I use poplar for all my kid puzzles. With Bruce volunteering at the County Park antique sawmill, I have an endless supply of poplar. My current batch is green and white striped. I make cases for all my puzzles and back them with...
                      Yesterday, 08:43 AM
                    • will8989
                      Reply to Wood supply
                      by will8989
                      I have enough of that. I bought 3 sheets of 1/8 and 1/4 a few months back. Bruce was at the sawmill yesterday and the superintendent of the Park told them they were getting over 50 oak trees from various county parks. The trees have sort of bug that is killing them . They will be quarantining them in...
                      Yesterday, 07:40 AM
                    Working...
                    X