Duck Crossing Signs: Making Custom Router Templates With The Scrollsaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duck Crossing Signs: Making Custom Router Templates With The Scrollsaw

Although this project is now complete, I decided to post it in the WIP forum, because of the nature of the thread.

Here is a project I took on last Fall, which I found both enjoyable and rewarding.

My brother is buried at a local cemetery nearby a beautiful small lake. When he was alive, he always enjoyed walking there, and watching the numerous ducks which populate it. Despite the reputation that Western New York has, we really do have gorgeous seasons, and some of the landscaping (and architecture) is really fantastic.

Here are some pictures of the lake, full of our many feathered friends.

Shawn Ferguson

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !

The technique I used to achieve this, and which I think may be of interest to members of the Forum, was to create custom templates cut from my scrollsaw, which could be used to accurately guide the cuts made with my router.
    Shawn Ferguson

Comment

Finding and preparing the stock:Creating the templates:
      Shawn Ferguson

Comment

A Quick Tip:A Bit About Bits
        Shawn Ferguson

Comment

Routing out the letters:
          Shawn Ferguson

Comment

Cutting the "Duck" out of the duck:

Shawn Ferguson

Comment

Final finishing:
              Shawn Ferguson

Comment

WOW Shawn...what a beautifully executed project and very, very imformative! I really like the new duck-xing sign...those duckies are just too dang cute. Also, what a beautiful tribute to the memory of your brother. Thanx so much for sharing!
                ~ Kim

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com

Comment

Wow Shawn...
                  thanks for the journey...
                  It was a blast...And I love to see folks doing this in the name of benevolence and love...
                  Great stuff Buddy...!!
                  <Pats on the back>
                  Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
                  No task is too tedious for Art.
                  Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
                  Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Way to help out there and a beautiful job on the piece of art work.Jerry
                    Don't worry be scrolling

Comment

Your brother must have one big smile..............excellent "tutorial", photos, and sweeeeet cuts.
                      Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Nicely done Shawn! Good job.

You mentioned being momentarily stymied by the problem of finding a bearing guided bit small enough to use for your project. Have you ever used guilde bushings, mounted in the hole of your router base? These serve a similar purpose, but rather than the bit contacting the edge of your template, the guide bushing does. This allows you to use thinner material for the templates, but does force you to compensate for the thickness of the bushing when laying out the template. Your solution worked well and turned out great. Congrats!
                        Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Beautiful work, Shawn, and a beautiful tribute for your brother.

Jan

Comment

Nicely done and once again very well explained in story format. I'm sure your brother is smiling down at you. Bill beat me with his suggestion of the guide bushings. For future reference.

Online Extras - Woodsmith Magazine

Here is one set.

Template Guide Bushings - Woodcraft.com

Your workaround worked great.
                            "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                            Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Thanks, guys!

Bill and Mike, I did consider using bushings, but my understanding with that approach is that I would have had to calculate and cut much larger templates for the bushings to contact, since there is no longer a 1:1 size ratio. I could have done that, and it would have been a solution if allowing the shank of the bit to spin on the MDF did not work. I got lucky that it did!
                              Shawn Ferguson

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• NC Scroller
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by NC Scroller
                                My process is a bit different. Since I am using heat shrink bags when you seal the open end you trap a lot of air in them. When you start to heat the bag to shrink it you create a large bubble. I continue to heat the bag until it does pop a hole. I have been doing this for years. The shrink wrap...
                                Today, 07:42 AM
                              • will8989
                                by will8989
                                None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
                                Today, 12:20 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                                The bags seem easier on the surface.
                                But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                                Yesterday, 03:24 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                                Yesterday, 10:32 AM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                                Yesterday, 09:46 AM
                              Working...
                              X