Senior Class Gift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senior Class Gift

I haven't posted in a while, but senior year is really busy and I haven't had much time. The project I am working on now is my senior class's gift to our school. It is a very large intarsia tiger that I am taking from the picture below. It will be about forty inches tall and fifty inches wide. Any tips about taking on large projects would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Kyle
    Sir, I have not yet begun to fight!
    ~ John Paul Jones

Kyle

That is quite a project to take on. A lot of parts to fit together.

I made one of Kathy Wise's pattern of a tiger with a small tiger in the grass. I spent a lot of time cutting and fitting the pieces together. I thought I would never get it done. I did cut a couple of pieces twice to get the parts to fit good.

How far along are you on your project? I may have some tips that I use to fit parts together.

waynemn

Comment

That pic looks to have a copyright on it, not sure if you've done it already but my first tip would be to get his permission to render it if you haven't done so,just my 1/2 pennies worth.Jerry
      Don't worry be scrolling

Comment

DukeNukem- I checked his site for the copyright regulations, and it said that educational use was okay as long as I post a photo credit with it. There is going to be a plaque with my name and the date on it and I can easily put his name on it too.

Waynemn- I have the pattern made, but I am waiting for administration to figure out how to buy the materials, and I've been waiting for about a month.
        ~ John Paul Jones

Comment

Kyle - very ambitious project. Keep us updated on your progress.
          Fred
          aka Pop's Shop
          Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!.

Comment

Here is what I have done so far. Hope you like it.
            ~Kyle
            ~ John Paul Jones

Comment

wowzers! That is a good looken start.
              I'm only an admirer of intarsia, and I really admire your work on this.
              Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
              Desert Woodcrafters
              Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

This is amazing already. I hope one day I can get involved in something this nice !

Great work!

Comment

Kyle that is a nice start to your piece..
                  Hawaiilad
                  Larry

Comment

Nice project, can't wait to see that one finished!
                    ---Joel; Central MD...rookie empter nester and getting back into woodworking!

Comment

Thanks all for the compliments, hopefully I can finish it before graduation.
                      ~ John Paul Jones

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• handibunny
                        Reply to EX dust collection holes screwed up a project.!
                        by handibunny
                        Rolf, smaller bowl-cutting angles, 30˚ or less, usually don't present a problem either with vibration or for cutting into the table. It's when you get into the 40˚ and 45˚ range that things get dicey for both. (The Seyco saw doesn't even cut bevels greater than 35˚ or so!) If you add even a slight...
                        Today, 09:21 AM
                      • Bill Wilson
                        by Bill Wilson
                        I've done some bevel cutting on my EX-21 as well and also have not experienced any added vibration, nor have I cut into the table. Perhaps I haven't cut at a steep enough angle, but the existing blade hole has been sufficient. I do despise the useless vacuum holes, but I've learned to live with them...
                        Today, 09:06 AM
                      • cwmagee
                        by cwmagee
                        Carole Your hole size was a concern when I purchased the Pegas Replacement Table for my EX21, because I had cut into the side of hole on the original table, The damage I did to the old table was due to the blade adjustments were not in the center of blade holders. So far that has not been an issue...
                        Today, 08:40 AM
                      • Rolf
                        by Rolf
                        That is an interesting point Carole. I have done some bevel cutting on the EX and can't say that I have experienced an increase in vibration or any problems with following the lines. I know when I cut one of your bowl designs on my Hawk I really had to concentrate on not pushing down hill....
                        Today, 07:28 AM
                      • handibunny
                        by handibunny
                        Just a word of caution about the size of the blade hole. When I used a DeWalt years ago in the infamous community woodshop, and also with my more recent experiences with the Jet, if you do much bevel cutting at a steep angle, you will cut into the table. That's why inserts have the slot that can be...
                        Today, 06:21 AM
                      Working...
                      X