Question on workshop progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on workshop progress

My question is when I start putting tools back in the shop I want to be careful and was wondering if I put those carpet sticky pads under the bandsaw's feet do you think the bandsaw will move when I'm using it? I guess I'll find out though won't I?I'm hoping I don't ever drop or drag anything on the linoleum floor and tear it.
    I will use some of those carpet pad things under what I can. (Tables,cabinets, the stools)
    Any other suggestion for something under the bandsaw's feet to protect the flooring? Or just put it in a spot and don't move it? Seems like I always had to move it a little to adjust here and there, but that may be because nothing was organized before.

Progess continues. Finally got an electrican over here today. My grandson and his friend came and dug a ditch for me to lay the electrical line in conduit.

This has really turned into quite an expensive project but I'm half way there now so I can't quit now. I'm too excited to see it finished and get to making something.
    I've got to sell lots of projects to make this up.

Yes things add up quickly but in the end it is all worth it. Do not take any short cuts but do as much work as you can yourself.

I have a dedicated shop but I still have many tools on locking casters. These include bandsaw, jointer, planner, wide belt sander, and mini lathe. Quality locking casters will not move when using the tools.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Catlyn

I would suggest looking at a mobile base for the tools you want to move around. Why are you putting linoleum flooring in a workshop if you are worried about it tearing?
      Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

I would not go to the expense of putting down linoleum or vinyl in a shop. You are going to drop screws nails paint glue not too mention the sawdust. I would just put down plywood and seal the cracks with caulk. You can paint it if you like.

Vinyl is going to get torn and stained.

Where in Arkansas are you located?
        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Originally posted by evilbadger View Post
          Catlyn

I would suggest looking at a mobile base for the tools you want to move around. Why are you putting linoleum flooring in a workshop if you are worried about it tearing?
          Ease of cleanup and it seemed to be the only choice I had.
          What would you put down?

Comment

I would just put down plywood and seal the cracks with caulk. You can paint it if you like.
            It is a much better choice if you are not going to have a slab poured. Just my opinion of course...
            "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Originally posted by evilbadger View Post
              Catlyn

Catlyn : I use mobile bases under my real heavy machines , and it was also commented something about concrete - it's the best flooring for the shop . And Mike's right about sealing the cracks in the plywood flooring too . Just ask and someone will give there two cents worth .........MB
              Usually busier than a cat in a sandbox !!!!!!!!!!! MB { Dewalt 788 only }

Comment

Originally posted by wood-n-things View Post
                I would not go to the expense of putting down linoleum or vinyl in a shop. You are going to drop screws nails paint glue not too mention the sawdust. I would just put down plywood and seal the cracks with caulk. You can paint it if you like.

Vinyl is going to get torn and stained.

Where in Arkansas are you located?
                I'm south of Little Rock about 60 miles.

Comment

I almost moved to Mountain home this summer but the tornado warnings and flash floods brought me back to my senses. <grin>
                  "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Catlyn, congrats on the new shop!!! I agree with ya, the cost adds up real fast! Regarding your floor...is it a concrete slab or plywood? If it is a concrete slab I found a wonderful product to use RustOleum.com. I luv it as it helps seal the concrete and is easy to sweep, vacumn, and/or mop. It is a two-part epoxy so it hardens nice so if you spill solvents or such it does not dissolve the paint. Additional paint, glue and all the good stuff I drip on the floor wipes up good too. They include these little hardened chips, which help with the floor being too slick. Just a recommendation.

I agree with the other post...I would not put linoleum/vinyl down...personal experience. I chose to put down vinyl (commercial peel n stick) in adjoining room to my studio...BIG mistake! If you do not have your floor absolutely clean and level it has a tendancy to lift and a nightmare to clean!!! Part of my problem is that I had some leaking around the door jams and such and the tiles all started lifting. All the seams catch the fine sawdust and a nightmare to clean. Sheet goods may be a better alternative, but not sure if I would go to the expense.

Just my two cents...

BTW - Almost all of my father's side of the family live in the Mountain Home area...beautiful area!
                    Last edited by lkbraa; 11-11-2011, 06:52 PM. Reason: typo
                    ~ Kim

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com

Comment

This little building is on block foundation.....
                      the subfloor is plywood. Pouring concrete wouldn't work I don't think.
                      It would probably crack as the ground where I live..in Arkansas, tends to move alot. Probably should have stuck with a thick plywood with an exterior grade but I think part of the floor is already down now.....just have to deal with it and do my best not to damage it.
                      I'm pretty careful with stuff like that. I don't drop stuff on my hardwood floors.
                      I was just thinking of moving the bandsaw a bit if I needed to move it. I will try some of those carpet pads on the feet. And I intend to make some carts for some tools.

Originally posted by lkbraa View Post
                      Catlyn, congrats on the new shop!!! I agree with ya, the cost adds up real fast! Regarding your floor...is it a concrete slab or plywood? If it is a concrete slab I found a wonderful product to use RustOleum.com. I luv it as it helps seal the concrete and is easy to sweep, vacumn, and/or mop. It is a two-part epoxy so it hardens nice so if you spill solvents or such it does not dissolve the paint. Additional paint, glue and all the good stuff I drip on the floor wipes up good too. They include these little hardened chips, which help with the floor being too slick. Just a recommendation.

I agree with the other post...I would not put linoleum/vinyl down...personal experience. I chose to put down vinyl (commercial peel n stick) in adjoining room to my studio...BIG mistake! If you do not have your floor absolutely clean and level it has a tendancy to lift and a nightmare to clean!!! Part of my problem is that I had some leaking around the door jams and such and the tiles all started lifting. All the seams catch the fine sawdust and a nightmare to clean. Sheet goods may be a better alternative, but not sure if I would go to the expense.

Just my two cents...

BTW - Almost all of my father's side of the family live in the Mountain Home area...beautiful area!

Comment

I would paint the the wood floor It certainly will make it easier to clean.
                        My shop is in the basement on a concrete floor, like Kim I used the Rustoleum unlike Kim it has not held up at all. It is pealing up everywhere. An yes I followed the directions precisely letting the concrete cure the etc.
                        That said I bought a big roll of rubber floor matting 7' x 15' . It is bullet proof easy to clean and a lot easier on the legs than concrete. My only regret is I only bought one roll (COSTCO)
                        I have mobile bases on most of my tools so they roll easily and when they are where I want them I release the the one wheel ant the sits on rubber pads. I will try and take pictures when I get home. (Standard Delta mobile base great, Shop Fox is C___p)
                        http://www.google.com/products/catal...237&os=reviews
                        Rolf
                        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I thank covering the floor is a great idea as long As it is a scroll saw shop and you are not going to. Be doin any thing big that wood hurt the floor. In my shop it wood work great All I do is scroll saw work and some big stuff wood. Sure make it. Cleaner and what I done under my saws is use rubber mats it sure helped my saws run smoother

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                            I would paint the the wood floor It certainly will make it easier to clean.
                            My shop is in the basement on a concrete floor, like Kim I used the Rustoleum unlike Kim it has not held up at all. It is pealing up everywhere. An yes I followed the directions precisely letting the concrete cure the etc.
                            That said I bought a big roll of rubber floor matting 7' x 15' . It is bullet proof easy to clean and a lot easier on the legs than concrete. My only regret is I only bought one roll (COSTCO)
                            I have mobile bases on most of my tools so they roll easily and when they are where I want them I release the the one wheel ant the sits on rubber pads. I will try and take pictures when I get home. (Standard Delta mobile base great, Shop Fox is C___p)
                            Delta 50-941 Mobile Base for 28-206 & 28-276 Band Saws
                            Bummer Rolf...sorry the product didn't hold up...what an expensive lesson!!! I have been lucky so far (over five years). But perhaps what has saved it is the rubber mats I laid down too! I couldn't find any of the rolls, but came across the squares that interlock...and like you, I wish I would have bought more! They are a true lifesaver on the feet and legs!

I took an old cabinet and built a base and added locking rollers for my bandsaw and storage, but really need to make a base for my table saw...thanx for the link!
                            ~ Kim

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com

Comment

I put linoleum on my shop floor. Then I took the scraps of linoleum and put those under the "feet" of the tools, cabinets, etc. On the band saw which I knew I would move I doubled over the scrap linoleum. So far it is working well.

Clean up is pretty easy - sweep up most of the sawdust. I will use a shop vac afterwards to get the finer dust. If I want it really clean I'll take a mop to it (haven't done that yet.....).

Theresa
                              Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• tgiro01
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by tgiro01
                                One issue I found with the insert that comes with the saw was the areas they smoothed for the kickback pawls. If the insert is leveled correctly, those areas are sitting about 1/32-inch below the table. I had a problem with some small pieces getting caught and jamming because of that. Sawstop's recommendation...
                                Today, 08:18 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to Interesting pallet
                                by Rolf
                                That is a definit rescue for a special project. I rarely get or use any pallet wood. But did use some from the pallet that my drill press was on. It looked like pine but was was very hard, carefully checked for nails and ran it through the drum sander with some 80 grit to get rid of any small grit.
                                Today, 08:16 AM
                              • Quartz43
                                Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                                by Quartz43
                                I wish I could post the video as it looks better with the lights blinking. I used some red clear plastic behind the eyes and nose. It was a fun project.
                                Yesterday, 07:29 PM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Interesting pallet
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Maybe a star shining to tell us something? That piece of wood is a very special piece! Good eye.
                                Yesterday, 07:27 PM
                              • Misouri Wayne
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by Misouri Wayne
                                Tough situation. Just have to take it one day at a time.
                                Yesterday, 04:55 PM
                              Working...
                              X