Workshop in progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workshop in progress

This is my workshop today...emptied out of everything. I have everything over on the deck behind the house covered up with tarps.
    Work on the shop starts in the morning. The building is 12x16.
    We're going to add to and update the electrical. The outlets in there now ARE grounded so that is a good thing. I'd have to completely strip it all out and start over if they weren't but at least they are grounded.
    There will be new lighting. I had 2 of those shop lights but I don't like those. I always have trouble keeping them things working so I've already taken those down and gave them away.
    The pictures show two sides and the upper part.....I actually have 3 small windows...one on each of 3 sides and the door on the 4th side.
    I'm going to insulate it, put up walls, a ceiling, a new subfloor with linoleum in a light color. The carpenter picked out some linoleum for me, I hope it's a light color. I told him to get something in a light color.
    I want to paint the walls and ceiling in a light color, too.
    I am so excited. I can't wait to see it develope.
    I have to decide where I'm going to place my tools.
    Bandsaw and scrollsaw (when I get the scrollsaw, will be out in the middle I suppose) and other tools around the sides.
    I have a router, miter, drill press. But some wall space will be taken up by shelving and peg boards.
    Anyway, just thought I'd post that at least I'm getting it started tomorrow! The carpenter/electrician will be here in the morning! whoohoo!

If anybody has any tips or suggestions....I'm open to take them into consideration!
    I would like for this shop to be functional and work well. It is so small it is going to have to be well organized.
    Oh, yeah, I am going to try and find a corner for a small fridge for drinks/snacks. No beer tho....diet cokes only. (Workshop with a fridge...I might live out there).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Catlyn; 11-06-2011, 12:36 PM. Reason: added comment

Well it is a great start.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

good for you! My shop is 10 by 12 so yours sounds large to me.
      You will probably need some work benches and those are great projects. I sure enjoyed building mine.
      Enjoy, it is a grand adventure.
      Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
      Desert Woodcrafters
      Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

Originally posted by stephenD View Post
        good for you! My shop is 10 by 12 so yours sounds large to me.
        You will probably need some work benches and those are great projects. I sure enjoyed building mine.
        Enjoy, it is a grand adventure.
        Definitely. I have some tacky old tables but sure would like to upgrade those.
        I have a bathroom cabinet that didn't work out somewhere else due to the size so I kept it and put it in the shop. I bought a big board for the top at Lowe's and it made a nice cabinet for the drill press. It has those 2 false drawer fronts so I'm going to try and remove those and make drawers for those spots.
        I want to be able to use every available space in this shop.
        I am a very impatient person and all this waiting is killing me. I want it done now, want my scrollsaw now.

Comment

Thanks for showing us your shop, I hope you keep posting pictures.

Bob
          Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

I like your idea of painting the walls and ceiling a light color. The brighter the better. I would suggest bright white as you can never have to much light in your shop.

Another suggestion is to install lots of electrical outlets to add flexability in tool placement.

Good luck and have fun laying out your new shop.
            Stoney aka Al

This gettin old stuff ain't for sissies!

Comment

what are you using for the walls? i used 3/4 inch chipboard for mine that way i dont need to find a stud if i want to hang something

Comment

Originally posted by Greenfield_Bob View Post
                Thanks for showing us your shop, I hope you keep posting pictures.

Bob
                I will as it progresses.
                I hope it turns out like I envision it.

Comment

Originally posted by widget View Post
                  what are you using for the walls? i used 3/4 inch chipboard for mine that way i dont need to find a stud if i want to hang something
                  I think that is what the carpenter suggested.
                  Will that paint well??
                  I want it painted in a very light white.

Comment

Great looking start. I did my shop walls and ceiling with OSB. Some folks call it chip board. If you use it make sure to install smooth side out. It paints OK. I would recommend priming it with oil based Kilz and them follow up with two coats of flat or semi gloss white latex.

The attached pic was taken while still under construction but the ceiling had been painted.
                    Attached Files
                    Scott
                    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Getting a good start there.
                      Tony

Comment

The outlets have already been mentioned. (never enough) I put in a GFCI outlet at the beginning of my loop so all the rest were protected.
                        I would paint the walls with a semi gloss, much easier to clean the dust off than on flat paint.
                        Rolf
                        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I agree Rolf, I would use a semi-gloss too. That dust will cling to it if it is flat latex. I was lucky with my work bench. My daughter in law had a drawer filled waterbed base to give me. I put one side of the base on the bottom & the other side of the bed, base on top of that one & covered the top with ply. Worked great. Ready made drawers & cabinet space. I would suggest putting your saw etc. on casters, so you can move it whenever you want too. The outlets are # 1, make sure you have plenty. Good luck & keep us posted.
                          PERK

Comment

Here's an update on workshop progress.
                            I still haven't been able to get the electrician over here but carpenter is working around it. He knows how to do that and the electrician will still be able to get things hooked up.
                            The electrician has committed to be here in the morning.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I never would have thought about paint making a difference. So I'll definitely use the semi-gloss.
                            I am so excited. I can't wait to see it finished.
                            One thing I've got all my tools over on the deck covered up.
                            We haven't had much rain so I think everything is staying dry but I'm anxious to get everything back inside. I'll have to paint before I can put it back in there but the room is so small I don't think it will take me long to do it.

Just went out there and it is going to be "tight"!
                            Already don't feel any wind or hear any outside noise and he doesn't even have all the insulation up yet.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Catlyn; 11-09-2011, 02:29 PM.

Comment

He's got alot done. Here's couple of pics. Got the walls and ceiling up.
                              The electrician is supposed to be here in the morning.

I can't wait til it's done and I can get all my stuff back in there. It's raining here but supposed to stop about midnight tonight.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Catlyn; 11-15-2011, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                                Today, 10:32 AM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                                Today, 09:46 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by NC Scroller
                                I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                                Today, 07:42 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                by NC Scroller
                                I shrink wrap all my puzzles. It is the best method I have found. I do not use a cardboard backer as some do. I use shrink wrap bags that I get from Amazon or Ebay. 8" x 12" will fit 95% of the puzzles I make.

To use the bags you will need a sealer. I have one very similar...
                                Today, 07:39 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
                                Yesterday, 10:01 PM
                              Working...
                              X