Liquid Barb Wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liquid Barb Wire

Thought I would share my newest experiment and/or wall sculpture <fingers and toes crossed>…hope it turns out!

Each of these lit’l guys measure roughly 9" x 14", including the tails. They all are constructed with the basic pattern with casual free-form cutting in the tail area. Each stingray consist of a bottom, middle section for body and then two ovals cut for the eyes…then glued up and clamped, shown in first photo.

Once all dry the fun begins…and lots, and lots of sawdust!!! Because of the funky shape of the tail and position of other pieces it was not possible to use belt/disc sander or my flex drum sander…so me and my dremel and mouse sander became really good friends. However, by the time I completed all seven of them my hands did not like either one of them - lol!!! Sanding was tricky, even with the additional material, I still had to be careful to not sand too aggressively, so that the integrity of the MDF was not too thin and brittle...but still be able to show movement, I hope it appears so! Second photo shows the initial rough shape, with next photo showing several stingrays in various stages.

Once I got them shaped/sanded a thousand different times…okay, an exaggeration, but my hands sure felt like it…I painted each one with a black base coat, and sanded them once again with 320 grit. I did not want to use their actual color, as stingrays are typically a sandy color to be able to camouflage in their natural environment, so I decided to use an artistic flare…blues and purples. I tried a painting technique with acrylic paint and isopropyl alcohol, which creates a soft blending of colors...let it dry and then sanded again. Thought I liked the result, but wasn’t too sure. Then decided to add a lit’l sparkle…lightly misting with silver spray paint…Oops…too much wind and paint! Tried to sand it off, no luck…then remembered I had some metallic spray paint in blue and purple. Gave it a try and it masked the bright silver, but also was covering up my painting technique. To my surprise I preferred it better and some of the painting technique still showed thru. Once dry, I added several top coats of high gloss lacquer.

Material solved, color solved…the next challenge will be mounting. My intention is to have them floating over each other. Currently my thought process is to use a couple 1” x 3” or 1” x 4”s, cut into wavy shapes (in case some of it is visible from any view) and then mount each one at various heights using different lengths of dowel rods. Anyway, that is my plan right now…we will see if it all works…WISH ME LUCK!!!

Thanx for letting me share and will post the finished photos once assembled. Any comments, suggestions and/or criticism are welcomed!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by lkbraa; 10-31-2011, 02:01 AM. Reason: typo, wrong dimensions
    ~ Kim

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com

Those are awesome...You are outdoing yourself ....again!
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Great work. The painting sure brings them to life

Comment

I'm struggling for a suitable superlative - wow just took my breath away. Reading through your post before looking at the pics I thought Nah - but wow.

Great job.
        Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Comment

First I saw the title and had see what this was....Wasn't expecting much. Then I started reading, and got really drawn in, resisting the urge to scroll down to the pics. Read the text thoroughly, and when I finally got to the pictures, I was blown away...
          Beautiful..!!!!
          I can't wait to see them in their final position......!!!

What about some really healthy fishing line... Just a thought....

Thanks for sharing your work, and giving such a great narative....!!!
          Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
          No task is too tedious for Art.
          Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
          Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

That is super neat! Looking forward to seeing the finished product!
            Tammy

Comment

Neat idea! Can't wait to see the finished project.
              Dan H

I would rather be friendly to a stranger than be a stranger to my friends.

Comment

Those look like they are going to be wonderful.
                DeWalt 788

Comment

Very unique! I really like them!

SQ
                  If you can't fix it with sawdust and glue, it's not worth fixing.

Comment

Excellent work Kim! Those look outstanding ... Looking forward to the final pics of the project. Thanks for sharing this look at your talent with us.

DW
                    Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
                    John Wayne

Comment

THANX SO MUCH EVERYONE!!! Your comments are all so very generous and humbling!

I thought the name ‘Liquid Barb Wire’ was clever, but wasn’t sure who would check my post out…so I’m glad it caught your attention, and kept it! I know some of my post can be long, but I thought one might enjoy sharing my thought process (or maybe not ;-) and perhaps learn from my mistakes…like spray painting in the wind…NOT – lol!

As mentioned in my initial post I had wanted to do this piece for a long time and glad I finally got the nerve up to give it a try. I let the lacquer cure all day so hopefully I can attempt to mount them in the next couple days as I really want to have them ready for our largest area juried festival this upcoming weekend. I am hoping it becomes my 'wow' piece that grabs peoples' attention, still keeping my fingers and toes crossed that they all come together how I want.

Additionally, I decided to tackle a few more pieces using the additive/subtractive method; a Queen Triggerfish, Sailfish and Mischievous Grace. I am trying to come up with clever names for the first two, but it hasn’t hit me yet….any suggestions!?! Any guesses of what subject ‘Mischievous Grace’ may be?!?

Hoping to get some photos taken to share before mid-week…the clock is ticking too dang fast for the upcoming weekend…already!!!

Thanx Again!
                      ~ Kim

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com

Comment

A dolphin???
                        Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
                        No task is too tedious for Art.
                        Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
                        Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Wow...beautiful work and a lot of it too! You could probably make a sculpture just from the pile of sawdust you created making these! Really nice - thanks for sharing.
                          ichibob
                          aka - Bob, USAF Ret.
                          www.grandpaswoodshed.com

Comment

Fantastic work Kim!! You amaze me with the different things you come up with - just fantastic. Can't wait to see it displayed.

As for your names - I just had to click on the link because of your title. I mean, I've run across a lot of barbed wire in the woods - old fence lines that had come down. I just couldn't figure out where you were going when you started talking about your sculptures. Kept waiting to see how you were working barbed wire into them. duh... Had to go back and re-read the title before it hit me! LOL (still wondering how you are making a liquid fence... lol) Now you have me guessing on Mischievous Grace....
                            T
                            Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

WOW!!!!! You have far more imagination than I do. Thanks for sharing an outstanding project with us. Can't wait to see the final pics.

george
                              A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
                              George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X