need help with necklaces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help with necklaces

i started scrolling awhile back and i started making some cross shaped necklaces for my church to give out to the kids who are getting confirmed.

i made a bunch out of walnut and cherry and im wondering if i should put a finish on them or leave natural? i think they look great as is but im curious if they will get dirty over time from handling or what?

let me know your opinions please?

+ + I Love The Smell Of Sawdust In The Morning + +

"Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

LOL @ Mike...

Northerner - I like to dip my items in a tung oil. It brings out the natural colors of the wood, and adds some protection to the wood. If I have time, after the oil dries, I will spray with a clear coat too.
      T
      Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

You probably should put a finish on them. It really helps bring out the grain and only adds to the beauty. The finish will also help keep dirt, skin oils, and all manner of yuck from ruining the look of the final project.

I know Mike was a little subtle but, if you have pictures, give us a look at your craftsmanship. It's always nice to see what others are making.
        Keith

Comment

here are a couple pics, hope they help

besides what finish to use maybe you all can give hints on
          easy ways to do the round over edge sanding, it takes me
          forever to do it by hand. i bought some mini sanding mops
          but they were the wrong thing to use.

Comment

Those are great looking. I'd dip them in watco danish oil. As for the round over they look fine to me a sanding mop is the way to go for this type of project maybe not the mini ones. You don't need these to be perfect they should have some character to them. In my opinion.
            "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Finish them for sure. I have been using DEFTOIL Natural. It is a great finish for dipping. It i almost impossible to mess it up.

Deft 070-04 Deftoil 1 Quart Natural Danish Oil Finish, Clear

Interior danish oil finish natural size=quart Preserves and enhances the natural beauty of wood. Penetrates deep into the wood for greater protection. Provides a hand-rubbed appearance without the effort. Resists water, alcohol and other common household chemicals.
              Scott
              Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

can either of those oils be picked up at a BORG's or where?

Comment

Watco is available at most Borgs and most smaller hardware stores even. I buy it by the gallon but you can get it in smaller containers to give it a shot.
                  You can get it with tint added so it works as a stain as well now. I get those in the smaller containers as a little bit goes a long way.
                  Also if you buy paint thinner it will say 100% mineral spirits and is sometime s cheaper than mineral spirits.
                  "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

A dremel tool with a sanding bit will help with the rounding over.
                    DeWalt 788

Comment

Originally posted by Northerner View Post
                      i started scrolling awhile back and i started making some cross shaped necklaces for my church to give out to the kids who are getting confirmed.

i made a bunch out of walnut and cherry and im wondering if i should put a finish on them or leave natural? i think they look great as is but im curious if they will get dirty over time from handling or what?

let me know your opinions please?
                      Post a picture when you get some necklaces finished.
                      I love to see what people are doing.
                      I'm going to be getting a scrollsaw soon, too.

Comment

catlyn, you didnt look very hard.

Comment

I didn't see any with the final finish or the piece that is going to place the necklace around the neck.....
                          I looked again and still didn't see that.
                          By "finished" I mean in the state to give to someone....

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• scrollerpete
                            Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                            by scrollerpete
                            You did a fantastic job Denny, I’m sure you will have an happy customer...
                            Today, 12:33 PM
                          • Sandy Oaks
                            Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                            by Sandy Oaks
                            This is a custom order request. The pattern is by Harvey Byler purchased from WoodCraftByScott.com. I enlarged the pattern by 10%. Cut at home on the EX21 using FD UR #5 blades. The wood is Poplar approximately 7" x 9". Sanded with the Sand Flee and dipped in Shellac diluted 50% with...
                            Today, 10:43 AM
                          • Rolf
                            Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                            by Rolf
                            Quartz. What are you not certain of?
                            I needed to make a couple of custom sized Octagonal replacement windows, I wanted the most precision. I don't remember where I bought it. If I had seen the bi-directional Incra 1000 I probably would have bought it instead. With the 2000 you have to choose...
                            Today, 09:08 AM
                          • Rolf
                            Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                            by Rolf
                            Love every bit of it! The lighting really makes it pop. Would you mind sharing the source for the lights that you used?...
                            Today, 08:55 AM
                          • Rolf
                            Reply to Craft Knife blade holder
                            by Rolf
                            I am very curious as to how the the slots were cut? The lathe work part of it is simple....
                            Today, 08:51 AM
                          Working...
                          X