No announcement yet.

Building a CNC Router Table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the information. I used to use something called Kipware that converted ACAD DXF files to G-code at work. But I am only driving X and Y on a laser cutter at work. No Z
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

It happened Jim!

To everyone following this thread here is the first real project.

The machine performed pretty well but there are a couple of things I think I can "tweak".

What do you think? Not to bad for a rookie that has never looked at a G-code until a couple of months ago.
      Attached Files
      Tim

If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will pay for it and not have it

Comment

Outstanding work Tim!
        -- Rick --

Comment

i want to build one of these in the worst way
          looks like your off to a great start!

+ + I Love The Smell Of Sawdust In The Morning + +

Comment

Northerner

It is a fun project, and it is pretty rewarding seeing it actually work once you get it built.
            It has a learning curve but don't let that scare you away.
            Tim

Comment

i would just have to go slow and buy the parts little by little as im sure they are expensive?
              but then again i would have no clue what parts to buy or where?

Comment

Northerner

The first thing to decide is what size you think you would need. The plans have several options. For example you could use standard threaded rod instead or precision threaded rod for some cost cutting. The motors and controller are kind of pricey and software can really run the price up depending on what you want to do with the machine. I would say about 85% of the parts you can get from Home Depot or Lowes. There are also several other plans out there but I can say I do not regret going the way I did.
                Tim

Comment

tim,
                  im not sure what i would get into for making if i built one but i guess if im going to build one
                  it just as well be fair sized i guess? maybe a bit smaller then yours tho?
                  what are the names of some of the good software for routing? and what kind of cost do the
                  controllers and motors run?

Comment

Tim it looks like you have the right plan from here , it's been very interseting following you ...................MB
                    Usually busier than a cat in a sandbox !!!!!!!!!!! MB { Dewalt 788 only }

Comment

Northerner

Here is a link for the motors and controller that I used Xylotex I went with the 425 oz 4 axis kit. Software is where it can get tricky, when doing my research it seems like 90-95% of the home shop guys use Mach3 software. Mach3 is the software that takes the G-code information and sends it to the motors. The price for Mach3 is $175.00 the next thing you would need is called CAM software this is what takes the drawings and writes the G-code. The guy that developed Mach3 has a program called LazyCam for $75 the only thing with LazyCam is he is no longer working on it because he says there are other reasonably priced CAM packages out there. Here is a link for Mach3 ArtSoft USA - Home of Mach3 and LazyCam on the downloads page there is a list of Cam software that Mach3 recommends. The first one on the list is BobCad/Cam it looks like a nice program but if you go to the site you will see they want $2500 for it, when I was checking it out I found a site that gives you a discount so you could buy it for around $350 something about that just does not seem right to me so I kept looking. My next choice was V-Carve from Vectric - CNC Software Solutions - Wood Carving - Engraving - Signmaking - Routing - Machining this is what comes with the Rockler Shark machine. I want to work on some 3D projects so I downloaded the trial version of Aspire which runs around $2000. It seems to be very user friendly and pretty easy to learn. I am still checking out some of the others out there and have not "decided " which way to go yet.
                      The only other thing you would need is a drawing program that can put out the file in a DXF format. Inkscape will work and you know that is free. I use Autocad and Autodesk Inventor for my business so that is what I like to use. Inventor now has an add-on Cam package so I am going to look into that option also.

There are a lot of choices out there and one of these things could easily get into 5 digit price range but there are also quite a few options to keep the price down. It really comes down to what you want the machine to do.
                      Tim

Comment

Marshall

Thanks for the encouragement. I know the CNC is taboo around here. Once work slows down a little I am going to work on the 4th axis.
                        Tim

Comment

CNC is not a taboo, it has its place. It just is not nice when people mis represent their work like trying to pass off laser cut for hand scrolled.
                          Rolf

Comment

Tim
                            If you are familiar with and have Auto cad (it may work with other drawing programs)
                            I draw a continuous poly line of a path I want the cutter to follow. I then do a list command and select the poly line. That gives me a list of all of the x and y coordinates. I copy and paste that into MS word where I filter out everything I don't need. What is left are the x and y coordinates of all you end points. The only problem I have is arcs because of the way my system handles them. This is where the dedicated software really helps.
                            I would love to see a copy of the G code for something like the palm tree in your sample project.
                            Rolf

Comment

I draw my stuff in Corel 12 and convert to DXF, Auto Cad 10 file.
                              Then I import into this program, DeskCNC Home page , and it converts the DXF to G code and runs the router. I know the program does a lot more stuff than what I use of it.
                              Rick Hutcheson
                              http://www.scrollsaws.com

Comment

I sure wish I knew what you guys are talking about!!!! I'm guessing some sort of router table thingy? Sounds interesting, whatever it is!!!
                                Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                  Reply to Hope everyone had a safe holiday.
                                  by will8989
                                  Sorry to hear that Scott. Bruce had it but I never did. And I try to isolate from Bruce whenever I can. ūü§™ We were even around our son and grandson right before they were diagnosed and nothing for us. I guess I overdid the shopping Carole. I tried to sign onto our bank tonight and it is ‚Äútemporarily...
                                  Yesterday, 11:31 PM
                                • Jim McDonald
                                  by Jim McDonald
                                  My saw is in a severe state of depression due to alleged abandonment. We have been clearing Becky's office since her retirement. She one of the last two original occupants of that new building in 2001, so it has been a lot of trips to the recycling bin with student thesis files, convention papers and...
                                  Yesterday, 07:07 PM
                                • Redlee
                                  Hello all, new here.
                                  by Redlee
                                  New here and looking for some help and guidance on scroll work and saws.
                                  I have a Hegner M25S and have recently made some upgrades and would like to improve the blade clamping. So looking for ideas and help.
                                  Thanks
                                  Yesterday, 05:54 PM
                                • Ralph123
                                  Reply to Clock hardware Kits.
                                  by Ralph123
                                  I didn't get the message. What address did you send it to?
                                  Yesterday, 02:05 PM
                                • meflick
                                  by meflick
                                  Whatever therapy works for you - is a good therapy. Glad your touch/retail therapy was beneficial for you Betty.

Scott, I am so sorry to ear that you and your wife have both had to fight through Covid. I hope this means that you are both on your way to healing, if a bit slowly....
                                  Yesterday, 12:14 PM
                                Working...
                                X