1st 3D Ornament!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st 3D Ornament!

I made this 3D ornament today, was my 1st try at these, this is my own pattern too, cut from 1 7/8" sq piece, it is a little over 5" tall. I am pretty happy with the results, need suggestions on finishing this. All comments welcome... good, bad or ugly, that's how we get better. Smitty
    Attached Files
    Last edited by smitty0312; 10-01-2011, 04:35 PM.
    Dan

My Gallery

ooh! so nice! I cut my 1st 3-d last nite and it was tough to do - had to really hold down on the wood so it didn't chatter all over the table. Have a mental block b/w how the pattern looks and the final product. Am impressed that you actually created your own pattern.

Comment

Nicely done. I'd use a sanding mop on it and then dip it (danish oil and mineral spirits mixture), let it drip for a little while, blow off the excess, let it cure for a day or so and then use a clear poly finish on it. That is just me though
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Very nice ornament. I have been doing the birdhouse compound cuts like others here have cut and they are fun. How did you design you pattern?
        Hawaiilad
        Larry

Comment

I have Inkscape. I designed a name letter train last weekend with inkscape, but have yet to cut it, I love the program once I got past the learning curve. Smitty
          Dan

My Gallery

Comment

Nice design... I like it. When I cut out 3D projects I make sure I put in a "non-reverse tooth" blade. That helps out with the chattering. Having burrs on bottom is a non-issue.

Comment

I love 3D cutting. Great job on the pattern. Thanks for sharing.
              Scott
              Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

That's a wonderful pattern, and I really like the way the wood grain comes out. What nice work!

Comment

Originally posted by sbarron01 View Post
                  ooh! so nice! I cut my 1st 3-d last nite and it was tough to do - had to really hold down on the wood so it didn't chatter all over the table. Have a mental block b/w how the pattern looks and the final product. Am impressed that you actually created your own pattern.
                  Great cutting. I attached a simple to make jig for cutting 3D Really simplifies the process.
                  Attached Files
                  May the wind at you back .....
                  Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

Originally posted by oily View Post
                    Great cutting. I attached a simple to make jig for cutting 3D Really simplifies the process.
                    Great picture oily, I should have included a pic of that with my other pic of the ornament.....that's just what I use too. Thanks Smitty
                    Dan

My Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by wood-n-things View Post
                      Nicely done. I'd use a sanding mop on it and then dip it (danish oil and mineral spirits mixture), let it drip for a little while, blow off the excess, let it cure for a day or so and then use a clear poly finish on it. That is just me though
                      I'm going to use my electric toothbrush sander(homemade) on all the delicate ornaments, I don't need any breakage during sanding. Smitty
                      Dan

My Gallery

Comment

Or if you're lazy, you can use 2 mini Irwin clamps and 2 blocks of wood
                        Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                          San Antonio Rock N’Roll
                          by will8989
                          Its a marathon not a dance. My 14 year old grandson ran a 8:50 mile in the 10k and finished 150 out of 1550 runners! My 12 year old granddaughter ran a 11:16 mile and came in 661 out of 1600 runners. Beat her mother by 100th of a second! I’m sure Sarah let her cross the line first. Tomorrow is the...
                          Today, 03:05 PM
                        • will8989
                          Reply to Today’s market
                          by will8989
                          I’m toast! All orders picked up, almost everything sold from the table. Did I say something about taking off tomorrow​​​​​? Nope....
                          Today, 02:54 PM
                        • tgiro01
                          Reply to Ornament Exchange 2021
                          by tgiro01
                          I must apologize to everyone on the list. I'm afraid my ornaments will be late. Thursday afternoon, Connie got checked into the hospital with congestive heart failure. Between that and her alzheimers, it has been an interesting couple of days. Once she is released from the hospital, she will go to an...
                          Today, 01:58 PM
                        • will8989
                          Reply to Today’s market
                          by will8989
                          These items, except the Christmas sign, are for 2 orders. Had a tough time this week, that brick wall kept getting in my way! Other than the market, I’m off until Monday! I decided to raise the price of the Christmas sign to $40. Tomorrow will be a heat wave - 45 at 6am! Mostly sunny. We’ll see...
                          Yesterday, 07:49 PM
                        • will8989
                          Reply to Fox Chapel show in May ???
                          by will8989
                          And lots of fun! Really enjoyed the dinners....
                          Yesterday, 07:37 PM
                        Working...
                        X