Another Celtic Knot Trivet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Celtic Knot Trivet

This may be the last of my Celtic knot trivets. It still has to have a final sanding and Danish oil finish. Getting the over-and-under look with palm chisels and sandpaper definitely took longer than the cutting. The grain of the oak piece didn't help either.
    Attached Files

Nicely done. I like the effect of the over, under. Would it be easier to accomplish this with a rotary tool? Just wondering.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Very tidy piece.

Those palm chisels certainly look a nice tool - now on my ever growing list of tools needed.

I imagine the corner lines causing the most problem?
      Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Comment

Rotary tool

Originally posted by wood-n-things View Post
        Nicely done. I like the effect of the over, under. Would it be easier to accomplish this with a rotary tool? Just wondering.
        On the first trivets I did try a Dremel with a small sanding drum. It was hard to sand at the angle I wanted and often too little space for the sanding drum. Worth trying though. I also used some burrs with the Dremel. I concluded the palm chisels and sandpaper did the best job even if it took longer.

Comment

Most Difficult Part

Originally posted by Mayo Farmer View Post
          Very tidy piece.

Those palm chisels certainly look a nice tool - now on my ever growing list of tools needed.

I imagine the corner lines causing the most problem?
          Cutting (with palm chisels) against the grain to get the over-and-under effect was the most difficult part.......particularly when carving into open grain like this oak piece had. That takes much more sanding to do.

I didn't cut the corners with the scroll saw because I was concerned about the strength of the trivet. It was pretty easy to cut into the corners with the small chisels to get the look I was after.

Comment

Well at least you gave it (rotary tool) a go. This turned out nice. Perhaps some basswood instead of Oak is in your future.
            "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
            Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X