Celtic Trivets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celtic Trivets

I used the local library for source material on Celtic art and symbols. I have cut 6 trivets (cherry, oak and walnut) so far. I will probably finish with danish oil or mineral oil.
    Attached Files

Nicely done.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Very nice, I like them a lot. You just gave me an idea for an upcoming charity sale. Hope you don't mind.
      Mick
      I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. Winston Churchill

Comment

Very nice cuts. Like Mick you also have me thinking.

Tell me though in the first picture where the rope goes under the the top, how do you achieve that effect?
        Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Comment

Yes, nice pieces. Good cutting. I like them a lot. Did you sand the intersections or use chisel carefully to accentuate?

Comment

Hummingbird trivet

Originally posted by journeyman View Post
            Very nice, I like them a lot. You just gave me an idea for an upcoming charity sale. Hope you don't mind.
            Mick
            Be my guest! I am usually borrowing someone else's ideas to I am glad to share one of my own. The Celtic knot trivets were very time consuming for me to make. The two Celtic symbols didn't require all the carving and sanding that the Celtic knots did. My favorite trivet so far is the hummingbird which I am attaching. That was straight cutting, no carving, a little sanding on the edges.
            Attached Files

Comment

Mayo Farmer -
              The first 4 trivets are all Celtic knots which feature the over-and-under look. #3 was the first one I made and I tried a lot of different things: Dremel, knife, chisel, rasps, burrs and lots of sanding. I got a small set of palm chisels for Father's Day and used them for most of the work on the other three plus sanding.

Comment

Palm chisels was a new own on me and I had to look it up. Nice tool.

Lovely job Harpone thnks for sharing.
                Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Comment

I really like your work! They look great!

Paul
                  www.flicker.com/photos/woodworks44224

Comment

Thanks for sharing a good idea. It has me thinking also. I presume you used 3/4" thick stock.

george
                    A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
                    George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

The cherry trivet is 1/2" thick, the two oak trivets are 5/8" and 3/4" thick. The walnut trivets are 7/8". I have a small planer and plane the wood I get (gifts or scrounging) until I get satisfactory smoothness. A friend of a friend was closing his home shop and gave me quite a bit of wood, all of which had to be planed. The walnut boards finished out about 7 /8".

Comment

Those are way cool and the hard work you put in them shows through most clearly. You are to be commended. Great effort for some beautiful pieces.

John
                        I've Got A Lot More To Learn
                        About Leaving Battlegrounds Alone
                        "~~ Molly Venter

Comment

They are very nice and I might try them also.
                          Thanks for sharing.
                          Tom

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X