How would you do this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you do this?

I made these three letter openers out of walnut but as you see they aren't done. Have to put an edge on them and finish. My wife takes stones and makes jewelry out of them and she thinks the stones would look nice on the openers. My question is how should I attach the stones to the openers? Also do you think they should be recessed into the wood an if so what would be a good way to do this? Thanks
    Attached Files

Hi Trackman
    Very nice cutting on the letter openers.
    I would recess them slightly by tracing the outline of the stones then use a dremel tool with a 5/64" high speed cutter to make the recess. I would then use a 2 part epoxy to attach the stones
    Mike
    "Why buy it if you can build it"
    www.midlothianwoodworks.com
    My Blog --
    http://midlothianwoodworks.wordpress.com/
    My CustomMade Page
    http://www.custommade.com/by/mikemathieu/

Comment

I agree with Mike...But I have carving tools so I might approach it differently....They look like they're going to look beautiful however you do it....
      Nice stuff...!!!!
      Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
      No task is too tedious for Art.
      Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
      Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

I agree with both Mike and Jim. Trace, make depression, epoxy. Nice scrolling. I don't put too sharp an edge on the ones I make but I do start with only 1/4 - 3/8 thick wood.

george
        A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
        George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

The recessing suggestion is good, especially if the stones have a flat edge around the dome. If you are able to make findings then a bezel head with a post on the back works also. The posts and bezel are then glued to the wood. We use a two part epoxy for this and it works great!

Comment

Thank all of you for your help! This is the best site for getting help and ideas.

Comment

Hey, Trackman, they sure look nice & will be even nicer with the stones attached. Just one more suggestion. If the stone is shaped like a marble, or a thickness that would allow you to cut the opening so the stone would slip SNUG into the opening & be visible from both sides. Of coarse you would have to epoxy it in place too. Just a thought & like your wifes idea. Those stone will really set them off. Good Luck Thanks for showing them to us.
              PERK

Comment

Best regards

Simon MARTIN
                From France

Visit My Gallery:Simon's Album

You can also look at my pyrography galery: Martin's Album

Comment

Thanks for your idea ubgoofy2003 we were thinking about doing that on one if the wife can grind a stone round for me. Simon I got the patterns from the March 2010 creative woodworks & crafts mag made by Dirk Boelman. He said the orginal patterns are form the late 1800's. And most likely from Italy, France or Germany. I think the wife has your email address if so I can send you a copy.

Comment

Suggestion on Gluing

Beautiful openers. But, here is a suggestion on the gluing. Remember that other crafters - from other disciplines, particularly jewelers - have had to attach their products to wood The jewelry industry has several glues available. I do so for some of my pins that I cut for the Heart Assocation as donations. So, consider looking at the glues on jewelrysupply.com - especially the E6000 glue. Check them all out. I was at Hobby Lobby the other day and if they also carry it. I think Michaels and AC Moore also carry it.
                    Barbara
                    Proud user of Excalibur, RBI Hawk, & Delta

Comment

Thanks Trackman! but I haven't this magazine...and I will appreciate that you can send me a copy. I make some letter opener but only by sawing, carving a little bit and sanding. thank again.
                      Best regards

Simon MARTIN
                      From France

Visit My Gallery:Simon's Album

You can also look at my pyrography galery: Martin's Album

Comment

I wood definitely put the stones in the handle.
                        John
                        I've Got A Lot More To Learn
                        About Leaving Battlegrounds Alone
                        "~~ Molly Venter

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X