John Nelson's Italian Fretwork Clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Nelson's Italian Fretwork Clock

I recently completed John Nelson's Italian Fretwork Clock that was in the Scrollsaw magazine. I used big leaf maple for 95% of it but the base is walnut. The figure in the wood was so wonderful that I did not want to add the additional ring around the clock face. I also did not cut the hole in the back as I felt it was not necessary. The clock won a blue ribbon at the NYS Fair. For those that wonder, I counted the cuts - 242 (including the outsides).

Here are pictures of it [I hope]:
    Barbara
    Proud user of Excalibur, RBI Hawk, & Delta

Sorry, doesn't look like your pictures loaded. Give it another go. I'd love to see them.

That clock has been very popular with members of this forum. A veteran member was the one who cut it for the magazine article. I recently finished it myself and pics of mine are in my thread, up in the General Scrollsaw forum.

Looking forward to the pictures!
    Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Here are pictures

Here are the pictures ... I guess I forgot to hit upload the last time.
      Attached Files
      Barbara

Comment

B'villeYou did that clock justice. The wood selection is perfect.
        You are right about the figure around the clock insert.
        This is a good example of taking a design and making it your own creation instead of just following the suggestions in the article. In your case wood selection and the removal of the trim ring around the clock face. Good choice on the insert I like the crazing.
        Did you scroll or turn the spacer ring?
        Rolf
        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

It is turned. We have two lathes at the house in addition to 3 scrollsaws. For the clock, it was cut on my Excalibur.
          Barbara

Comment

Outstanding!

You did the right thing by leaving the trim ring off the clock face. The figure in that maple is very nice!

I too wondered why the hole was designed to go the whole way through. I almost didn't cut it, but chickened out at the last minute, worrying that I would figure out why when it was too late.
            Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

I think the original design called for a different clock movement where you needed access from the back. obviously that is not needed when you use a snap in insert.
              Bill what did you think the hole was for?
              Rolf
              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Well, I actually started the cutting the clock before I had the insert in my hands, so while I presumed it was to allow access, I just wasn't 100% sure if I would need it or not. I wanted to have the holes drilled before I started the scroll work, so they were done before the clock arrived.

Ironically though, the first time I test fit the insert, two of the three little metal spring clips snapped. For a brief moment, I was kind of glad I had the access through the back, because I was thinking I might have to rig up some alternative mounting method. But one call to Klockit's customer service and they sent me a couple new clips.

Comment

B'ville - great clock!

Bill, I had the same problem with clocks from Klockit - I got 3 clocks from them and 2 clips broke on each one, 3 or 4 of them disintegrated in my fingers while I was inserting them in the clock before I ever got to the test fitting into my clock stage.
                  Harbor Freight (Central Machinery) 65406 - 26"

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X