The continuing saga of the Gotha bomber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The continuing saga of the Gotha bomber

Those who follow my various posts on my continuing toy/model airplanes know that I prefer building civil airplanes over military ones, military transport planes over fighters and especially over bombers and if bombers, any bombers over German bombers. Blame it on my upbringing.

So why did I for my last project of all things choose an imperial German WWI twin-engine bomber? No idea. Except that in addition of being imperial and German, the craft also had something quintessential dieselpunk to it. And I left out the machine guns when I drew up the plans.

So here I present the continuing saga of he Gotha G.IV (*)

I drew up the plans on my computer and as I originally planned it as a profile plane, just cut the fuselage and engines out of one block of really thick leftover pallette wood.
    editor_20220507_135057.jpg
    The block was a little thicker than I thought, which made the fuselage wing struts kind of ... awkward... editor_20220507_135207.jpg
    Still, I felt the design had some potential. So back to the drawing board.

The second version was completely cut out of 1/4' poplar hobby wood this time three layers of wood glued together formed the engines, four layers the fuselage. The layers allowed me to cut a propeller axle out of the middle layer and use it to pin a freewheeling propeller to the fuselage.
    editor_20220507_135800.jpg
    The wing struts by the way are toothpicks that fit into drill holes in the upper and lower wings. They are not loadbearing. The struts on the fuselage and engines take care of that..editor_20220507_135603.jpgunfortunately I either miscalculated or miscut the prop alignment so the propeller keeps hitting the wing. The real Gotha had special cutouts in the upper and lower wings for that. But in in my model, this didn't quite seem to work. Also I used too much glue.
    editor_20220507_135428.jpg
    As mentioned above, the fuselage made out of 4 layers of 1/4' craft wood. Which I used to add the real plane's gangway between cockpit and gunner stands..While this looked like a good idea in the design phase, it didn't really look like much on the finished model. Also, the fourth layer made the fuselage look rather chubby. So time to adjust the drawings again and leave the fourth layer out.

And here is the final version, ready to be cut. This time I felt sure of myself at least enough to use some good solid 1/4' oak. If nothing else, it will make the wheels and the props a bit more resistant to breaking on my saw.
    editor_20220507_151658.jpg
    As soon as I get an extra plank for the wings, I'll start cutting.

And I'll keep you updated

'Niklas

(*) Read the Wikipedia article for the real thing image widget
    Last edited by Ennobee; 05-09-2022, 10:09 PM.

That is a wonderful model.
    Denny
    ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

All I can say is WOW!
      Scott
      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I second that "WOW!"
        Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Yeah, I ought to do something with the plans. Only that 1) my computer is still behaving erratically so that I can draw images in 'pixeldraw 96' but not draw vector pans in inkscape. 2) I really feel conflicted about posting an airplane that was specifically designed an used to bomb London. Even if it was by the Imperial Germans and not the Nazis. It's a difference between shot in the head with a L├╝ger and run through with a bayonet.

I'd DOES look like quintessential dieselpunk though.

Comment

Halfway August and after 3 months of the planks with the plans already glued on them just standing next to my scrollsaw in the garage, I finally got the courage to start on cutting the next version.

So here is how things stand now: done: wings and fuselage. Still to do: engine pods, landing gear and general assembly.
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Ennobee View Post
              Halfway August and after 3 months of the planks with the plans already glued on them just standing next to my scrollsaw in the garage, I finally got the courage to start on cutting the next version.
              Happens to me a lot. Looking good. I am sure it will be worth the wait.
              Scott
              Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X