Ramp Walkers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ramp Walkers

Betty sent me a Question regarding the Ramp walkers in the last issue of SSWWC (Spring) . She asked me about a small tweak I had mentioned in a post.
    Betty I have no idea where I posted it.

For the ramp walkers to walk properly and walk in a reasonably straight line, the bottom of the feet need to have a continuous smooth arc and be square to the sides of the body.

After I assembled mine and before applying the finish. I put them on my disk sander. Holding the feet together. I lightly sanded the arc so that there is a smooth transition from foot to foot.
    Even if you cut the parts perfectly you may get a bit of misalignment after assembly.
    I hope this picture helps. I will also post this on the facebook page.

Sanding the feet.jpg
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

I may make those, Rolf.
    Denny
    ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Thanks Rolf. I made one yesterday and dry assembly it works great. Just need to put dowel in permanently today. I would of never thought to do a gentle sanding on the feet. I checked out his site and will be ordering some patterns. This was a fun project and rather quick and easy. Longest part was sanding wood and glue up.
      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

This toy is so cool. I did a little hand sanding on the legs and he just walked down a 3’ board without nosediving! I will be making lots more to sell at my shows. I would have never made us had a customer message
        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

This is so cool. I got him to walk down a 3 foot board without doing a nose dive. I just had to do a little hand sanding on the feet and that was all. I would have never made this had a customer not ask for something different for her grandson for Easter. I had the magazine there and she saw it on the cover and said I want that. Not being one to say no to a customer I said sure no problem. I will be ordering more from his site and these will be a staple in my shows. Your tip was very valuable Rolf. Thanks again. I’ll post a picture after I do the finish.
          Betty

Comment

Betty please post pictures of what you come up with. I really like the one pictured on page 28 0f the magazine that Hannah painted.

I am amazed by the popularity of this project.
            Last edited by Rolf; 03-25-2021, 07:57 AM.
            Rolf

Comment

I would have never tried this had my customer not asked for it. My grandson came over yesterday and he thought it was cool and I was a genius I got it to walk! That and a kiss and I was set for the night. They are so easy to make.
              Betty

Comment

I sent a video to my customer and she loved it! I got the elephant and woodpecker. As much as I don’t like to paint, the elephant needs to be pink! After all, we’ve all seen a pink elephant once or twice, right? 🥃🍹🍷
                Attached Files
                Betty

Comment

It looks great.!
                  Rolf

Comment

Customer really liked the hedgehog. I made the armadillo out of green poplar. No painting necessary. I raced these last night and the armadillo won every time.! I have the woodpecker and elephant ready to put together. Fun to do and different!
                    Attached Files
                    Betty

Comment

I look forward to seeing the other two.
                      Rolf

Comment

Check out this ramp walker Is is a star wars ATAT. The magazine couldn't publish it for copyright reasons
                        https://www.etsy.com/listing/7979801...search_click=1

Comment

Still working on them Rolf. Getting things ready for the holidays so I’m doing things in steps.
                          Betty

Comment

Funny, the Summer 2021 issue of Feinschnitt Kreativ has ramp and animals as well! They have a sheep, a porcupine, and a bird. Their ramp has blades of grass and the animals use a hinge between the two movable feet.

It's interesting to see such an old handmade toy make a resurgence!

Karl
                            Karl in Sunny Southwest Florida

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                              Reply to Tough Decisions
                              by will8989
                              Scott, I was referring to her pms to Bill Wilson and Quartz. They posted her reply by pms instead of on here.
                              Would be nice Quartz. I asked got Bob to put the issue next tp patterns and he said something about real estate. He found a way to do it and didn’t lose any real estate. Guess they don’t...
                              Today, 10:57 AM
                            • Quartz43
                              Reply to Tough Decisions
                              by Quartz43
                              I would be pleased if FC at least did a trial of printing A pattern on regular sized text and also providing a scale up factor. Their resistance to do anything if a real pain. It was a similar lack of action with the website that resulted in lost viewers.
                              Today, 09:46 AM
                            • NC Scroller
                              Reply to Tough Decisions
                              by NC Scroller
                              I think Kelly did that because I wrote a letter to the editor complaining about an article in the last addition. It was the article about staying connected online and it didn't mention the FC forum....
                              Today, 06:36 AM
                            • hotshot
                              Reply to Demo display
                              by hotshot
                              The fastest I've ever seen one of those 3d deer cuts was by Rick Hutcheson. That man was super fast when we was working the shows.

Here he is much more recently, and a bit slower: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riPDY6M-Lv8

Here is the pattern on Ricks' site: http://www....
                              Yesterday, 10:58 PM
                            • Linda In Phoenix
                              Reply to Woodgrain Worked Against Me
                              by Linda In Phoenix
                              Rodney you and your wife make a great team! Very nicely done sir.
                              Yesterday, 07:08 PM
                            Working...
                            X