Rhino

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhino

This is what I made today along with 103 toy trucks. I just found an image of a Rhino and cut it out of 3/4" sugar pine. 5" long 3" high. Critter Rino.jpg
    Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
    "No PHD, just a DD 214"

The Rhino is darling. Where do you get "sugar pine" from? I've seen it mentioned on the forum before, but it's not sold locally---at least by that name.
    Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

I buy sugar pine at my local lumber yard. I get it in 1x12x96" So it is actually 3/4"x11 3/8" by 96". I believe Sugar Pine grows on our northwest coast. I also use pine or fir lumber for making toys. I just go to Home Depot and pick out the lightest in weight and lightest in color 2x6's or 2x4's. Works almost as well for this. Today I am working on 17 more rhinos, only I am making them of African Mahogany that was given to me. Dark brown color suits this critter I guess.
      Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
      "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

Cute looking Rhino, Jim. The pine we have here is just listed as "pine"
        Denny
        ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

I found a few pieces of pine under my workbench that was clear and a light color. I asked the woodworker Bruce what kind it was and his answer was some kind of pine. DUH I knew that. He determined, how I don't know, it is white pine. He got it from the sawmill laying in a pile. It cut like a dream and I've started using it for my angels and birdhouses. It looks kind of like Jim's, but it is all clear no grain lines. It's free and I like the way it cuts and, ready for this, I plan on doing some painting of the birdhouse roofs!
          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by will8989 View Post
            I found a few pieces of pine under my workbench that was clear and a light color. I asked the woodworker Bruce what kind it was and his answer was some kind of pine. DUH I knew that. He determined, how I don't know, it is white pine. He got it from the sawmill laying in a pile. It cut like a dream and I've started using it for my angels and birdhouses. It looks kind of like Jim's, but it is all clear no grain lines. It's free and I like the way it cuts and, ready for this, I plan on doing some painting of the birdhouse roofs!
            Painting no but I have done pickling of some bird houses and they came out great. Not pickling like with cucumbers. Goggle it.
            Scott
            Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

That is one good looking rhino. Not bad for an in-between project

Comment

I haven’t done that in a long time Scott, both cucumbers and paint. Might have to do that. Thanks for the idea.
                Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X