Firetruck Completed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firetruck Completed

My great-nephew turned 5 on Sunday. When we saw him at Christmas 2018, he expressed interest in my husband being a volunteer firefighter. Since five is special, I decided that I would make him a firetruck for his birthday. I hoped it would be there before the birthday but alas I did not expect to be laid up so long from my left knee replacement done on October 9th since the right knee replacement in April went so well. A torn medial retinaculum in the same knee with surgical repair on Nov 27th [very rare less than 5% have this issue] and careful, slow recovery from that, pushed back my start as the shop is in the basement. After several long days in the shop and waiting on an order of more "truck-like" tires, here is the final truck.
    To start the truck, I used a free pattern from Aschi's Workshop as a stepping off point, modifying it as I went along. Because my husband is a turner, we have a bunch of turning blocks so some multi-piece parts are a single piece. I had a cherry board for the base that was wider and adjusted the sizes based on that board. The board made 3 bases so I while I was making one, I cut all the parts for two more. This truck is now off to Warner, a few days late but I think he will be very excited to open the box when it arrives. Over the next few weeks, I'll get the other two assembled and finished, then it is on to creating replica canal boats for a local historian.
    Woods: Cherry, Ash, Curly Maple, Walnut Finish: Danish Oil
    Wheels, Headlights, Steering Wheel - Woodworks, Ltd. (www.craftparts.com)
    Barbara
    Proud user of Excalibur, RBI Hawk, & Delta

That is super. What a great gift.
    Denny
    ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

A great piece of work, your grand nephew will certainly treasure the fire truck.

Comment

Great job, Barbara. A gift to be treasured! And best wishes for a full recovery.
        Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

A gift that should make his eyes light up.
          cwmagee
          aka Fibber
          Producer of fancy firewood​

Comment

What a beauty! Lucky little boy. Nice to have you posting again. I look forward to seeing pictures of the canal boats.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

That is so retro cool. Very very nice!
              Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• leehljp
                  Reply to coronavirus conversation
                  by leehljp
                  From a "Pen" forum:
                  Wife, calling out from another room: "Do you ever get a stabbing pain in your chest, you know, like someone is sticking pins in a Voodoo doll with your image on it?"

Me: No, Why?

Wife (about 5 seconds later) "How about now...
                  Yesterday, 08:59 PM
                • Linda In Phoenix
                  Reply to Ice Cream
                  by Linda In Phoenix
                  That's adorable! I haven't received my copy of that issue yet. I think it went slow truck this time. When I do I am going to check that out!
                  Yesterday, 08:28 PM
                • Linda In Phoenix
                  Reply to Why can I find..
                  by Linda In Phoenix
                  From what issue? This crayon is dull, but I'd like to help look.
                  Yesterday, 08:26 PM
                • Barb.Enders
                  Summer issue patterns
                  by Barb.Enders
                  It was great to receive the summer issue today as the snow squalls were flying I was very excited to copy to try the fretwork Parrot by Charlie Dearing. I have spiral blades on order and should be receiving them soon as well. Did you mean to cut the last bit of tail off. It looks odd that it has...
                  Yesterday, 06:35 PM
                • will8989
                  Why can I find..
                  by will8989
                  the extra balloon pattern from this issue? We know I'm not the brightest crayon in the box, my daughter's words, but I've searched for it on here and scrollersawer.com and nothing. Help!!
                  Yesterday, 12:37 PM
                Working...
                X