Work in progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work in progress

Last week we hit a cold spell, and so my woodworking was limited to sitting indoors behind the computer making new plans. So I went and made some drawings for a plane that has been a favorite of mine ever since I saw a picture of it in a library book back in Belgium.

This weekend temperatures got back to a cozy Texas November, which is about like May in every other part of the country. So I started getting the wood ready. This is as far as I got. Looking forward to next weekend.

Ps, Rolf, this is what I meant with a flat sided toy aircraft, although this one ended up a bit more extravagant with three engines and such. I have a some plans for simpler one-engined ones if you are interested.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ennobee; 11-28-2019, 07:23 PM.

Looking forward to the finished plane.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

It reminds me of the Fokker tri motor. I also look forward to the finished plane.
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I looked at the Fokker Tri-motor but with the way it's engines are suspended between the wings and the fuselage, it gets complicated quickly. However now you got me thinking, so who knows. A Fokker F.VII might be my next project.

Comment

In the meantime, here is my Italian tri-Motor ready to get a coat of finishing. I found that 1/8 in thickness for the hardwood accents is a bit of overkill. So may be leave that out in the final version or otherwise make the next model 50% bigger ànd use 1/2 in caftwood instead of the 1/4 I am using now. In the meantime I already have one plane to add to my collection

Comment

Update. My wife had some unplanned hospital visits and so I spent way too much time keeping her company with my laptop for entertainment. As a result I finished the first plans for a very simple Fokker F.VII Hopefully get to try them out after the holidays
            Fokker FVII 3m 1-48.gif
            While surfing the web for a Fokker trimotor, I came across this monstrosity, so I had to go ahead and make plans for this one as well.
            fokker-f32.jpg

The last and by all means final swansong of the lumbering wood-panel airplane era because famously after completing the last order for this airplane, Anthony Fokker sold his US factory to General Motors and used this money to buy himself the title of general distributor for the Douglas factory in Europe, selling the new DC2 to his native Holland airlines.

Hope I'll get to build this airplane pretty soon as well . In the meantime feel free to copy the plans and try out for yourselves.
            Fokker-32-1-72.gif
            Attached Files

Comment

What software are you using?
              Rolf

Comment

I'm still using a 20 year old version of a drawing program called Paint Shop Pro. Pretty much any non-vector drawing program like Gimp and Paint.net should do. I just haven't found the time to teach myself to use any new program over the last 10 years. Basically all I need is 4 basic functions:
                =}Rescale images (to get the plans to the right scale or paper format)
                = }Draw lines(to retrace the outlines and components)
                =}Magic wand selection (to lift my outlines from the original plans and copy them to a new paper. Also to move the parts around to fit them on a letter-sized paper for printing)
                =} General drawing/pixel editing 'pen' tool to clean up the final work

Eventually I will have to retrace all my plans in Inkscape to turn them into vector images but for now and for myself a simple paint program is good enough.
                Last edited by Ennobee; 12-23-2019, 09:33 PM.

Comment

I have a variety of programs, I upgrade my Paint shop pro every year, I also have Corel draw which I am trying to make my primary vector based drawing program. I also have a copy of Autodesk Fusion, they have a free version for hobbyists, even though I have used Autocad since version 1.6 I lost my program rights when I retired. Fusion is a 3d modeling software something I always wanted to learn.
                  Rolf

Comment

I have to try out that Autodesk fusion then. Sounds interesting.

As for drawing programs, looks like you're all set to draw and print your own designs. If you want I can make something of a tutorial when I design.my next airplane. Just a couple of screen shots with some texts, but it should do the trick.

Comment

Almost five months on and due to most of my other hobbies being quarantined, I spend more and more time with my scrollsaw again. So this afternoon, I got to revisit my old plans and scroll myself the Fokker Trimotor.

I had to change the plans on the fly adjusting for 1/2 in. Palletwood, which is the one wood I got in abundance right now. Good thing was that half if the fancy extra effects I planned turned out unnesessary or even detrimental to the overall look and feel once I decided to embrace a toy look rather than a model one. Overall the model clocks in at 13 pieces and 6 screws.

still unsure whether I should give it a bright coat of paint - this particular Army transport variant looked pretty stunning with a blue fuselage and yellow wings- or just give it a quick sanding and a coat of shellack. Anyhow. I have until he weekend to decide.
                      Last edited by Ennobee; 04-22-2020, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X