Train set

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Train set

We, in our club, delivered 2200 toys this week so now I have started making toys for our Christmas time delivery. I made sixteen more trucks and this train set so far. I plan to make more of these train sets. These are made using some 3/4" oak plywood I have, One inch and 1 1/2" wheels are used on the locomotive and all the other cars have 1" wheels with 1/4" dowels as axles. I think the locomotive needs one more set of 1" wheels just behind the first set. I need to do that on this locomotive and on future ones. I made the tank car using a piece of oak and a large round over bit in my router. No pattern (I need to make one) I just thought up this design so I may tweak it a bit on future train sets. Very little use of my scroll saw on this project.
    Train set.JPG
    Last edited by Jim Finn; 06-13-2019, 05:25 AM.
    Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
    No PHD, but I have my GED and my DD 214"
    Website https://craftingcouple.com/

What neat little train! WOW that is a lot of toys.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Nice train!

My daughter has a small, table top Christmas tree she decorates only with ornaments I've made for her over the past couple decades. I made a similar train set, to put around the base. Even made a lighted star for the top. The grandkids really liked it.
      Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Jim, that is very impressive.
        Denny
        ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Jim, that is really great, very well done, how long did it take you to make, RJ
          Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

Why tweak perfection?
            Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Thank you all for the kind comments.
              It took me about 8-10 hours to design and make that one. I am, today, working on making six sets like this. I have the Bases all finished (42 of them) but the wheels are not yet installed. Bases are drilled out for the axles though. I should get these six completed tomorrow so that means it takes me about three hours to make one train set. I do not apply any finish to toys. I buy the wheels and axles. I enjoy mass producing things like this.

Comment

Jim, congratulations to your group for all they do to help underprivileged children. I am sure there are many happy children thanks to your group. This train looks great. Unlike you, I don't think I enjoy mass producing thing.
                Melanie from East TN

Comment

Very nice. I agree the locomotive needs another set of wheels.
                  Curious as to what organizations received the 2200 toys. The St Louis Woodworkers Guild has expanded its giving from just children's hospitals to also include some agencies that deal with foster children.

"Time to give back."
                  "Time to Give Back"

Comment

Our woodworking club delivers toys in June and again in December. 4000-5200 toys per year. We give toys to a hospital, Ronald McDonald House and The Salvation Army (Most go to The Salvation Army)
                    We also give out an additional 400 toys at a Christmas event sponsored by Lubbock Christian University. We fund our club by donations at this event. I make a door prize for this event each year.
                    our club is paid for that also. Cedar boxes with images inlaid into the hinged lids. These are the door prizes I made for the past two years. Grinch box.jpgMickey and Minnie 2.jpg

Comment

Jim, you and the members of your generous club are wonderful inspirations to all community minded people. Thank you--- and beautiful work!
                      Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X