Has anyone made the Hamilton Logs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone made the Hamilton Logs?

How did they turn out? Did you change anything?

Dave

Hamilton logs? I must have missed something somewhere.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Are those like Lincoln Logs?
      Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

Dave, I'm in the process of completing the log set but
        I did make a couple of changes to how you did things. First of all, the thought of cutting 538 notches with the scroll saw seemed too daunting so I made a fence to add to my miter gauge with a moveable stop to semi-automate the process. It can be used with either a dado blade (TS) or router bit. The stop was positioned with a pin at precise locations to cut the notches at the spacing specified in your drawing. I realize some readers don't have that option but for me it worked. The other thing I did was glue a small wooden wedge at the end of the long gable pieces rather than using a flathead screw. I thought it might be less of a hazard to little fingers.

I have one problem. My large flat rate box from the PO measures 12"x12"x5.5". Obviously the 17" logs are not going to pack into it. Have they changed the flat rate boxes since you published this? What are the dimensions of the box you used in your packing guide?

Bruce

Bruce
        . . . because each piece will be someone's heirloom someday.
        visit sometime
        Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Comment

They have an extra large box. I use it at Christmas to send stuff to the grandkids in Texas. You can package it yourself and take to the post office to mail. I meant to say you can package in a box you have to fit and mail express or first class for tracking.
          Last edited by will8989; 07-08-2018, 07:55 AM.
          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Any pictures of your jigs and final pieces would be fun to see.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I'll work on that Rolf as soon as I get them finished
              Bruce
              visit sometime
              Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Comment

Post Office has keyboard sized flat rate boxes. (ID: 11-3/4" x 3-1/8" x 23-5/8". The number on the side is PS00011000074. As for using other tools, when I write for SSWW I restrict my tools to a common set I believe most scrollers wood have. Cutting notches is not that bad I just cut a couple every time a walked by the scroll saw. Ripping wood with a scroll saw ain't much fun either.

Comment

For those of you who haven't seen Dave's article, here are some pics of the logs …
                  Bruce
                  visit sometime
                  Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Comment

Also, I decided I was going to deliver this myself instead of mailing it, so I made a "log cabin" box to pack/store the logs in. I used the same rough sawn cedar that I used for the roof slats …
                    Bruce
                    visit sometime
                    Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Comment

Love the box. What are the dimensions? Also how did you install the floor?

Comment

Inside dimensions are 8"(D) x 20"(w) x 8"(H) + an extra 1" inside the lid. When neatly stacked the logs sit about 2.5" below the top of the box. I figured this plus the extra inch inside the lid should leave enough room for the logs to be dumped in (not stacked) by little hands and still fit. The 'log' ends extend an extra 1" past the outside of the box. The floor is held in place by a cleat running around the inside flush with the bottom of the sides. I'm still trying to figure out how I want to attach handles of some sort.
                        Bruce
                        visit sometime
                        Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Comment

I think rope handles would be perfect.

Comment

Dave, I was thinking of that but had concerns. Even though the box pieces are half-lapped they are only 3/8" thick and if you throw in the chamfer on the outside edge there isn't a lot of glue surface there. I was concerned about durability. I was thinking about gluing a 1" piece across the end near the bottom and run the rope through it. That way the weight would be picked up near the bottom instead of nearer the middle. Alternatively I was also thinking of gluing this piece in mid level and dishing out finger holds on the underside. Any thoughts?
                            Bruce
                            visit sometime
                            Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Comment

You only need the chamfer on the outside You could also nail some vertical slats on the insde to hold the pieces together.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X